Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Bode (Miller) says he could ‘give up tomorrow’

zoony

I know he's a guy who got drunk the night before an olympic event.

:laugh: pretty much.

the thing is i understand how someone can hate their own hype machine. i can understand wanting to be anonymous and not be expected to dominate.

i just don't like the innuendo of, "they are forcing me to do this". i can understand he is into skiing more for the love than money and recognition. he could have easily declined the olympics and just continued on the other championship series that go during the year.

I agree with most of his points, and if thats his attitude, so be it. Bode's attitude from the start is that he's not a guy that is focused on Olympic gold like a laser beam. He is going to do what he wants to do, and do it on his own terms. I totally respect that, just as I have respected the 100's of other athletes that have done that.

That being said, I wish this Olympics wasnt the Bode Miller show. There are a thousand other athletes with stories more interesting than his.

Not really Dean. He's had that same attitude since I rode chairs with him at Mt. Hood in 1997. Just ask people who went to BMA with him.

I'm not saying this is something new Iheart, just that it's bs. He's entitled, it's a free country and all, but he's dead wrong. It's all about the partying and being imature. He's trying to make it into some phylosophical BS, so that he doesn't have to admit it. I saw the TV special about his quirky family, nothing wrong with it, he just should've stayed home. Even if he does win a medal now, it won't erase the disrespect he brought on the Country and the Team. And likely he will be scruntinized for doping. :2cents:

I'm not saying this is something new Iheart, just that it's bs. He's entitled, it's a free country and all, but he's dead wrong. It's all about the partying and being imature. He's trying to make it into some phylosophical BS, so that he doesn't have to admit it. I saw the TV special about his quirky family, nothing wrong with it, he just should've stayed home. Even if he does win a medal now, it won't erase the disrespect he brought on the Country and the Team. And likely he will be scruntinized for doping. :2cents:

Well, he's not the first guy to be a little crazy on the USST. Bill Johnson, who, granted, won an incredibly unlikely Gold Medal, was also a character.

I do see what you are saying--I just see things differently because I've seen who he is evolve over a longer period of time such that what he's saying now doesn't surprise me and doesn't really embarass me as an American. But like I said--I understand where you are coming from.

Well, he's not the first guy to be a little crazy on the USST. Bill Johnson, who, granted, won an incredibly unlikely Gold Medal, was also a character.

I do see what you are saying--I just see things differently because I've seen who he is evolve over a longer period of time such that what he's saying now doesn't surprise me and doesn't really embarass me as an American. But like I said--I understand where you are coming from.

Likewise, I don't hate the guy. And I'm not embarassed by him. He's an individual. I just feel sorry for the team. Later on he will too. Lastly, this ties into what you said about Bill Johnson, what make Miller a great skier also makes him disfunctional. This is typical of allot of musicians, the same thing that makes them so creative, makes them self destructive as well.

Some people don't buy into that. Ski racing is not a team sport. It's purely individual--except that you sometimes get course reports from your teammates, that's it.

And even if his attitude isn't to your liking, would you rather have someone representing the US that's got a really good chance to win gold or someone who really wants to be there, but sucks?

I think his attitude prevents him from winning gold. I don't know jack about professional skiing, or any skiing for that matter, but in any competition at that level you have to totally be into it or you won't be able to compete with the worlds best. If he doesn't like the current situation, he could do something constructive about it. But, he's too interested in being a rebel partier.

Guest Gichin13

maybe if he was not drinking the night before his race, he would have actually medalled.

I think that is lame. If you do not give a damn, why race.

His points are ok, but I'm tired of him. If he doesn't care, then why race in the first place? He just takes this nonchalant attitude whenever he doesn't win. Maybe its a defense mechanisim....but whatever, like I said, I'm tired of him.

Yes, but even with his nonchalant attitude, he still gets the nod to compete in the Olympics. My question is why can't a dedicated, "serious" skiier beat him and take his place on the team? Because he's that damn good.

Archived