Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Musgrave to interview with the Falcons for QBs coach position...

wilbur58z

Gibbs said they wanted to keep everyone in place. I guess it is too much to expect people to take his word on it.

Like bubba posted Musgrave probably thinks he's better positioned or maybe more comfortable in Atlanta where they have "Vick" and coaches closer in age. As stated above if he can make Vick more effective, that would be quite the capfeather.

Maybe he if he takes the Falcons job he can take Brunell with him. A lefty backing a lefty and we save nice bucks on our Cap. Then we can have a two way competition between Ramsey and Campbell for the starting job.

:doh: someone had to do it....didn't they?

Maybe he if he takes the Falcons job he can take Brunell with him. A lefty backing a lefty and we save nice bucks on our Cap. Then we can have a two way competition between Ramsey and Campbell for the starting job.

I think a Brunell/Musgrave trade for Schaub would be great. :laugh:

I don't understand the hate on Musgrave in this thread. I thought he did a nice job while he was here. I agree that I think he is looking long term and wants to be a coordinator again. With the hiring of Saunders, Musgrave was kind of put on the back burner. Atlanta will give him more opportunities and more input in the offense and, as one poster said, he will be returning to the WCO. I wish him luck and hope he does well down there. Just not against the skins. I don't see Gibbs not wishing him well and allowing him to leave without any complications even though he is under contract and it is a lateral move.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
If he does go though, it is definitley good news for Matt Schuab

Schuab had a lot of success under Musgrave while both were at UVA

yea they did, good call........conspiracy theorist want to suggest they are going to try and get rid of Vick?!?!?!

:laugh:

I don't understand the hate on Musgrave in this thread. I thought he did a nice job while he was here. I agree that I think he is looking long term and wants to be a coordinator again. With the hiring of Saunders, Musgrave was kind of put on the back burner. Atlanta will give him more opportunities and more input in the offense and, as one poster said, he will be returning to the WCO. I wish him luck and hope he does well down there. Just not against the skins. I don't see Gibbs not wishing him well and allowing him to leave without any complications even though he is under contract and it is a lateral move.

Loyalty. He's choosing to leave our team and being selfish.

Loyalty. He's choosing to leave our team and being selfish.

Why is it that atheletes, and now coaches, get knocked for "loyalty" nowadays?

Would you not do the same exact thing... move to another company, do the exact same job as you are doing now, have the benefit of increased upward mobility and maybe get a 10-20% pay increase in the process... if a headhunter called you today?

if you answer no, you are either a fool or a liar. just because they are in the paper- or their "job" is a "game"- doesn't mean they have some different set of rules than the rest of us.

Would you not do the same exact thing... move to another company, do the exact same job as you are doing now, have the benefit of increased upward mobility and maybe get a 10-20% pay increase in the process... if a headhunter called you today?

if you answer no, you are either a fool or a liar. just because they are in the paper- or their "job" is a "game"- doesn't mean they have some different set of rules than the rest of us.

Its not the same comparison when you refer to sports where a team must be a unified whole. Loyalty is key in building and keeping championship teams.

Don't you think Snyder would match whatever Atlanta offered him? Gibbs said that our staff was remaining intact and I think he needs to stick to that.

I think you simplify this to the point it becomes a worthless point. What of company and stability? For example, would you go to another job with higher pay and greater upward mobility if the company you were going to was more likely to be disbanded and out of business in a few years than the company you currently work for?

What risk would you take?

Musgrave's process here must be that he knows there's no way he can elevate himself to the playcaller here at any point as the transition plan seems in place when Gibbs leaves and it does not look like he'll ever get a coordinator job here within the next five to eight years. In Atlanta as long as he may have a better chance. So, I understand his thinking.

I don't begrudge him the option of giving himself more opportunity to rise. He's a young guy who is not content with the position he's in. Saunders may now be. Bugel is. Breaux is. A lot of our guys just feel comfortable. Musgrave is a guy who has greater aspirations than he is likely to experience here.

But, he'd be wise to factor in when Gibbs does leave, likely you will see many of the old guard go as well, leaving Musgrave a young, second-in-charge to Saunders with some room to move in a stable organization. In Atlanta, if Mora can't get it out of Vick, they'll find someone who can.

A couple of points. Musgrave is a "died in the wool WCO" guy. The word was that he was let go in Jax because he was excessively dink and dunk even for a West Coaster. Saunders is an almost diametric opposite. Really poor fit on philosophy.

Musgrave is an innovative play designer/caller. I am a UVA season ticket holder, and enjoyed watching some of the surprises he pulled there. But, Skins are now paying $2mil for an innovative play caller. I don't think Musgrave was brought in just to coach QBs--and obviously he is not satisfied to do just that.

Finally, Musgrave clearly has a history of moving around. I don't know the in-side story on some of his moves, but there is a history of not staying in one place very long.

Appreciate the contributions that he made. I predicted on an earlier thread that he was the most likely to leave, so I am not surprised if he does so.

I think you simplify this to the point it becomes a worthless point. What of company and stability? For example, would you go to another job with higher pay and greater upward mobility if the company you were going to was more likely to be disbanded and out of business in a few years than the company you currently work for?

What risk would you take?

Musgrave's process here must be that he knows there's no way he can elevate himself to the playcaller here at any point as the transition plan seems in place when Gibbs leaves and it does not look like he'll ever get a coordinator job here within the next five to eight years. In Atlanta as long as he may have a better chance. So, I understand his thinking.

I don't begrudge him the option of giving himself more opportunity to rise. He's a young guy who is not content with the position he's in. Saunders may now be. Bugel is. Breaux is. A lot of our guys just feel comfortable. Musgrave is a guy who has greater aspirations than he is likely to experience here.

But, he'd be wise to factor in when Gibbs does leave, likely you will see many of the old guard go as well, leaving Musgrave a young, second-in-charge to Saunders with some room to move in a stable organization. In Atlanta, if Mora can't get it out of Vick, they'll find someone who can.

Disbanded and out of business? that's laughable. this /is/ the NFL, btw. It's like moving from IBM to HP or Intel.

really, there's not that much difference, in structure, between the WSH and ATL NFL franchises. It's not like he's discussing going to the Raiders or the Bills- where the wind changes less than coaching staffs.

The Falcons owner is just as passionate about his team as DS is about ours. And he has the money (he has already bought the local AFL franchise and is rumored to be putting together a bid to buy the ATL-Braves as well.). I'd also consider Blank a loyal guy, he let Dan Reeves go too long, and would give Mora every chance to right the ship before making a HC change. This season, while disappointing to the locals here, was about what you'd expect from a QB who's passing eff. is as low as MV's. The ATL FO is as stable as any in the NFL- it's as much a family atmosphere as JJG has brought back with him.

Plus, we all know that when Gibbs goes, GW is the HC, and Saunders is still the Asst-Offense, which doesn't give Musgrave any upward mobility. (Well, assumed current plan, anyway.)

good move for the falcons if you ask me. He would be great for Vick. He knows a ton about the west coast offense and would probably get paid more in ATL to help vick become a better pocket passer. Let's face it... here he is a small fish in the Ocean. In atlanta he can be looked at as the guy who made vick realize his potential and catapult himself into head coaching status.

Why do you guys want this Musgrave to leave AFTER BRUNELL JUST HAD A CAREER SEASON?

he's worked with Brunell before, plus, Brunell is a veteran

so I seriously doubt anything Musgrave taught him was directly related to his performance last season, it had more to do with a lack of injuries

You certainly can't begrudge a guy for wanting to further his career. He wasn't necessarily a good fit in Jacksonville and had to take a step down, position-wise, to come to the Skins. I'm sure he wants to get back to being a OC and may have HC aspirations as well. This is probably a better career-path move for him.

I wish him well except against the Skins. Has Denver replaced Kubiak yet? I'm wondering if Musgrave will get a look there as well.

Well, clearly I am in the minority here who thinks Bill needs to STFU and honor his contract.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, if some team wants to swoop in and offer Betts a starting RB position (IE: a "promotion"), they are forbidden to do so because of tampering rules. The player has to honor the contract.

So why don't the same rules apply to coaches?

Sorry, but if it comes down to Musgrave's best interests versus the team's, I could care less what he wants. You should have signed a one year deal, sucka. Same to you deWayne.

Of course there's no point in keeping the guy if he's going to be a crank about it, but there should at least be some sort of financial penalty or compensation.

Archived