Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we continue to have Black History Month?

Thanos

Seems its the only month where magically Black achievments are displayed on television and other media.Only to be discarded on 2/28/06.

So, would like to gauge the opinions of those here.Yes, I'm sure this has been debated here at this time every month,but the excahnge of ideas is always good.

Seems its the only month where magically Black achievments are displayed on television and other media.Only to be discarded on 2/28/06.

So, would like to gauge the opinions of those here.Yes, I'm sure this has been debated here at this time every month,but the excahnge of ideas is always good.

So if you dont think the subject is being recognized the other 11 months of the year why would you stop black history month.....I feel it is needed and always will be.

The argument that most intrigues me AGAINST Black History Month comes from extremist black movement leaders (and maybe others). And it's this.

By creating a "month" it sends the message that the history of black people in the US isnt as important as the rest of our history, and can be lumped together with no other context than the color of the skin of those in it.

Should MLK, Colin Powell, and Gearge Washington Carver really be taught together?

That said, I dont see why anyone has a problem with it.

I do not have a fully-formed opinion on the matter yet. I just want to give the blacks a better month. February? Cold, windy, miserable, terrible month. Lets give them June or something.

Frankly, it makes a lot more sense to have it in a month during the school year.

How about everybody stop worrying about the length of the month and learn something? Crack open a book about African American History and read it to your children. And by the sounds of some of you need a little brushing up yourselves. Here's a little history...

In 1926 Dr. Carter G. Woodson organized the first annual Negro History Week, which took place during the second week of February. Woodson chose this date to co-incide with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln - two men who had greatly impacted the black population.

Over time, Negro History Week evolved into the Black History Month that we know today - a four-week-long celebration of African American History.

How about everybody stop worrying about the length of the month and learn something? Crack open a book about African American History and read it to your children. And by the sounds of some of you need a little brushing up yourselves. Here's a little history...

In 1926 Dr. Carter G. Woodson organized the first annual Negro History Week, which took place during the second week of February. Woodson chose this date to co-incide with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln - two men who had greatly impacted the black population.

Over time, Negro History Week evolved into the Black History Month that we know today - a four-week-long celebration of African American History.

The thing about it being a short month was kind of a joke (i mean its only 2 days shorter). Personally, i think its a little odd that we single one month out of the year to say blacks had a impact on our history. Black history is most definitely under-taught in our schools, and we should make an effort to teach in more thoroughly throughout the year.

But then again - i'm also against kids getting out of school to celebrate MLK's birthday.

I do not have a fully-formed opinion on the matter yet. I just want to give the blacks a better month. February? Cold, windy, miserable, terrible month. Lets give them June or something.

Your use of "give the blacks a better month" is a damn shame...

But then again - i'm also against kids getting out of school to celebrate MLK's birthday.

Why is that?

Do you really think Dr. King would want kids to NOT go to school and learn in recognition his birthday? No. Celebrated, yes; but celebrated it by teaching the kids about the man, the time period, and his accomplishments. Have whole days (or at least classes) dedicated to him. But for the love of God, don't let the kids stay at home to watch reruns of Hogan's Heros to celebrate his birth.

:applause: :applause:

I think it is because they say hey they went through slavery the can get 28-29 days when we give them thier due the other 300+ we just talk about how they kill each other and start rap beefs.

:applause: :applause:

I think it is because they say hey they went through slavery the can get 28-29 days when we give them thier due the other 300+ we just talk about how they kill each other and start rap beefs.

Do you do anything to Celebrate Black History Month?

Well, obviously if it bothers anyone for prominent blacks to be celebrated over a months period, it does show you as somewhat of a racist IMO.

Quit ****ing about people of a different ethnicity and learn something about them instead. :2cents:

Thank you KG, now in that spirit here are a few things Black folks have invented to help this country. Pay attention class...

We have helped the development of crop rotation, the traffic light, the mail box, gas mask, fountain pen, typewriter, telegraph, golf tee, automatic gear shift, commode toilet--- to the method of dry cleaning clothes, the electric lamp, and the automatic car coupler and air brake for the railroad. And out of all this, only four Black inventors have been inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, Ohio.

Thank you KG, now in that spirit here are a few things Black folks have invented to help this country. Pay attention class...

We have helped the development of crop rotation, the traffic light, the mail box, gas mask, fountain pen, typewriter, telegraph, golf tee, automatic gear shift, commode toilet--- to the method of dry cleaning clothes, the electric lamp, and the automatic car coupler and air brake for the railroad. And out of all this, only four Black inventors have been inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, Ohio.

Dude, how could you forget the peanut? :doh:

The golf tee?

Archived