Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are people so high on Randel El?(Merged)

wilbur58z

You basically answered your own question. Because of Randle-El's versatility he keeps opposing defenses from doubling Ward and that's why it's hard to keep Ward in check. Moss went through a slump in the middle of the season because we had no viable #2 and was constantly being double teamed.

A #2 doesn't have to put up big numbers in order to be a viable threat IMO. As long as they take some of the coverage away from Moss they are doing what a #2 is supposed to do. :2cents:

SO patten did his job when he was in

He's really, really, really fast and opens up a lot of trick play options.

it is not that he is that fast.i do not think his 40 times were ever that impressive. i liked him a lot coming out of college and was disappointed when the skins did not draft him inthe second round when he came out.

what is impressive about him is his football speed and quickness. he is hard to corrall and he "plays" faster than his stopwatch time. he is versatile and he is tough.

on the other hand, he is no steve smith and you better have a true number 1 onthe other side of him. better still, have a true number 1, a decent #2 and play randle el in the slot or in motion. that is what pitts did when they had ward and burress, and the same thing is happening now with the emergence of wilson as a legitimate number 2.. which makes me think pittsburgh is going to offer him a fair deal, but wil let him walk rather than overpay for his services

coming to an al saunders offense might be the ideal place for him. he will be used the way dante hall was used on offense and he will be very productive here. if he goes to chicago, i think folks are going to be disappointed in him because they have a true number 2 receiver in muhammed (getting up in age) and they have flamed out with other receivers dez white, david terrell,

wade, and a few others have not been the answer. you can put a lot of it on the poor qb play-- but not all of it. their receivers have been bad for a long time. randle el is not the full answer.

that said, i think he will opt for the most money this time around because this might be the only chance he has for a large payday.. the skins will be in the hunt, but despite what mike wilbon says, he might not be the best option

out there for the skins. personally, i would prefer david givens, moulds, lloyd as they have proved more adept at finding the end zones. even koren robinson might be a better option-- but then you are possibly introducing a character issue into the equation. if it were me as gm, i would go after david givens on mar 3 and then go fromthere if it is not working out. JMHO

I'm on the, Koren Robinson as #2 and draft Mike Hass if he's available for depth/#3, train. Who's with me?

as long as his immaturity is definitely behind him..

haas i do not know enough about to comment on.

personally i would rather have givens. he reminds me a lot of art monk in many ways. i think he will be very productive and is tough as nails

I'd sign him to a low contract and treat him like Brian Mitchell. He would be our PR, KR, #3 WR and #4 QB...we could run all kinds of trick plays with him...

he is looking for a big payday. he won't come cheaply to us or to anyone else. cannot say i blame him, but he is going to disappoint the bears if they give him the moon

Robinson would be perfect. I'm still tryin to figure out why we didn't sign him last year.

how about...?

tons of dropped passes

disruptive behavior

substance issues

he was a total failure and a bane to mike holmgren. i hoped he has turned his life around. if he has, he will be a solid acquisition for some team. but there is a history to consider

People keep mentioning him as the "legit" #2 we need but what I've seen of him hasn't been that impressive.

He just doesn't look like a polished receiver. Obviously he was a QB before reaching the NFL. Pittsburgh uses him as a gadget player like they used Kordell Stewart and what did Kordell do when he left Pittsburgh? Nothing.

His numbers have almost declined each year and were never high to begin with.

He drops balls.

He was never Pittsburgh's #2 until this year and Cedric Wilson has begun to overtake him in the playoffs.

And he plays across from Hines Ward, which should alert us to the possible Peerless Price factor here with him.

So by no means does this guy look like the player we need. There is no evidence of that at all.

I say let's let Gibbs/Saunders/Snyder decide.

Hail!:point2sky

seantaylor.JPG

SO patten did his job when he was in

not really... but if you recall, in the preseason he was the primary target for ramsey. he was open a lot.

i think brunell just could not find him. he may also have fallen off as the seaso went on because of his knee.

i still he can be a solid #3, slot receiver. but we better have a legitimate #2 going into next season

HAHA look where mr. L. COles is ranked. What a bum.

coles is not a bum and did post decent numbers this year. certainly not worth what the jets paid him.

i think he had a definite chemistry with pennington and his production was hurt by the poor qb play after he went out. he is no number 1 guy but i would not mind him as a number 2... at number 2 salary !!!

I like Jurevicius, based on his size and stats, and watching him perform. Great possession reciever, good in the red zone:

Height: 6-5

Weight: 230

Passes: 84

Receptions: 55

Catch %: 65%

Yards: 694

TD: 10

Forget Randle-El, there are a lot of available WRs better than him.

i like JJ... but he has age working against him. he did a terrific job for seattle this year, but now i think he has to be viewed as a number 3 option

i would prefer a long term solution like givens

not really... but if you recall, in the preseason he was the primary target for ramsey. he was open a lot.

i think brunell just could not find him. he may also have fallen off as the seaso went on because of his knee.

i still he can be a solid #3, slot receiver. but we better have a legitimate #2 going into next season

Fact is, as the game goes on, Brunell leaned on Moss more and more. Brunell couldn't seem to find any WR other than Moss, unless the offense made someone else the primary receiver. Most of the time, when another WR was getting the ball, it was because the play was designed to go to him.

It is going to be interesting to see if Al Saunders' presence will change this. He definitly believes in spreading the ball around.

As for Randel El, I don't really see him being much of an upgrade, other than he can return kicks. Also, considering how much money he will be asking, he just isn't worth it.

Jason

how about...?

tons of dropped passes

disruptive behavior

substance issues

he was a total failure and a bane to mike holmgren. i hoped he has turned his life around. if he has, he will be a solid acquisition for some team. but there is a history to consider

He's also...

25 years young

a tremendous athlete

talented

played a position in which we lacked depth

Total failure would be an overstatment, since he did show some productivity as a starter. Taylor Jacobs is an example of a total failure, and he accomplished that w/o the aid of alcohol. With the obvious exception of TO, Robinson is the most talented WR available in FA this year.

He's also...

25 years young

a tremendous athlete

talented

Total failure would be an overstatment, since he did show some productivity as a starter. Taylor Jacobs is an example of a total failure, and he accomplished that w/o the aid of alcohol. With the obvious exception of TO, Robinson is the most talented WR available in FA this year.

Well, he has the most potential of any free agent receiver out there (especially if you look at his rookie year stats and raw ability) and he has proven to be an excellent kick returner. However, he is still a bit of a gamble and DC is not exactly the easiest place to avoid temptations...

I'd like to see him in burgundy and gold, though.

Fact is, as the game goes on, Brunell leaned on Moss more and more. Brunell couldn't seem to find any WR other than Moss, unless the offense made someone else the primary receiver. Most of the time, when another WR was getting the ball, it was because the play was designed to go to him.

It is going to be interesting to see if Al Saunders' presence will change this. He definitly believes in spreading the ball around.

As for Randel El, I don't really see him being much of an upgrade, other than he can return kicks. Also, considering how much money he will be asking, he just isn't worth it.

Jason

cannot argue with your thoughts on randle el. as far as brunell not finding anyone besides moss, whose fault was that? was no one open? did brunell roll away from potential open receivers?

i know there were some instances of brunell not finding a wideopen moss running free. i do not think that brunell sees the field that well. ironic since that was one of the big complaints against ramsey-- that he would lock on and not find secondary guys

He's also...

25 years young

a tremendous athlete

talented

all this about robinson is true.... if he is now reliable. but some people have a tendency to relapse. is koren one of these? it is a leap of faith to place the improvement onhis shoulders.

we agree on jacobs who was a total bust. but he was a high character guy. yup, it didn't help him any more than it helped wuerffel did it?

given that koren was literally dumped by the seahawks, i would say he fits the description of a total bust pretty well regardless of some production.

i just think there are potentially less risky signings at that position, who are in his class. agreed, if it works out we have solved the position for years. also, in his behalf is the idea that he really wants to be a redskin. is that so, or is it just posturing

Well, he has the most potential of any free agent receiver out there (especially if you look at his rookie year stats and raw ability) and he has proven to be an excellent kick returner. However, he is still a bit of a gamble and DC is not exactly the easiest place to avoid temptations...

I'd like to see him in burgundy and gold, though.

you can find trouble and temptation anywhere... a lot of it has to do with the maturity of the team and how well they take their younger players under their wings.

it wasn't so good when gardner was here partying midweek.

and, NO, you may not have stray cats!! spent too many years rescuing those little guys

He also had like 15 PI penalties called against him... That's a pretty nice bonus...

are you saying he drew 15 pass interference penalties? do they even keep stats of that? if so, that would be really interesting. i wonder who the league leaders are in drawing those calls?

Randle El is a top rated free agent more because of what teams believe he has the ability to do in the future than because of anything he has done in the NFL to the present day. Also, being on a team that is in the Super Bowl boosts a player's ratings with teams if they hit free agency.

forget Randel El or Robinson...

the person i would like see redskins get is... Brandon Lloyd... he was ready for a breakout year last year but you can only do so much as WR when you are playing for 49ers these days...

If Lloyd was a UFA I would want him over anyone else. But, as an RFA I don't know, maybe if we can't get a good UFA, and we have to explore all options which would include Lloyd.

If Lloyd was a UFA I would want him over anyone else. But, as an RFA I don't know, maybe if we can't get a good UFA, and we have to explore all options which would include Lloyd.

my bad... shoot i knew that... i guess my brain just skipped couple of times while i was making my post...

i think Lloyd wants out of SF but probably SF is going to make him one of those RFA offers that require us to give them a 1st and whatever....

anyways forget Wayne... too much money required there...

another WR to get... if Jimmy Smith is released... we should sign him so we will have some flexibility for 1-3 years to find and develope a good WR on our own...

Archived