Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are people so high on Randel El?(Merged)

wilbur58z

People keep mentioning him as the "legit" #2 we need but what I've seen of him hasn't been that impressive.

He just doesn't look like a polished receiver. Obviously he was a QB before reaching the NFL. Pittsburgh uses him as a gadget player like they used Kordell Stewart and what did Kordell do when he left Pittsburgh? Nothing.

His numbers have almost declined each year and were never high to begin with.

He drops balls.

He was never Pittsburgh's #2 until this year and Cedric Wilson has begun to overtake him in the playoffs.

And he plays across from Hines Ward, which should alert us to the possible Peerless Price factor here with him.

So by no means does this guy look like the player we need. There is no evidence of that at all.

People keep mentioning him as the "legit" #2 we need but what I've seen of him hasn't been that impressive.

He just doesn't look like a polished receiver. Obviously he was a QB before reaching the NFL. Pittsburgh uses him as a gadget player like they used Kordell Stewart and what did Kordell do when he left Pittsburgh? Nothing.

His numbers have almost declined each year and were never high to begin with.

He drops balls.

He was never Pittsburgh's #2 until this year and Cedric Wilson has begun to overtake him in the playoffs.

And he plays across from Hines Ward, which should alert us to the possible Peerless Price factor here with him.

So by no means does this guy look like the player we need. There is no evidence of that at all.

You basically answered your own question. Because of Randle-El's versatility he keeps opposing defenses from doubling Ward and that's why it's hard to keep Ward in check. Moss went through a slump in the middle of the season because we had no viable #2 and was constantly being double teamed.

A #2 doesn't have to put up big numbers in order to be a viable threat IMO. As long as they take some of the coverage away from Moss they are doing what a #2 is supposed to do. :2cents:

You basically answered your own question. Because of Randle-El's versatility he keeps opposing defenses from doubling Ward and that's why it's hard to keep Ward in check. Moss went through a slump in the middle of the season because we had no viable #2 and was constantly being double teamed.

A #2 doesn't have to put up big numbers in order to be a viable threat IMO. As long as they take some of the coverage away from Moss they are doing what a #2 is supposed to do. :2cents:

patten wasnt doing that?

I've been reading threads about Wayne and other WRs, and people keep mentioning Randle El as someone we want in the Burgandy and Gold. I originally titled this post "Just Say No to Antwaan Randle El", but after reading my own facts... I think that's more of an emotional argument.

I frequent a website dedicated statistical methods of player evaluation, FootballOutsiders.com. They are the writers of the book "Pro Football Prospectus" and use techniques similar to "Moneyball" for football. I know, it doesn't measure "heart", "swagger", "desire" or "courage"... but it's an objective look based on stats. Here are ARE's stats for this year:

Passes: 70

Receptions: 35

Catch %: 50% (yikes!)

Yards: 558

TD: 1

Based on these stats, ARE is ranked as the 75th WR... right behind Arnez Battle (SF), Scottie Vines (DET), and in front of Reggie Williams (JAX).

Last year he was ranked 42nd, which tells me he is a better 3rd receiver than a 2nd.

Taylor Jacobs and David Patten both ranked below 80... so ARE would be an upgrade, which is an even scarier thought. According to these stats, Steve Smith was #1, with Chad Johnson and Santana Moss statistically close enough to be tied for #2 for all intents and purposes.

As alternatives to ARE I would suggest: Az-Zahir Hakim, Shaun McDonald (RFA), Reche Caldwell, Keenan McCardell, Joe Jurevicius, David Givens (RFA), Antonio Bryant, and Jerheme Urban (RFA). All of these players score higher than ARE as WRs.

If you are wondering about punt return duties... we had really bad marks for our punt returner, and I believe ARE would also be an upgrade there, but he still is around the average for a punt returner.

It is scary to think that adding in an average punt returner or WR would be a marked improvement. I think the Redskins best course of action is to try and sign two free agent WRs, and draft a third.

I actually feel that the constant threat of Randel El is what intrigues people most..... I for one wouldnt mind seeing him come here because of the respect in coverage that he has to have from the opposing team... I think this is what people like about him the most... teams would not be able to double Moss nearly as much with Randel El being such a big threat for an end around or screen or pass...

I am not sure if he would produce as much as people think.. but i do think that he would allow Moss to become even more of a threat for us... once again just because of the threat that Randel El presents to teams....

This is what depth is all about. The Steelers are somewhat of a running team so ARE is not going to have incredible states there as a 2 or 3 guy. I don't think his stats as a Skin in 2006 would be a heck of a lot better. He is a very good punt returner and he would command more attention than Jacobs, so if the price is right, it would be a great fit for the Skins as long as we can get a possession receiver as well. That may not be the case though, because if you ask Steelers fans they will tell you Antwaan Randle El is very ****y and he's going to milk his new team for every penny.

I don't think it's Randel El opening it up for Ward, who's one of the best receivers in the league. That's a little absurd. Ward was having success when Randel El was hardly even playing when Plaxico was there. It's the other way around.

I'm just not convinced we should bring in another team's #3 receiver to be our #2, which is what we did with Patten last year.

Especially at the price Randel El will seemingly command in free agency. His name has popped up a lot already with some other teams. His value will be inflated once he hits the market. Especially if the Steelers win the Super Bowl and/or Randel makes a couple big plays this Sunday.

I've been reading threads about Wayne and other WRs, and people keep mentioning Randle El as someone we want in the Burgandy and Gold. I originally titled this post "Just Say No to Antwaan Randle El", but after reading my own facts... I think that's more of an emotional argument.

I frequent a website dedicated statistical methods of player evaluation, FootballOutsiders.com. They are the writers of the book "Pro Football Prospectus" and use techniques similar to "Moneyball" for football. I know, it doesn't measure "heart", "swagger", "desire" or "courage"... but it's an objective look based on stats. Here are ARE's stats for this year:

Passes: 70

Receptions: 35

Catch %: 50% (yikes!)

Yards: 558

TD: 1

Based on these stats, ARE is ranked as the 75th WR... right behind Arnez Battle (SF), Scottie Vines (DET), and in front of Reggie Williams (JAX).

Last year he was ranked 42nd, which tells me he is a better 3rd receiver than a 2nd.

Taylor Jacobs and David Patten both ranked below 80... so ARE would be an upgrade, which is an even scarier thought. According to these stats, Steve Smith was #1, with Chad Johnson and Santana Moss statistically close enough to be tied for #2 for all intents and purposes.

As alternatives to ARE I would suggest: Az-Zahir Hakim, Shaun McDonald (RFA), Reche Caldwell, Keenan McCardell, Joe Jurevicius, David Givens (RFA), Antonio Bryant, and Jerheme Urban (RFA). All of these players score higher than ARE as WRs.

If you are wondering about punt return duties... we had really bad marks for our punt returner, and I believe ARE would also be an upgrade there, but he still is around the average for a punt returner.

It is scary to think that adding in an average punt returner or WR would be a marked improvement. I think the Redskins best course of action is to try and sign two free agent WRs, and draft a third.

I like Jurevicius, based on his size and stats, and watching him perform. Great possession reciever, good in the red zone:

Height: 6-5

Weight: 230

Passes: 84

Receptions: 55

Catch %: 65%

Yards: 694

TD: 10

Forget Randle-El, there are a lot of available WRs better than him.

What's more, Pittsburgh is primarily a running team and are just know opening up the offense in the playoffs. Randel was a number 3 receiver prior to because the had Burress there. Randal has always thought the Steelers quite never have used him right. His passing numbers are pretty sick.

It's more his versitilety that attracts people. The selection of available receivers is not great. Moulds to me is too old. TO a headcase. Wayne, it seems is not going anywhere. Jeravicious -- perhaps. I certainly thank El scares coordinators more then Jeravicious.

Randel El would be dangerous on the receiver screens we like to run. To me, he's just one of the better choices of the available options. Also, many times players get in a new system and flourish. Look at Moss with us this year. He had a career year. Really did anyone anticipate that.

Archived