Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we continue to have Black History Month?

Thanos

Do you do anything to Celebrate Black History Month?

Isnt being black enough, but yeah I always find somebody new and do some research on them. Like this year I am doing some research on Huey P Newton. He was one of the famous Black Panthers. One more thing the Black P{anthers are not worse then the KKK but they are up there with them though

Ideally, there should be no need for black history month, because black history is American history.

Unfortunately, we're not there yet. The middle school and high school history I was taught definently left out some very important parts. Mainly our founding father's vision when creating this country. I went to very high ranking schools, too.

I'm sure it's getting better, but we're not there yet.

Don't try and bring up, why isn't there white history month. People are taught white history every time you take an American history class, but you may not learn african-american history, chicano history, asian-american history... etc

Ideally, there should be no need for black history month, because black history is American history.

Unfortunately, we're not there yet. The middle school and high school history I was taught definently left out some very important parts. Mainly our founding father's vision when creating this country. I went to very high ranking schools, too.

I'm sure it's getting better, but we're not there yet.

Don't try and bring up, why isn't there white history month. People are taught white history every time you take an American history class, but you may not learn african-american history, chicano history, asian-american history... etc

Just to clarify, I really did not mean anything by my previous post. Black history Month is a good thing and I learn a lot from it every year. I also agree that Veterans day should be a holiday.

Isnt being black enough, but yeah I always find somebody new and do some research on them. Like this year I am doing some research on Huey P Newton. He was one of the famous Black Panthers. One more thing the Black P{anthers are not worse then the KKK but they are up there with them though

The KKK is an embarrasment to the white race. It's no coincidence that most of them reside in tornado alley. Not the most intellectual people on planet earth.

I think it's a bit crazy to be honest with you. Why not teach kids about historic black people as they fit into the curriculum? As someone mentioned earlier, it seems a bit forced to teach a lesson on GW Carver in the morning and then MLK in the afternoon.

And to say black people invented this and white people discovered that is backwards too. Why not talk about ALL inventions/discoveries made by Americans as they fit chronologically.

Just a thought.

Some history on Black History month.

cwoodson.jpg

Carter Godwin Woodson has been called the father of Black History Month. Carter G. Woodson (1875-1950), the son of former slaves James and Eliza (Riddle) Woodson, was born on a small farm in New Canton, Virginia. From an early age he possessed an unquenchable thirst for learning. When he could, he attended the local school, and eventually went to Berea College in Kentucky. Ultimately, he obtained a B.A. from the University of Chicago in 1907. In 1908 he attended Sorbonne University in Paris where he became fluent in French. He received a Ph.D. in History from Harvard University in 1912, becoming only the second African-American to earn such a degree. Woodson taught briefly and held educational administrative posts in the Philippines, at Howard University (where he was Dean of the School of Liberal Arts), and West Virginia State College.

Dr. Woodson was a member of the Niagara Movement and a regular columnist for Marcus Garvey's weekly publication--the Negro World. He was the founder, in Chicago in 1915, of the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History. In the same year he founded the Journal of Negro History--a publication still in existence. As a contributing writer for the the Journal of Negro History, Woodson wrote more than a hundred articles and 125 book reviews.

Carter Godwin Woodson was the founder of Associated publishers, founder and editor of the Negro History Bulletin, and the author of more than thirty books. Probably Woodson's best known book is The Mis-Education of the Negro, originally published in 1933 and still relevant today. In the Mis-Education of the Negro Dr. Woodson stated that:

"When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He will find his 'proper place' and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary."

In 1926 Woodson initiated the annual February observance of Negro History Week. He chose February for the observance because February twelfth was Abraham Lincoln's birthday and February fourteenth was the accepted birthday of Frederick Douglass. By the 1970s, Negro History Week had expanded to become Black History Month.

http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/woodson.html

We should have a White History month. They have Hispanic Heritage and Black History, what about the whites?
Maybe things have changed but when I was in highschool history was almost entirely about whites....and almost exclusively in a positive tone. It wasn't until college that you learned the bad stuff and it was only during black history month that you really learned anything about black contributions to our nations history. So if that is still the case, that would mean that every day you go to class is "white (positive)history day"

I posted something about having MLK's b-day off a few pages back. I'm still waiting for any response. :(

MLK shook the stance of Jim Crow in the South, he was the leader that enabled Black folks that were considered 2nd class citizens to stand up and be heard and to be treated equally. Blacks in the South for the most part were decendants of Slaves and Sharecroppers; generational curses had to be broken and MLK was the head of the movement to allow the people to have a voice and say we shall be equal.....this country have come along way since his passing. Our country is fortunate to have a person of his character who stood up while being attacked on every side...who faught the noble fight...Proud that he is an American and proud that he is celebrated with a National Holiday.

MLK shook the stance of Jim Crow in the South, he was the leader that enabled Black folks that were considered 2nd class citizens to stand up and be heard and to be treated equally. Blacks in the South for the most part were decendants of Slaves and Sharecroppers; generational curses had to be broken and MLK was the head of the movement to allow the people to have a voice and say we shall be equal.....this country have come along way since his passing. Our country is fortunate to have a person of his character who stood up while being attacked on every side...who faught the noble fight...Proud that he is an American and proud that he is celebrated with a National Holiday.

Yes, i completely agree. But my question was should kids really not go to school to celebrate him? Do you think Dr. King would want kids to miss a day of school for him?

Almost every ethnic background has a week, month, hour or whatever. They're just not plugged as highly, for whatever reason.

bingo!!!!

There are also specific weeks for most occupations. There is a nurses week, and IT week, a hr week etc.... Appreciation weeks are very common similar to months, which are not a bad thing.

Yes, i completely agree. But my question was should kids really not go to school to celebrate him? Do you think Dr. King would want kids to miss a day of school for him?

no, but we can't have the children ever forget about him, that is the key here

Archived