Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kobe better than Jordan?

Trippster

Following Kobe's 81-point performance pundits began comparing Kobe to Jordan. My question is whether Kobe is better at this point in his career than Jordan was at the same point in his.

My vote would be no. Even though Jordan never put up 81 points, he certainly was capable of it (69 against the Cavs.) No Jordan team was ever as one-dimensional as the Lakers are now.

Second, by this time in his career Jordan already had an MVP award and his team was headed in the right direction. It doesn't seem like Kobe is making his teammates better like Jordan did and it seems like the Lakers are heading backward.

That's my vote.

Kobe is a better shooter than Jordan, but Jordan didn't force a lot of bad shots like Kobe does now (although he doesn't have any choice b/c his teammates suck).

Kobe has the potential to be better than Jordan, but Kobe won his 3 titles earlier in his career and don't think he learned from all those years beforehand what it takes to win a championship (including make teammates better). Kobe now has to learn that and it may take a while, especially since this Laker team has a lot less talent than Jordan's team ever did (excluding the Wizards of course).

Does he play offense / Defense and goes 100% EVERY game?

I think he does. I'm a huge Laker fan and watch almost all their games. Kobe's made All-Defensive teams before. As far as going 100%, there may be a few times where Kobe had let up a bit when they were winning titles with Shaq, but Shaq is in a whole different class when compared to MJ's teammates. Shaq is the most dominant center to ever play the game and puts up huge numbers. None of MJs teammates ever scored more than him or put up outstanding numbers.

I think he does. I'm a huge Laker fan and watch almost all their games. Kobe's made All-Defensive teams before. As far as going 100%, there may be a few times where Kobe had let up a bit when they were winning titles with Shaq, but Shaq is in a whole different class when compared to MJ's teammates. Shaq is the most dominant center to ever play the game and puts up huge numbers. None of MJs teammates ever scored more than him or put up outstanding numbers.

Kobe has made the All Defensive First Team 3 times, and the All Defensive Second team once.

He is one of the best defenders in the league at the 2 guard position.

Kobe is not better than Jordan as of now but he did do something very special when he scored 81 points Jordan wasn't able to do that even when he was stingy with the ball. You can also look at it from this angle, Kobe scored 81 points from the parameter. The 100 point scored before was 95 percent dunks.

If you ever watch the NBA finals when teams were doing the "HackaShaq" on Shaq, it was Kobe by himself the single handily won the finals games that counted. He also set his teammates up and scored the winning points when the almighty Shaq was on the bench.

How abot Sreve Kerr and Hodges or Pippens? They have scored more than Jordan a few times. Jordan was held below 7 points a few times.

Kobe is a great scorer and good defender. His 81 points was quite a feat, but in terms of the historical (despite what ESPN says), it really not that great. A lot of players can score many points these days if they have the gumption to do so. To me, Kobe has been able to imitate Michael Jordan in many ways, but he does not quite measure up. Jordan came into the league and took it to a different level. He did this with his playing ability in that no one had seen a player perform quite like Jordan. Then he (and Nike) revolutionalized what it meant to be an athletic endorser. There are many Jordan wannabes, would-bes, and imitators, but no one has yet matched him. One person that might - Lebron James. Lebron combines Jordan's athleticism with Magic's passing skills. He could possibly take the game to the next level.

Jordan never won anything without Pippen. Nobody ever says Pippen is the best player ever. Why? Because he had Jordan.

Yeah and Pippen didn't stand a chance without Jordan. Jordan made Pippen.

Let Kobe win 2 more then talk...

OHH and personel opinion Jordan is number 2-4 (with all them being mixed in).

This guy is #1.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/russell_summary.html

Honors: Elected to Naismith Basketball Basketball Hall of Fame (1975); NBA champion (1957, '59, '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '68, '69); NBA MVP (1958, '61, '62, '63, '65);

All-NBA First Team (1959, '63, '65); All-NBA Second Team (1958, '60, '61, '62, '64, '66, '67, '68); NBA All-Defensive Team (1969); 12-time NBA All-Star (1958-69); All-Star Game MVP (1963); One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996); Olympic gold medalist (1956).

Guest Gichin13

Personality wise, I am no Kobe fan. I defended him on the rape case deal, but the guy seems like a ****y arrogant tool who manages to offend and alienate his teammates.

MJ is one of the top 4 players of all time in my book.

Top four (in no order):

Bill Russell

Wilt

Oscar Robinson

MJ

Turning back to Kobe, despite my personality reaction to him, he really is a great great player. He can score at will. Like MJ, he is incredibly skilled in fundamentals. I think Kobe gets the edge as a pure shooter. Kobe clearly has more consistent mechanics, is a better threat from three point range.

Both guys are about equal going to the rack. Perhaps a slight edge to Jordan early on slashing drives, and again a slight edge to Jordan posting guys up, but it is pretty close.

Kobe plays both ends aggressively every night. He would be in my list of defenders on one hand to shut down an opponent. Despite that, Jordan gets the edge on defense.

On the "je ne sais quois" factor, edge to Jordan. Can we see Kobe kicking it back to Paxson to win the game at the buzzer? Can we see Kobe taking the edge off a loss with a ****y saunter onto the team plane going to Portland with a lit cigar in his mouth saying the series is over and Portland will never make it back to Chicago? Can we see Kobe owning the minds of his opponents and exerting his will to victory?

I just do not see Kobe having the Flu Game, or picking Malone on one end and hitting the series winner at the other. Great as he is, on both ends, he really is just that mental step down from Michael.

Folks cannot get on Kobe for taking too many shots given his current team -- outside of him, they are in trouble and he needs to shoot a lot to keep them in the game.

Second, by this time in his career Jordan already had an MVP award and his team was headed in the right direction. It doesn't seem like Kobe is making his teammates better like Jordan did and it seems like the Lakers are heading backward.

That's my vote.

By this time in his career?? Dude...Kobe has been in the league for 10 seasons!! By his tenth season, Jordan had won 3 championships just like Kobe and had 3 MVP awards (88, 91 and 92).

However the thing that makes Jordan better than Kobe will ever be was his defense. 1988 DPOY, 9 time all-defensive team (88-93, 96-98).

Not to mention, by this point in his career Jordan had 2 Olympic gold medals.

Its not even close...there will never be another Jordan, no matter how badly the NBA analysts want one.

Archived