Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor or Ben whatshisname?

pR0JEkT 21

Ignoring the immense talent and success of both players, I think Taylor was the right pick. Look at it this way, had we drafted Roethlisberger instead we would have taken a risk and it is incredibly unlikely we would ever find a safety like ST again. Because we took him (an almost sure shot and a rare physical specimen) over Roethlisberger, that allowed us to pick up another QB in the very next draft with similar speed and potential.

So, really, it was either Roethlisberger and another safety (who is not Darren Sharper or Polamalu and is therefore nowhere near the skill level of what we've got now) or Jason Campbell and ST. I prefer the latter, especially if Campbell develops into a solid QB (not even necessarily a great one).

Definately Taylor. Ben is great but having such a dominant team around him doesn't hurt.

Oh and nice work throwing Campbell under the bus...

Relax...no one is throwing Campbell under the bus.

Big Ben is a perfect quarterback.......for the Steelers. He fits in perfectly there. Would he have been as good in DC?? Who knows. He probably would not have played right away, that's for sure.

Taylor came out of school being heralded as a game-changing safety, the best prospect at the position since Ronnie Lott. You don't take those kind of things lightly...He is a phenomenal athelete, and generally an all-around freak of nature. There isn't anything special about Big Ben to make him stand out; hell he was rated below Manning and Rivers, and some had Rogers higher than him.

Taylor was the correct pick. Just be thankful we did not select Winslow...

Relax...no one is throwing Campbell under the bus.

Big Ben is a perfect quarterback.......for the Steelers. He fits in perfectly there. Would he have been as good in DC?? Who knows. He probably would not have played right away, that's for sure.

Taylor came out of school being heralded as a game-changing safety, the best prospect at the position since Ronnie Lott. You don't take those kind of things lightly...He is a phenomenal athelete, and generally an all-around freak of nature. There isn't anything special about Big Ben to make him stand out; hell he was rated below Manning and Rivers, and some had Rogers higher than him.

Taylor was the correct pick. Just be thankful we did not select Winslow...GREG WILLIAMS CONVINCED GIBBS TO TAKE TAYLOR,OR WE WOULD HAVE HAD SOLDIER BOY AT TE[/QUOTE]

Clearly you have to answer this question based on how they are both playing, and not on some unknown projection of how Ben would have played had we taken him.

I can't believe there is any debate. Franchise QB wins over every other player on the field. How is this even a question. Even good, consistent QB wins over Safety. Remove the homervision and be realistic. If you were to rank positions based on their importance to the team, where would the two be. Hint, one would be the first on the list, and the other would be in the middle somewhere.

How do you take how both players are playing individually? You have to factor in the team. And I would take Sean over Ben any day in any draft. He is not a franchise QB just yet. In fact, lets play a little game; compare the number of "franchise" QB's (A QB picked in the first round that teams will build around) that have played in superbowl games since 1995, versus QBs drafted in the lower rounds or not at all. Very interesting correlation...

It basically proves that with with a few exceptions, there is no such thing as a Franchise QB, a QB that can alter the destiny of a team by his very presence after being picked in the high rounds. I can find a bunch of competent game-managing QBs in a draft. Or even Free Agency. There are not that many Taylor's out there.

Roethlisberger, no question.

Taylor is a very significant part of our defense, but a franchise QB is always more valuable than a safety. Whom would you rather have on your team, the next John Elway, or the next Ronnie Lott. Picking Taylor is just being a homer. Just be glad the Giants FO was dumb enough to trade 2 #1s for Eli instead of picking Ben!!!

big ben doesn't throw well enough to impress me. he plays to not lose- they call plays so that he doesnt have to beat teams himself (like Hasselback did to use last weekend). Big ben could never do that. also, how many late comebacks and miraculous comebacks has big ben had??? i wouldn't wanna come back in a game with him throwin. TAYLOR

big ben doesn't throw well enough to impress me. he plays to not lose- they call plays so that he doesnt have to beat teams himself (like Hasselback did to use last weekend). Big ben could never do that. also, how many late comebacks and miraculous comebacks has big ben had??? i wouldn't wanna come back in a game with him throwin. TAYLOR

I think he has 5 4th Quarter comebacks in his career.

You guys are nuts !!!! Sure Taylor is a good player, but c'mon, we're talking about an oustanding young quarterback vs an outstanding (but troubled) young Safety????

Let me let you in on a little secret...........being on "Jacked up" every monday doesn't win you ballgames.

Look at the final 4 teams still in the hunt for the superbowl. What do they all have in c'mon???? All outstanding QB play all season long. Roethlisberger, Delhomme, Plummer, and Hasselback.

Now without looking, who can name all 8 safeties on each team?

Thats what I thought.

Come on peoples....I'm a HUGE Sean Taylor fan and own a #36 and #21 jersey but this thread and the number of people saying ST is ridiculous. Big Ben is a big-time qb who is only 23 years old. And yes he's on a good team but they made it to the SuperBowl because of his arm and his ability to play big and WIN on the road. (Something that Brunell hasn't shown)

Ben 198 ypg / 1.9 sacs per game / 1.4 td per game / .75 int per game

Brunell 190 ypg / 1.6 sacs per game / 1.4 TD per game / .62 Int per game

If,as some say Brunell is washed up, I am confused. How can a washed up QB have numbers compareable to a QB as great as Ben?

The Steelers have kept him on a short leash for most of the year. They have finally unleashed him in the playoffs.

Here is the question: Can you even imagine a scenario where Brunell could go 21-29 for 275 and 2 TDs in a playoff game on the road?

A lot of Roethlisberger's stats are skewed because when the Steelers get leads, they will run the ball 20 consecutive times.

I thought the Redskin fans would be the first to appreciate that a stacked team does not mean that every individual player is God's gift to football. Michael Irvin anyone? Ben is not a great franchise QB, he is a QB that plays for a great franchise. I would take Ben if I got the entire offense with him. If not, Sean does more for our defense than Ben does for his offense.

And Montana would not have won that many SB's without Lott. Look up every 49er team that won the SB, and guess what... they did not have an upper echelon offense carrying a pitiful defense. They had an upper echelon offense and upper echelon defense. To dismiss Lott as some sort of coattail riding safety is absurd. Football is a team game, rarely do you find a player that makes his teammates better. I would put Sean in that category, knowing full well that the Redskin coordinators and players must share in that credit. Everyone that argues for Ben implies that he would turn us into a Superbowl caliber team, and/or have a 15-1 record. Guess what guys, we ARE a Superbowl caliber team already with Sean, we were the only team that could hang with Seattle.

I thought the Redskin fans would be the first to appreciate that a stacked team does not mean that every individual player is God's gift to football. Michael Irvin anyone? Ben is not a great franchise QB, he is a QB that plays for a great franchise. I would take Ben if I got the entire offense with him. If not, Sean does more for our defense than Ben does for his offense.

And Montana would not have won that many SB's without Lott. Look up every 49er team that won the SB, and guess what... they did not have an upper echelon offense carrying a pitiful defense. They had an upper echelon offense and upper echelon defense. To dismiss Lott as some sort of coattail riding safety is absurd. Football is a team game, rarely do you find a player that makes his teammates better. I would put Sean in that category, knowing full well that the Redskin coordinators and players must share in that credit. Everyone that argues for Ben implies that he would turn us into a Superbowl caliber team, and/or have a 15-1 record. Guess what guys, we ARE a Superbowl caliber team already with Sean, we were the only team that could hang with Seattle.

what a great post....i share ur thoughts :applause:

Archived