Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs/Saunders press conference: Live @ 2pm today.

DieselPwr44

She is very excited to come back here. Enjoy the area and the people. Washington DC, VA, and MD. Opens the floor to questions:

Pretended to walk away lol

What is official title?

Joe:Title for Al...Associate Head Coach Offense.

Al: I'll take it. Not about titles about production. Tremendous value in every coach. I'm sure ill call that first play and then gibbs will get on and call the rest joking.

Talking about interviews he had

Al: Good fortune to already be a head coach. Never wanted to take a head job just to be a head coach. You know that there are certain things u need to be successful. Not as important as the people you work with. Couple that were outstanding, couple that werent good fits. When joe approached me it fit. Want to coach offense. Want to orchestrate a offense that is succesful. Joe will tell you that there are so many other things head coaches have to do. Joe said to me, I dont know if i can do those 20 hours a day things with Free Agency and expansion now a days. Vermiel went through same thing. This is a great fit.

Last move? Wow sounds like he's more than happy to be paid as Gregg Williams' number two man, control of the entire offense. What a great coaching future this team has.

Gregg Williams as the HC to replace Gibbs and Saunders to remain in charge of the offense. Gibbs really did save this franchise.

Al: We looked at each other and talked how we could get this done. Told Oakland, no longer involved in running for head coach.

Was it Dissappointing for you not to get the cheifs job?

Al: Oh sure definately. It was a good organization. The owner choose a coach he wanted and thats fine. I understand that and respect it. No place I would rather move forward with though than these people here.

Is your role the same as in KC? Whats your normal day?

Al: Details there that are still being ironed out, but one thing u must respect about Gibbs is that he is a tremendously detailed man. No coincedence that hes been extremely succesful in everything hes done. Talked with him about how great the things they have are(trainers, equipment,etc). Talked about play calling responsibilities. Joe is a offensive genuis. He will still be a essential part in that. I have responsibility to do play selection, but hes the boss and a smart offensive man and will have input. I think I have some things that we have done in these last 5 years that are creative and different. Not about me Al Saunders. Finest offensive staff in the NFL. Everybody plays a part. Each coach is head coach of his own position. Level to need to win a championship. Haven't talked about half time type things. What will best help the offensive side of the ball to win a championship. What can we do, etc. Whatever needs to be done.

Joe is this a compromise with your wife? something along that lines

Joe: When I joke like that I am committed here. Contract is for 5 years and I think I have kinda addressed that. I kid about that sometimes. But what this was was to add someone real talented to the skins. This was someone who fit.

Saunders is a very impressive sounding guy. I'd never really heard him speak before.

Just about to say the same thing. This guy sounds unbelievably organized to say the least. Seriously, take a moment to compare Saunders' overall presentation versus somebody like...I don't know...Spurrier? To me this just sounds like it is going to work and work well... :helmet:

Joe: I want to stay involved and will do so. Put out release about coaching staff. All those poeple will still be there. Naming coaches. I remember my first job, couldnt sleep for three days. Its not the head coach alone, its these guys that help make it go. Dealing with the players is the most important thing I do.

After calling plays for so long was it hard to relinquish that?

Gibbs: Part of you does. But to be honest I gave up some of that to Jack last year. And I think this is just a better way to get the job done. Towards the end of last year I did the same thing. My committment is to help the skins anyway i can. The fans and greatest sports franchise in the world.

Dude, this is exactly what Vermeil did... but with a stout defense. I assume the way this fits now is:

Joe Gibbs

Saunders

Bugel

Breaux

Musgrave

Byner

Hixon

Simmons

Coy Gibbs

The point is: Gibbs is still going to be the one to make the call on 4th and 1. He ain't a mascot.

Joe Jackson Gibbs, you've done it. You've saved this franchise. You came down from the mountaintop, and we thank you for it.

Archived