Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good news for us on Antonio Bryant!

FootballGuy2677

I wonder why Romeo Crennel does not want him anymore. Crennel is a good coach and I suspect he has a good reason for letting him go.

you have to ask that question.. but they have both winslow and edwards returning next year and have alot invested inthose 2 players. from everything i have read he has been no problem for the browns staff and he did account for 1000 yards with terrible qb's...

Cleveland was an awful team in 2004 and 2005. I wouldn't generalize too much over the stats except to note that Bryant was able to stay healthy and be productive in a scheme where the team didn't know who the quarterback was going to be from week to week.

Understatement of the year. I have to watch those terrible guys when I can't go to a sports bar and watch the Skins. Half those balls Bryant dropped were probably catches he was diving for. I think Charlie Frye will be a good QB but what Romeo Crennel did with Cleveland only one year after Butch Davis screwed the team up is amazing. 6-10 and the Cleveland fans were angry. I tell every one who will listen how lucky they were to win 1 game after Butch Davis was through.

That all said. I don't think Bryant would be bad but I think there are better options.

HE threw a jersey in parcell's face and basically told him screw you im outta here. Besides he doesnt drop as many balls as most people think, and he did receive pretty much ALL the balls out here in cleveland. With winslow down (again :doh: ) and braylon getting hurt later on in the season, as well as hardly playing earlier in the season, bryant got almost everything. He'd be a pretty decent number 2 but i'd still rather have lloyd or koren robinson, both of whom would be probably cheaper and better.

i like lloyd a lot but he is a true RFA costing a #4 with no guarantee that the niners would not match.

robinson is a reformed sinner and carries that risk, puls his contract allows the vikes to match any offer.

the skins will likely look for a quick resolution of the problem on mar 3

Demetric Evans started his career in Dallas. So did Brandon Noble.

We have gotten some quality mileage out of these guys.

I think the secret is not to acquire any players from Dallas that are showboats :laugh:

We don't need any Deions, Keyshawns, Terry Glenns, etc.. here in Washington.

But the work a day players? There are a number of guys I would take.

One would be tight end Dan Campbell. He is a very good blocker, much better than Robert Royal, and is a very heady player as well.

campbell is a free agent but i think he has said he wants to return to dallas.

he seems to be more an h back or fullback rather than a true tight end

Cleveland was an awful team in 2004 and 2005. I wouldn't generalize too much over the stats except to note that Bryant was able to stay healthy and be productive in a scheme where the team didn't know who the quarterback was going to be from week to week.

and caught 1000 yards worth of catches. not a shabby season's effort

i like lloyd a lot but he is a true RFA costing a #4 with no guarantee that the niners would not match.

robinson is a reformed sinner and carries that risk, puls his contract allows the vikes to match any offer.

Brandon Lloyd seems to disapear somtimes ive heard.

Truthfully, i just rather draft a reciever like Jason Avant, Maurice Stovall, Martin Nance. Believe it or not we are not a super bowl or nothing type club yet like some think and i think we still have time to develope recievers and such... I think we become one of those clubs if Jason Campbell becomes a success so we might as well develope what we need now.

Though a Super Bowl would be nice.

Gardner? He caught what 20 balls this year and was cut by the Panthers and ended up as the #5 receiver for the Packers after 3 of their WRs ended up on IR? :laugh:

And someone is going to compare a 1,000 yard receiver to those stats for Gardner?

i think gardner did have 1 season where he managed a lot of yardage, but i agree he will be out of the league this coming year

Brandon Lloyd seems to disapear somtimes ive heard.

Truthfully, i just rather draft a reciever like Jason Avant, Maurice Stovall, Martin Nance. Believe it or not we are not a super bowl or nothing type club yet like some think and i think we still have time to develope recievers and such... I think we become one of those clubs if Jason Campbell becomes a success so we might as well develope what we need now.

Though a Super Bowl would be nice.

with all due respect... i once researched every single redskin draft pick spent on a receiver over the past 30 years.... only 2, charlie taylor and art monk, had any long term impact. the rest were either total busts or aquired some other way. even keenan mccardell escaped to be productive elsewhere. charlie brown had 3 years..

simply put, the skins could not draft a receiver if they had an extra 2 picks per round. premium picks, mid rangers, low rounders... all turn out the same

lloyd does seem to get lost at times but you have to remember who was throwing the ball for the niners..

Here's a stat that might turn some people off of Bryant: His drops aren't THAT bad (although terpfan is correct that you can't compare him to other players who had significantly more targets), but his catches/target ratio is pretty bad.

His ratio is 69/123, which comes out to 56% of the time he was targeted, he made the catch. Obviously, that is influenced partly by the fact that his QB play was poor, but it is not a very impressive statistic to say the least.

Other top WRs are well over 60% in catches/targets, and here are some of the other players we might be targeting in this FA season:

Reggie Wayne: 83/122 = 68%

David Givens: 59/95 = 62%

Joe Jurevicius: 55/84 = 65%

Eric Moulds: 81/129 = 63%

Antwaan Randle El: 35/69 = 50%

As you can see here, the first 4 available (or possibly available) WRs had a significantly

higher percentage of catches per target. I think this makes them much more attractive than a Bryant or a Randle El because, for whatever reason, those players create a completion significantly more often when the ball comes their way. This is especially more important for us when you consider we are set as far as pure deep threats go with Santana and Patten, and instead need consistency.

I know I know :( . A fourth round pick or the number four pick as in first round??? I think I might be willing to give up a fourth rounder for him though. I dont know i still think id take that risk for either of those guys over most of the other people in the draft. Does lloyd do anything else for the 49ers, on special teams??? I know robinson does, and that could help as well.

Understatement of the year. I have to watch those terrible guys when I can't go to a sports bar and watch the Skins. Half those balls Bryant dropped were probably catches he was diving for. I think Charlie Frye will be a good QB but what Romeo Crennel did with Cleveland only one year after Butch Davis screwed the team up is amazing. 6-10 and the Cleveland fans were angry. I tell every one who will listen how lucky they were to win 1 game after Butch Davis was through.

That all said. I don't think Bryant would be bad but I think there are better options.

No, the ones he dropped go right into his hands, hes scared to take hits also. I remember in the Monday night game againts the steelers Trent Dilfer threw it right to him but he saw sombody coming and he dropped the ball.

I don't know if Bryant could be a team first player.

Koren Robinson maybe our guy, he has seem to really turned his life arund

Did you see that drop in the Skills challenge, I was for him before now I am gunna have to pass on him. I am really hoping Bryant lands here...if not then Givens or JJ.

Did you see that drop in the Skills challenge, I was for him before now I am gunna have to pass on him. I am really hoping Bryant lands here...if not then Givens or JJ.

i hope bryant signs here too, but seriously, you can't judge a player's talents based on a dropped pass in a skills challenge while he's on vacation and it doesn't count. some of those things shot out so fast and so high at some guys that they didn't even bother to make the effort to jump for it.

Here's a stat that might turn some people off of Bryant: His drops aren't THAT bad (although terpfan is correct that you can't compare him to other players who had significantly more targets), but his catches/target ratio is pretty bad.

His ratio is 69/123, which comes out to 56% of the time he was targeted, he made the catch. Obviously, that is influenced partly by the fact that his QB play was poor, but it is not a very impressive statistic to say the least.

Other top WRs are well over 60% in catches/targets, and here are some of the other players we might be targeting in this FA season:

Reggie Wayne: 83/122 = 68%

David Givens: 59/95 = 62%

Joe Jurevicius: 55/84 = 65%

Eric Moulds: 81/129 = 63%

Antwaan Randle El: 35/69 = 50%

As you can see here, the first 4 available (or possibly available) WRs had a significantly

higher percentage of catches per target. I think this makes them much more attractive than a Bryant or a Randle El because, for whatever reason, those players create a completion significantly more often when the ball comes their way. This is especially more important for us when you consider we are set as far as pure deep threats go with Santana and Patten, and instead need consistency.

Wayne - Pro bowl qb.

Givens- Pro Bowl qb

Jerevicius- Super bowl qb

Moulds - No clue, maybe he's just good

Randle El - Super bowl winning qb

That's what these guys have to work with compared to who in Cleveland? Anybody who has as many dropped passes as Steve Smith and probably hates Dallas as much as I do should be atleast consider, you know what I mean? Givens and Bryant should be affordable, that's a reasonable WR core to go with Moss and AB when he gets back. :)

These guys have more drops? wow!

Plaxico Burress 11

Musshin Muhammad 11

Dante Stallwort 10

Antonio Gates 9

Chad Johnson 9

Tory Holt 8

Roy Williams 8

Joey Galloway 8

Santana Moss 8

Tied with Steve Smith for 7

I'll take that! Whats so bad about this guy? Hes not TO, upside or downside. Besides having 1small problem with The Tuna, what has he done to warrent the bashing you guys give him.

I'll take that! Whats so bad about this guy? Hes not TO, upside or downside. Besides having 1small problem with The Tuna, what has he done to warrent the bashing you guys give him.

Exactly what I am trying to convey, its not like the Tuna is known for a great attitude anyways.

I know I know :( . A fourth round pick or the number four pick as in first round??? I think I might be willing to give up a fourth rounder for him though. I dont know i still think id take that risk for either of those guys over most of the other people in the draft. Does lloyd do anything else for the 49ers, on special teams??? I know robinson does, and that could help as well.

no. he is strictly a receiver. but moss #2 receivers do not play special teams as a rule. robinson is the exception

actually, it was a series of conflicts with tuna that led up to the towel throwing incident

I don't think signing Bryant would be a horrible pick up. He had his issue with BP, but like some have already said Parcells can make you hate him. He's also been very productive in Cleveland, in a program where he was one of the only threats that the team had. I think he could be similar to Moss, if given the chance he might blossom more than we could ever suspect.

Archived