Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whats up with Tech athletes?

Spaceman Spiff

Looks like New Mexico found a way to influence the basketball team...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2308446

Washington suspended for kick to Duke player

ESPN.com news services

Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver suspended sophomore forward Deron Washington for Saturday's game at Wake Forest because he kicked Duke's Lee Melchionni in the face during Thursday night's game.

AP Photo/Don Petersen

Deron Washington apologized after the game for the kick that got him ejected.

Washington was ejected for a flagrant foul for a combative act, not for fighting. Any player ejected for fighting is given an automatic one-game suspension under NCAA rules.

"I regret my actions from last night and accept the penalty issued by Mr. Weaver," Washington said in a statement released by the school. "This in no way reflects upon my true nature and I, once again, would like to apologize to Lee Melchionni, Coach Krzyzewski and the Hokie basketball family for my actions."

Washington was ejected with 1:30 left after appearing to drive his foot into the face of Melchionni when both were laying on the floor.

The officials released a statement afterward saying, through replay, they determined the kick was a "combative action" and the matter will be reviewed by the league office.

"What Deron did last night was wrong and I cannot condone it," head coach Seth Greenberg said in a statement. "Deron felt terrible and apologized to Lee Melchionni and Coach Krzyzewski immediately following the game. Deron Washington has been a model student and teammate and is a tremendous young man. His actions were out of frustration and not a reflection of who he really is."

Washington and Greenberg went to the Duke locker room afterward and apologized.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I hate VT!!! It figures the basketball team would start acting like a bunch of thugs, b/c the football team has been doing it for years. Beamer is a great coach, but his players have been getting away with murder for years. I was glad they kicked Marcus Vick off the team; I just wish Beamer had the balls to do it earlier in his career there.

Considering so many people hate us, I guess that means we're doing something right.

Yeah, stomping on people.

When was the last time VT won a national championship in football or bball? I could answer that for you if you like, it's pretty easy.

At least Seth had the guts to suspend him a game. When Laettner did it against Kentucky, all he got was a technical. Saint K, my butt.

You should have known that the Hokies were up to something when they got introduced to "We will, we will, STOMP YOU! STOMP YOU!"

/Proud VT Grad 1999...

//At least we're not UVa...

Oh man, circling the wagons eh? Taking an indefensible position and then balking at defending it... so you learned that from Tech? What great minds they mold there.

I don't even think we really need to "circle the wagons"

The athletic program is in the ACC

The football team had another 10 win season and beat two huge rivals in UVA 52-14, and WVU 34-17 and I suppose UMD is a rival but beating them by a combined score of 83-15 the past 2 seasons really diminishes that claim

The basketball team, while struggling big time this year (due to plenty of off court tragedy) has shown significant improvement from the team 2 years ago, and even beat Duke last year, and came within .6 seconds of beating Duke in Cameron this season

We are in the ACC

And yes the "thug" culture must be quickly squashed at Tech. Good guys like Darryl Tapp, Jeff King, Cedric Humes, Jonathon Lewis, Coleman Collins, guys who always keep their noses cleaned get overlooked because of the antics that Marcus has pulled the past few seasons, and now this basketball incident

But circling the wagons. Oh please, the sports program is in fine shape

Right as in choking during EVERY big game and players that are headcases.....yep, hokies are clearly the odds on favorite to not only win the ACC championship but the national title as well :rolleyes: :laugh:

I guess you did forget about the Miami 2004 game, which was played at the Orange Bowl, and a VT 16-10 win gave us the ACC football title in our first year

:cheers:

I don't even think we really need to "circle the wagons"

The athletic program is in the ACC

The football team had another 10 win season and beat two huge rivals in UVA 52-14, and WVU 34-17 and I suppose UMD is a rival but beating them by a combined score of 83-15 the past 2 seasons really diminishes that claim

The basketball team, while struggling big time this year (due to plenty of off court tragedy) has shown significant improvement from the team 2 years ago, and even beat Duke last year, and came within .6 seconds of beating Duke in Cameron this season

We are in the ACC

And yes the "thug" culture must be quickly squashed at Tech. Good guys like Darryl Tapp, Jeff King, Cedric Humes, Jonathon Lewis, Coleman Collins, guys who always keep their noses cleaned get overlooked because of the antics that Marcus has pulled the past few seasons, and now this basketball incident

But circling the wagons. Oh please, the sports program is in fine shape

HAHAHAHA, ok, name me some dominance on the national front for all sports. Anything. Gymnastics? Baseball? Swimming? Track? Because your football team and basketball team will not win a championship anytime soon, and beating UVA is hardly a feather in your cap. Or are championships not an indicator of how good the sports program is? Last time I checked, the ACC was not the best division in football.

i'm not a VT fan at all but the ACC is a STRONG conference........we had 7 ranked teams this year (some dropped b/c of bowl losses)....what's the best division in football to u?

I think the ACC is strong, but it does not have anyone that could contend for a national title, at least for the past two years. I say this with limited knowledge of the college game though. I admit that every year the powers shift, I know enough that outside of Miami (a hard to predict program in itself), I do not see a national-championship worthy team in that conference. Granted, just having one great team does not make for a great conference (Texas and its conference?), but I would place the SEC a notch higher than the ACC just because all the teams there have to run through an absolute gauntlet of above-average to good teams. In the ACC, I feel there are only 4 truly quality teams; Miami, UFA, F-State, and Tech (until it chokes). WVU is impossible for me to figure out. Even though last year was a down year for the SEC, ranking the conferences in general is too damn hard to do, and an argument could just as easily be made for the ACC as being the strongest conference. With that said, I was just responding to his assertation that the UVA win was meaningful. I don't think I have had my eyes roll that hard in a long time.

I think the ACC is strong, but it does not have anyone that could contend for a national title, at least for the past two years. I say this with limited knowledge of the college game though. I admit that every year the powers shift, I know enough that outside of Miami (a hard to predict program in itself), I do not see a national-championship worthy team in that conference. Granted, just having one great team does not make for a great conference (Texas and its conference?), but I would place the SEC a notch higher than the ACC just because all the teams there have to run through an absolute gauntlet of above-average to good teams. In the ACC, I feel there are only 4 truly quality teams; Miami, UFA, F-State, and Tech (until it chokes). WVU is impossible for me to figure out. Even though last year was a down year for the SEC, ranking the conferences in general is too damn hard to do, and an argument could just as easily be made for the ACC as being the strongest conference. With that said, I was just responding to his assertation that the UVA win was meaningful. I don't think I have had my eyes roll that hard in a long time.
very nice analysis...i agree with what u say and imo the SEC is a little stronger than the ACC too

there are national championship contenders it's just that the teams are too inconsistant at times..:(

Archived