Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we continue to have Black History Month?

Thanos

Yes it should be kept because blacks have shaped the way our country is today a great deal. Some people that think that Black History Month is in February because it is the shortest month. I can't remember who posted it, but there is a specific reason that it is celebrated in February and it has nothing to do with February only being 27-28 days. I'm sure there are lots of white families like mine who do not celebrate Black History, but I don't celebrate George Washington's birthday, or any other significant President's birthday. I guess the only reason to get rid of it would be because they are Americans and there is no reason to devote a month to their ancestory because it takes away from this fact. But I still say keep it because, as I said earlier, blacks have significantly changed the way our country operates.

IMO black history month is a joke. Back in school, we never learned anything more about black history in history class. The only real difference is when Im watching tv and they mention it is black history month. I liked what Morgan Freeman said...that we can never get over black and white America until we stop having stuff like Black History month. Im all for learning about history that blacks were involved with, but I see no point in continuing having a month called Black history month.

Yes, i completely agree. But my question was should kids really not go to school to celebrate him? Do you think Dr. King would want kids to miss a day of school for him?

Probably not.....but his untimely death during the movement is part of the matter that leaders labored for his recognition as a National Hoilday...everybody knows all of the TV broadcasts about MLK leading up to the day....hopefully parents are able to sit with them and help in understanding the accomplishments that he made. Hey Jesus gets 2 holidays...G. Washington...excuse me Presidents Day gets one Independence gets one New Years get one....MLK sure does deserve to have it. Oh yeah kids are out for Yom Kippur too....

Guest sith lord
I posted something about having MLK's b-day off a few pages back. I'm still waiting for any response. :(

Honestly, you can say the samething for "all" holidays. How many people visit a veterans memorial on Memorial Day? How many people "truely" celebrate this country on The 4th of July? I won't even bring up Christmas.

I have a question for you: Why do we even celebrate Columbus Day?

Honestly, you can say the samething for "all" holidays. How many people visit a veterans memorial on Memorial Day? How many people "truely" celebrate this country on The 4th of July? I won't even bring up Christmas.

I have a question for you: Why do we even celebrate Columbus Day?

Theres actually a great Chris Rock bit about that: He says "Columbus didn't discover America, there were already people here. That's like discovering somebody's back yard. Columbus probably got off his boat in the West Indies, and said 'I claim this land in the name of Spain.' And there was probably a Jamacian there saying 'Hey man, git your damn flag out me yard!'" :laugh:

But seriously, just because we don't celebrate other holidays correctly doesn't mean we should let kids out of school for MLK's b-day. Respect what i'm sure would be his wishes - teach the kids.

But seriously, just because we don't celebrate other holidays correctly doesn't mean we should let kids out of school for MLK's b-day. Respect what i'm sure would be his wishes - teach the kids.

My wife is a 8th grade Language Arts teacher and makes a point of having her students do MLK reports and Black History reports also, I sit with here going over the reports every year. Hopefully others are doing the same thing...it would be a shame to get a holiday and not know the reason behind it or to not have school work to aid in understanding.

It should not be Black history month. It should be "Racial Equality Month" during which blacks, as well as any other race's disparities are highlighted. I really cant stand when the process of making people equal is in and of itself putting people on a different footing. Just like affirmative action - lets equalize the playing field for different races by offering a subsidy to one race but not another...riiight.

Do subsidies work in free markets? No. What makes people think that it will work elsewhere? The only thing we get is a lazy race that 'expects' things to be handed to them. What should be made equal across the board is opportunity (education and jobs based on education/experience).

It should not be Black history month. It should be "Racial Equality Month" during which blacks, as well as any other race's disparities are highlighted. I really cant stand when the process of making people equal is in and of itself putting people on a different footing. Just like affirmative action - lets equalize the playing field for different races by offering a subsidy to one race but not another...riiight.

Do subsidies work in free markets? No. What makes people think that it will work elsewhere? The only thing we get is a lazy race that 'expects' things to be handed to them. What should be made equal across the board is opportunity (education and jobs based on education/experience).

You know what supafly, I predict someone taking your comments the wrong way and feeling that you are racist, but I totally agree with you and you make a good point about affirmative action. This has nothing to do with affirmative action but.....I love hearing stories about a single mother who is sick and tired of getting help from the government. She has 2-3 kids and is working her ass off to get a good education and take care of her own family. When my fiance gave birth to our son 5 years ago, we actually qualified for Welfare. She thought about taking it, and I said, "No effin' way! I'll just work more hours. I don't need to live off the government. We can take care of ourselves." I made minumum wage in WV for cryin' out loud at the time! $5.15 an hour!!!!! Life totally sucked then, but you know what....my son was well fed and healthy. After a few months, my fiance went and got an Associate's Degree in Nursing and now is a Registered Nurse making very good money. Now it's my turn to go to school and I am trying for a Bachelor's in Computer Science. I told her that if I can attain this degree and get a good job, we have set a perfect example for our son and any more children that we may have together. In other words...........ONLY IN AMERICA CAN YOU GO TO COLLEGE BASICALLY FOR FREE, GRADUATE, AND MAKE A DECENT LIVING. Yes it has it's ups and downs, but you have to perservere and make it through. But some folks just find it much easier to have things given to them.

You know what supafly, I predict someone taking your comments the wrong way and feeling that you are racist, but I totally agree with you and you make a good point about affirmative action. This has nothing to do with affirmative action but.....I love hearing stories about a single mother who is sick and tired of getting help from the government. She has 2-3 kids and is working her ass off to get a good education and take care of her own family. When my fiance gave birth to our son 5 years ago, we actually qualified for Welfare. She thought about taking it, and I said, "No effin' way! I'll just work more hours. I don't need to live off the government. We can take care of ourselves." I made minumum wage in WV for cryin' out loud at the time! $5.15 an hour!!!!! Life totally sucked then, but you know what....my son was well fed and healthy. After a few months, my fiance went and got an Associate's Degree in Nursing and now is a Registered Nurse making very good money. Now it's my turn to go to school and I am trying for a Bachelor's in Computer Science. I told her that if I can attain this degree and get a good job, we have set a perfect example for our son and any more children that we may have together. In other words...........ONLY IN AMERICA CAN YOU GO TO COLLEGE BASICALLY FOR FREE, GRADUATE, AND MAKE A DECENT LIVING. Yes it has it's ups and downs, but you have to perservere and make it through. But some folks just find it much easier to have things given to them.

So what you are saying is that most Black want things handed to them . You do know that MOST black ppl arent poor and MOST have jobs .

And MOST ppl on welfare are actually white .

Awesome man. Now THIS is the american story, not living off government handouts. Your desire and willingness to work hard to improve your life is what all americans should aspire to. Your kids will see this and know this, and they will do the same. So many times I see kids from families that worked hard, succeed in life whereas kids from rich spoiled pampered lives become failures themselves. Its the same with families that do the bare minimum, rely on government handouts, and learn to exploit the system. Their kids will do likewise.

How many people in Ethiopia can even claim they have the opportunity to get a good education and improve their life?? F that, they are in a daily struggle merely to survive.

So what you are saying is that most Black want things handed to them . You do know that MOST black ppl arent poor and MOST have jobs .

And MOST ppl on welfare are actually white .

No. YOU said this about Blacks. Not him nor I. So what does that say?

How many people in Ethiopia can even claim they have the opportunity to get a good education and improve their life?? F that, they are in a daily struggle merely to survive.

Every cousin I have in Ethiopia has and got the opportunity to get a good education and improve their life....but I do understand the point you are trying to make.:)

The history that is taught in schools is already a joke...along with "black history month." Up until very recently, schools were still teaching about how the pilgrims and indians were all hunky-dory, and the indians happily gave up their land to their new white friends.

There are Southern states that still teach the civil war as the "war of Northern aggression."

The history that is taught in schools is already a joke...along with "black history month." Up until very recently, schools were still teaching about how the pilgrims and indians were all hunky-dory, and the indians happily gave up their land to their new white friends.

There are Southern states that still teach the civil war as the "war of Northern aggression."

Agreed, but keep in mind that the people who want to teach that the indians happily gave up their land are also vehemently against black history month. That alone moves me in support of it.

IMO black history month is a joke. Back in school, we never learned anything more about black history in history class. The only real difference is when Im watching tv and they mention it is black history month. I liked what Morgan Freeman said...that we can never get over black and white America until we stop having stuff like Black History month. Im all for learning about history that blacks were involved with, but I see no point in continuing having a month called Black history month.

You hit it right on the nail.

Archived