Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden Question - Returning Punts

skins5060

I do either punt return left or punt return right, and I bring back one of my linebackers (say Arrington) who is lined up on the line back as an extra blocker. When the punt is in the air, position Arrington in a spot where he could pick up the first/biggest threat and then switch off of him and onto the punt returner. 9 times out of 10 he'll lock onto the guy and when you receive the ball, find the open lane. Don't try to block the guy yourself, rather position your linebacker in front of him and switch the cursor to the return man. Let me know what you think...

yeh, i have problems returning punts too, it's not like my special teams are bad cause I simulate 12 games a season, and my return man has averaged about 2 punt returns per season. I have only been able to return a few, but kickoffs, they definitely block better.

In madden 05, they definitely blocked better as well, so it is probably another stupid EA thing that they messed up.

It's possible to block a punt. You have to line up in punt block formation, bring one of your fastest guys over from the left side to the right (or vice versa), position him in the gap inside the furthest outside lineman, and put him right in front of one of your other linemen, and back up slightly so not to be offsides. When the ball is snapped, the lineman you are in front of will automatically go forward, in turn pushing you forward. If you get in the gap and time it perfectly, you're money.

returning punts is tough......i play online and everyone lofts them so high that they are waiting for the ball & u as soon as it comes down. The only way u can get a good return is if they punt it with littl or no arch and you have Dante hall or someone fast as your returner.

As for blocking them...I blocked one so far and that is in over 300 online games. I just got lucky...nothing special...picked the regular punt return formation and lined up one of my ends closer to the middle and somehow a crease opened up and i skated thru...i tried the same thing over and over and i just got lucky that one time. Its nearly impossible. Thats good though cuz there have been glitches over the years (2) online that people have exploited and it effs up the game BIGTIME...makes it a joke to play someone who does that.

My guys never block for me either, they just stand there, Madden seriously pisses me off, :doh: so many smashed controllers :doh:

LOL, tell me about it. I got up to a 2500 rank online, beat a bunch of high ranked people and since then I'm 1 for my last 10 :whoknows: . I'm at the point where I throw one incomplete pass, take one sack and I just lose it and start playing like a retard. That game can be so frustrating.

punt block return works he best since the computer will not have gunners out and you can still run one of your own men back to where your returner is i have been able to return a few punts but it is rare, i used to be able to figure out how to block fgs and extra points every time in madden but havent been able to do it the past couple of years.....has anyone heard about the new game coming out in april? nfl head coach...... its a football sim

Yeah, I hate the punt blocking. It's horrible, especially frustrating when there are like 2 of your guys standing there looking at you, while the guys they should be blocking run right past them, and pelt themselves at you. I've had similar success using the Punt Block/Return Audible, and like Spaceman said, if you get a punt on the sidelines, you can sometimes get a good return off of that.

On another note, have you guys had issues with run blocking? Sometimes I'll be running and Cooley or someone is blocking for me and they'll be a LB running free and my FB will run right past them, to block the Safety way up field, usually causing me to get tackled in the backfield or short gain, because I'm trying to follow my blockers.

Archived