Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help Wanted: Which HOF Voters Are For/Against Monk

Ax

I know there have been a flood of Art Monk threads, so I apologize for making another.

However, I'm trying to determine as best I can which HOF voters need to be turned from the dark side, and a search didn't result in an answer. If you know how one of them voted, give us the info and I'll update the list below.

This color indicates a Pro-Art voter.

This color will be used for the idiots.

These are the ones I think I have right. I'll correct any mistake you might know of as well.

Thanks for helping.

Pro Football Hall of Fame Board of Selectors

Arizona Kent Somers, Arizona Republic Mr. Somers responded that he did not vote this year.

Atlanta Furman Bisher, The Atlanta Journal Most likely, based on recent article

Baltimore Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV

Buffalo Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News

Carolina Charles Chandler, Charlotte Observer

Chicago Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune*

Cincinnati Chick Ludwig, Dayton Daily News Big Monk supporter.

Cleveland Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*

Denver Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

Detroit Jerry Green, The Detroit News*

Green Bay Cliff Christl, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Based on his blog, and email.

Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle* He answered my email. Nice guy.

Indianapolis Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star

Jacksonville Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV

Kansas City Bob Gretz, KCFX Overland Park, KS

Miami Edwin Pope, Miami Herald*

Minnesota Sid Hartman, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune

New England Ron Borges, Boston Globe

New Orleans Pete Finney, Times-Picayune

New York (Giants) Vinny DiTrani, Bergen Record

New York (Jets) Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated

Oakland Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange From his email response.

Philadelphia Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News

Pittsburgh Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

St. Louis Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

San Diego Jerry Magee, San Diego Union Tribune*

San Francisco Ira Miller, San Francisco Chronicle* Found an article where he said so.

Seattle John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN Magazine

Tampa Bay Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune

Tennessee David Climer, The Tennessean According to his email.

Washington Len Shapiro, Washington Post*

PFWA David Elfin, Washington Times

At Large Jarrett Bell, USA Today

At Large Dave Goldberg, Associated Press*

At Large Peter King, Sports Illustrated

At Large Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times

At Large Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

At Large Mike Wilbon, Washington Post

* Also serves on the Senior Selection Committee.

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

Nobody truly knows who votes for a canidate. Guys like King who are honest they voted against him ok. But has Zimmerman or Pastabelly said they voted against him? As for guys that say they voted for him how do you know? The votes are sealed. They can say whatever you want to hear to keep their email box from being flooded even if they really voted against him.

Cliff Christl was adamantly against Art Monk last year. He had a blog about all the reasons why he was against Art Monk. I also wrote him in a what I thought was an even-handed letter, but it was fairly obvious to me from his response that his mind was closed on the subject.

Ira Miller in a 12/18/2005 column on sfgate.com said about Art Monk's candidacy "his time is overdue" -- I believe he is a yes.

I saw a list compiled by Rick Gosselin ranking the WR's which had Bob Hayes, Cliff Branch, Otis Taylor and Drew Pearson ranked ahead of Monk approx. 2 years ago -- I did a search today and could not find it.

Bernie Miklasz, in a 1/18/2002 St. Louis Post-Dispatch article. said he put a "pretty strong yes" beside Monk's name for HOF induction.

I saw in one of his columns that John McClain's wife is a big Redskin fan and has given him grief every time Monk doesn't make it.

I saw a list compiled by Rick Gosselin ranking the WR's which had Bob Hayes, Cliff Branch, Otis Taylor and Drew Pearson ranked ahead of Monk approx. 2 years ago -- I did a search today and could not find it.

Do a search for rick gosselin art monk and halfway down you will find a write up from his blog where he says Monk deserves to be in

Cliff Christl was adamantly against Art Monk last year. He had a blog about all the reasons why he was against Art Monk. I also wrote him in a what I thought was an even-handed letter, but it was fairly obvious to me from his response that his mind was closed on the subject.

Me too. He at least reponded to my email, and we went back and forth a bit. He's clearly not changing his mind, which is too bad because his reasoning is the worst of the nay-sayers. Just terrible.

Do a search for rick gosselin art monk and halfway down you will find a write up from his blog where he says Monk deserves to be in

The entry I saw by Gosselin said that Monk had the statistics to be in the HOF -- I didn't see an endorsement. His comment could be interpreted as a back-handed slap at Monk using the compiler argument.

The entry I saw by Gosselin said that Monk had the statistics to be in the HOF -- I didn't see an endorsement. His comment could be interpreted as a back-handed slap at Monk using the compiler argument.

Same thing I thought.

Somebody just needs to make a recording of all the times Monk got us the first down on 3rd and long or got our offense going when it couldn't move the ball in games. A player like him is what this offense was missing this year even though we had Cooley, but Cooley disappeared in some games.

Monk stepped up in those situations and was a huge reason our average teams could win 10-11 games, and our great ones made it through the playoffs with wins because of his key plays that are less recognized. He did this for more than a decade, that makes him a HOFer.

The biggest thing holding Monk back I think is that he was injured during 2 of our SB winning seasons and was less than 100% in the 1988 SB and wasn't used much (1 catch 40 yards).

Thats nothing to hold against him. He still held the most important receiving records when he retired and had a great game in sb 26.

What did Largent ever do in the postseason? How about Joiner? Those are the 2 guys who held the receptions record before Monk, they are in the HOF too. 0 SB rings or appearances between them. In fact, their teams lost more than won. The record that got both of them into the HOF is somehow not enough for Monk even though he did a lot more in his career other than set that record.

it still burns my *** that Art is not in the HOF -- anyone who is a true follower of football knows that he belongs, all the guys who did not vote for Art continue to show that its politics, not whether they actually deserve it -- Art will always be in my Hall of Fame!!!!!! :cheers:

When I tell people Monk is not in the Hall they say i'm wrong, of course he is.Like they figure its a gimme that he would be in.

I guess we'll have to wait until Pastabelly and Queen croak.

Funny how Gosselin says Monk doesn't have a signature catch, though Lynn Swann did and it took him forever to get in. I have always agreed with the bias against the 70's Cowboys, because there should be more of them in there(even though I hate anyone who wears a star), but now I think there is a BIG BIAS against the Skins of the 80's and very early 90's. Monk, Grimm, Jacoby, Lachey, Bostic, and then a nod to Mann, Manley, and Marshall? I can see some not getting in, but maybe a nod? I mean come on. But it's ridiculous. Hall of Fames are nice but both the baseball and football writers screw it up all the time!

Who knows but enough blaming king and Z. Who is the clown that is doing a half a55 job of representing D.C. on the HOF comittee?

I know Mike Wilbon has in the past.

According to King, at least Len Shapiro from the Post and David Elfin from the Times did this year.

Also, I've updated the list again. Return emails are trickling in.

I know Mike Wilbon has in the past.

According to King, at least Len Shapiro from the Post and David Elfin from the Times did this year.

Also, I've updated the list again. Return emails are trickling in.

Hi Ax,

I wanted to thank you for starting this thread. It has inspired me to create this site:

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/

I'm going to try to research each and every Hall of Fame voter over the course of the next year. The project is just in its infancy, but I think there's a good amount of information out there to be compiled.

Archived