Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs/Saunders press conference: Live @ 2pm today.

DieselPwr44

I wish one of the media members would have asked if Saunders will be considered for a HC positing when Gibbs retires or if the first candidate looked at will be Williams. I have to imagine that 1.) Gibbs would not give a straight answer to that question and 2.) Saunders has already had that discussion and realizes that if another HC spot does not open up where he wants to go, then he will be GW's o-coord.

But with all that said, I would have loved to listen to them dance around the issue and see what they come up with.

Gibbs has brought up those fans a few times since it happened....about them being in the cold and all that....you can definitely tell he was really affected by that...

I know the reason I went out there that night is it would mean alot more to do it after a loss than a win. You get everybody out for a welcome home after a win.

Gibbs is an amazing man. I love the Redskins, but you think I would have been out there in that weather for Spurrier???? There's just a feeling that you want to show Gibbs how much what he does means to you, even if for that year it didn't result in a SB. I really appreciate having him as the coach of the Redskins.

You have talked about sacrifice and how players need to check ego at the door etc. Have you had to do that here. I know you still have a ton of responsibilites tho

Gibbs: Part of me has yea. I think i have. Anythign I can do to help them win. Probably some of what you mentioned. Every single thing u can do to help. Fanbase is unbelievable. Thinking about those fans here at 2 am frozen hands. They love this team. This weekend i'm at the beach and people are coming over hugging me etc. Big obligation to the people. Great great fans.

Al: As a player how could you not want to play here.

Man, I have to tell you . . . I got a little teary eyed during that point of the conference. In hiring Al Saunders, Gibbs checked his ego and did what was best for the organization. What a man. What character! You can't help but love Joe. Like Al said: Hall of Fame coach; Hall of Fame Person!

At least we have free agency, and then the draft coming up. Come May though... we're going to have 3+ long months of absolute boredom.

I know. Up until now, the offseason has been as much of a draw as the season itself. Now that we have very few holes to fill, and a dream team of coaches intact, it is going to feel like the longest 6 months of my life. It also hurts that we don't pick until the end of round 2 in the draft, and, I don't see us scouring the FA market.....especially with respect to top tier talent. There just doesn't seem to be very much to look forward to until Kickoff 2006.

These are the times when I really wish I was a fly on the wall. It would have been great to hear Gibbs talk for hours candidly about his philosophies and what he truly thinks of the organization and what our chances for success are. Yes, I know he is very high on these things and he believes we can succeed, but hearing the details would be amazing. The other thing that would be great would be to hear the conversations that go on this week with Gibbs and Saunders as they go through evaluating the players on this team.

I can't stand the offseason !!!!!

def. got chills listening to that...

when saunders was talking about the playmakers on our offense and when he mentioned cooley in the same sentence as gonzo... god next season is gonna be off the hook.

also, our first rounder from auburn... he mentioned him instead of brunell or ramsey haha :laugh:

That's not true. He mentioned Brunell first and said he had one of his best seasons ever. But I did notice the nonmention of Patrick.....but then I think we have all seen the writing on the wall for some time.

Man, I have to tell you . . . I got a little teary eyed during that point of the conference. In hiring Al Saunders, Gibbs checked his ego and did what was best for the organization. What a man. What character! You can't help but love Joe. Like Al said: Hall of Fame coach; Hall of Fame Person!

After that Saunders said what coach or player wouldn't want to work for this guy..... As he was saying it I was like my thoughts exactly

Williams will get the HC position because he'll leave otherwise. Plus he's been here longer and was w/ Gibbs during the lean times. He's younger....Saunders will be 62 if Gibbs leaves after his 5th year. And Saunders seems content to be the OC...

That's what I inferred also.

Saunders mentioned that he did not want to be a head coach just for the sake of being a head coach and that he loves running offenses. Surprisingly, he said that this would be his last move in coaching. It's interesting he would make such statements considering Gregg Williams has spoken openly about wanting to be a head coach again. Could it be that Saunders signed on knowing there was a deal to make Williams the head coach after Gibbs leaves and Saunders would maintain complete control over the offense?

Dude, this is exactly what Vermeil did... but with a stout defense. I assume the way this fits now is:

Joe Gibbs

Saunders

Bugel

Breaux

Musgrave

Byner

Hixon

Simmons

Coy Gibbs

The point is: Gibbs is still going to be the one to make the call on 4th and 1. He ain't a mascot.

Joe Jackson Gibbs, you've done it. You've saved this franchise. You came down from the mountaintop, and we thank you for it.

High five BD

Archived