Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the trade value?

WallyG3

OK - way too many threads suggesting player for player trades.

Reality is that most times players are traded for draft picks. Unless we find a team who just is not getting along with a good player (like the Skins and Lavar) So the real question is:

What is the trade value of Arrington or Ramsey?

I'll start with Lavar. He's a 2nd overall draft pick who has been great at times, but lacking the flash lately. Possibly due to recovery from injury. He might be back to form, he might not. He has had ups and downs with the organization, usually in public.

If he is to be traded, it would be because the Skins do not value his total package on and off the field. Other teams may value him greatly, but will know that the Redskins are looking to unload.

I say he's worth a mid-first-round pick, or a high second with either a third or a few late rounders.

On to Ramsey. A late first round pick. Has shown tons of promise, but never quite put it all together consistently. Throws a mean fastball, but can be inaccurate and holds the ball too long. Spurrier almost killed him.

I think Ramsey could bring in a mid to late second round pick to a team that needs a QB.

What do you think the trade value is for our two lame ducks in terms of draft picks?

EDIT - - Please, no more player for player trade suggestions that would never actually occur in the real world.

Your value is way off on Arrington. You have to consider his contract as well. The days of teams trading 1st round picks for players with issues are over. When was the last time it happened?

Arrington- 4th at best.

Ramsey- 4th, maybe a 3rd.

Edit- BTW, where they were drafted has no consequence on what you would get for them.

Your value is way off on Arrington. You have to consider his contract as well. The days of teams trading 1st round picks for players with issues are over. When was the last time it happened?

Arrington- 4th at best.

Edit- BTW, where they were drafted has no consequence on what you would get for them.

Do you really think Arrington's value is that low? He made a few probowls, and still had some decent games this year. He can still be a playmaker. First round picks are still a gamble too. You never know if the player will work out. At least with Lavar, you know pretty much what you're getting.

Also, I don't know that his contract would be considered in trade compensation. Wasn't Coles' contract much larger than Moss'? ...and that was a straight up trade.

Depends on the CBA extension for Ramsey. He is currently entering his final year of his contract and will be a free agent next year. If the CBA is not extended, he will not be free agent next year, making him far more valuable. He is worth far more that AJ Feely was.

Isn't it funny how the Eagles trolls who are pretending they aren' trolls, stopped posting in the stadium forum during the season and now are back in every thread? Can't wait until week 5 or 6 when the Eagles suck yet again and the trolls disappear completely or go to the tailgate and hide until the off season.

Arrington- 4th at best.

I would think a 3rd for Patrick, maybe a 4th. Qb being the one position that would garner a little higher pick. Were he any other position he would be a 5th at best.

Wouldn't Lavar be a post-June 1 pick-up? Wouldn't his current contract vastly diminish his value in a trade?

Do you really think Arrington's value is that low? He made a few probowls, and still had some decent games this year. He can still be a playmaker. First round picks are still a gamble too. You never know if the player will work out. At least with Lavar, you know pretty much what you're getting.

Also, I don't know that his contract would be considered in trade compensation. Wasn't Coles' contract much larger than Moss'? ...and that was a straight up trade.

Trade value is based off of what you will do in the future, not what you have done in the past. Again, the contract, injuries, and personal reasons probaby make LA a 4th, at best. Probably a 5th, if you could find someone.

Trade value is based off of what you will do in the future, not what you have done in the past. Again, the contract, injuries, and personal reasons probaby make LA a 4th, at best. Probably a 5th, if you could find someone.

If we were dumb enough to give up a secound round pick for old man Brunell, certainly somebody out there would be willing to give at least a third rounder for Arrington.

As I may overrate him with my burgundy koolade in hand, I think you may have underrated him with the limeade in yours.

If we were dumb enough to give up a secound round pick for old man Brunell, certainly somebody out there would be willing to give at least a third rounder for Arrington.

As I may overrate him with my burgundy koolade in hand, I think you may have underrated him with the limeade in yours.

I thought you gave up a 3rd for Brunnell? Plus, he was traded to be the starting QB....a little different story. Also, most if not all outside observers thought the Skins drastically overpaid for him. Teams make mistakes all the time. The Dolphins gave up a 2nd for Feeley. Maybe you'll find that one team.

I was just discussing what I think his leaguewide value is. Sorta how without any personal issues, TO would be worth a 1st round pick, no doubt about it. With everything going on, the Birds will be lucky to get a 6th.

I honestly thing you're too high, bro. For all the reasons you gave and other factors, Lavar, a late second round at best, and Ramsey, a middle second round at best only because there's some hurting teams at quality QB depth. And I'm probably being too optimistic.

I thought you gave up a 3rd for Brunnell? Plus, he was traded to be the starting QB....a little different story. Also, most if not all outside observers thought the Skins drastically overpaid for him. Teams make mistakes all the time. The Dolphins gave up a 2nd for Feeley. Maybe you'll find that one team.

I was just discussing what I think his leaguewide value is. Sorta how without any personal issues, TO would be worth a 1st round pick, no doubt about it. With everything going on, the Birds will be lucky to get a 6th.

Fair enough. True what you could get is different from what you should get.

Actually, the birds might have to give up a 3rd round pick just to get some team to take TO :laugh:

People have to understand about trades - negotiations. It's aboout who is in the position of power, who can walk away, what is the demand for the player. By definition a player is worth what some team is willing to give up for him. If 2 teams really want Ramsey, it's likely the price for him will be lot higher than if only one team wants him. Ramsey isn't inherently worth any particular price - it's who wants him and how badly. Miami paid a 2nd rounder for Feely because they really wanted him. Hind sight doesn't mean anything. Gibbs really wanted Brunell. True Jax likely would have eventually cut him. Gibbs wanted him quick and didn't want to risk someone else trading for him or signing him if he was cut - so the price was higher.

To me even though maybe LaVar has a much higher pedigree than Ramsey, more teams might want Ramsey so his value might be higher. There are may factors that go into trades - most of which we will never know.

People have to understand about trades - negotiations. It's aboout who is in the position of power, who can walk away, what is the demand for the player. By definition a player is worth what some team is willing to give up for him. If 2 teams really want Ramsey, it's likely the price for him will be lot higher than if only one team wants him. Ramsey isn't inherently worth any particular price - it's who wants him and how badly. Miami paid a 2nd rounder for Feely because they really wanted him. Hind sight doesn't mean anything. Gibbs really wanted Brunell. True Jax likely would have eventually cut him. Gibbs wanted him quick and didn't want to risk someone else trading for him or signing him if he was cut - so the price was higher.

To me even though maybe LaVar has a much higher pedigree than Ramsey, more teams might want Ramsey so his value might be higher. There are may factors that go into trades - most of which we will never know.

I agree with the thinker. Also, one part of what was originally posted is true. There are not many high profile player for player trades, which is what made the Portis/Bailey trade so unique. You probably won't see one of those again for a while, at least.

Ramsey's contract is very cap friendly. He's a solid player and a solid citizen. He'll fetch a second round pick... no lower than high third.

The best part is... Gibbs holds the position of power here. As much as you like to accomodate Ramsey... a team has to fetch fair-market value. Otherwise, the team will keep him. Ramsey needs to understand that.

Do you recall how long the Skins held out before they finally traded Gardner?

Gibbs won't rush to get rid of somebody... and make a bad decision in doing so.

Very sound thoughts. And just some mental meandering, but I wish the Ravens could afford to make a deal with us for lavar, it seems to me he'd be a good fit for them and maybe he'd be happy too.

I was watching ESPN and they said because Ramsey would probably get cut anyway, the skins would be lucky to get a 6th for him. Kind of like Gardener last year. I believe Ramsey holds a bit more value then Gardener.

This is only partially the case...by trading for him, his new team now has exclusive rights to him. If they wait for him to be released, all of a sudden they might find themselves in a bidding war with another team, and get out bid for his services. For this reason, teams will be willing to trade for him instead of wait for him to be released.

This didn't happen with Gardner because he was a bum. :2cents:

Very sound thoughts. And just some mental meandering, but I wish the Ravens could afford to make a deal with us for lavar, it seems to me he'd be a good fit for them and maybe he'd be happy too.

Those morons in Baltimore won't get anyone good via trade. They are such egotists that they expect teams to give up their best players for next to nothing in return. They think since they were without a team for so long that the NFL owes them. And the NFL kisses their butts, like when they didn't get T.O. the NFL gave them an extra draft pick. It's just BS..

(note: The above reply is probably littered with falsehoods and inuendo, but I just enjoyed the hell out of typing it. :doh: :ravensuck )

Those morons in Baltimore won't get anyone good via trade. They are such egotists that they expect teams to give up their best players for next to nothing in return. They think since they were without a team for so long that the NFL owes them. And the NFL kisses their butts, like when they didn't get T.O. the NFL gave them an extra draft pick. It's just BS..

(note: The above reply is probably littered with falsehoods and inuendo, but I just enjoyed the hell out of typing it. :doh: :ravensuck )

I had fun reading it :laugh:

TO is in his thirties....he wouldn't amount to a 1st round pick at all, headcase or not

Like said earlier in this thread what their actual value is and what we might get vary greatly. Patrick really isn't worth more than a mid thrd rounder, but several teams are in dire straights for a QB that can turn things around. With a new coaching staff in Oakland they may be interested enough to give up their 3rd and a later pick for him. Denny Green in AZ seems to have QB ADD. He was real high on McCown then went with Warner. He needs a QB to get the ball to those beast WRs. I could see him being willing to spare his 2nd rounder to try and right the ship before management sends him packing. The dolphins,while in need of a QB, did very well without one and are not likely to spare more than a 4th IMO.

Arrington's value. I don't think we can get much for him. Because of his injury teams will be hesitant to spend much on him. Add on top of that his contract and his value greatly declines. I think we are better off holding onto LA. I also disagree with you that he is a "lame duck." He has only had half of a season under Gregg Williams scheme and I expect an enourmous contribution from him next year if he is here. I wouldn't expect more than a 4th for him, but I doubt we would get that. That being said, there has got to be a team naive enough to spend a 2nd on him because of his enormous upside, and his past production. Just my 2 cents worth of speculation though.

Archived