Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is w/all the injury excuses for Joe Gibbs???

dmauro1

The two most shared opinions on this site, in ref. to why we lost in the playoffs, are JG's playcalling and injuries. Perhaps one could say that the playcaliing was limited because of the injuries and so on....but its a bunch of bs.

If any coach of the Skins had the right to complain, its G.Williams. How about that gem in Tampa w/no Carlos Rodgers and ST after his spitting incident. Not to mention RW breaking his arm, C.Griffin has been hobbling around for weeks, as has S.Springs, who couldnt go this last game. Guess what, the D was plenty good enough last week too.

The point is great coaches find a way to win despite injuries like GW did. Think of BB in NE in past years. Joe Gibbs is lacking in his gameplan because there is no plan B in case of an injury. For that matter, there is no plan B if he cant run the ball or if he gets down by two scores.

Its absurd that JG cant move the ball w/what he had. Samuels, Jansen, Raubach, and a solid Dockery is an O line most teams would love to have. Yes, Ray Brown was a weak link and limited sweeps and what not..but he's not a bum. He's been in the NFL 20 years and can still protect well. JG was at fault for exposing RB like he did.

Not to mention his O had Clinton Portis, Santana, Cooley, and a healty Ramsey if MB was hurt or struggling. Ppl here are acting like we have a Chicago Bear type of O and one injury can ruin the season.

Also, this site is saying the prob is depth. Well, the prob. w/JG is his way to win requires a top 5 type of D, which means BIG $ on that side. Then on O, he needs a top power running attack. Hence, big ticket players like Samuels, Jansen, Raubach, and Thomas. Throw in Clinton's huge deal and Santana to stretch the field...and dont forget his need for a veteran QB like MB that costs money. Bottom line is in the salary cap era, it wont get much better than this.

We proved(the D and the talent we have on O)that this squad could have gone to the Super Bowl as is. Every JG backer has said that when he has all the tools next year he's going to have a great O..but what happens if someone gets injured(Santana, Clinton, OL guy,ect.)?..is the season a lost cause again?..

In the NFL these days(not like the unbalanced NFL of JG's first stint), you are not going to have a far superior team than other playoff teams. Injuries suck and cause probs. but you have to prepare and work through them. JG blew that game..no ifs, ands, or buts...

and the funniest thing I have read is how losing T.Jacobs really caused probs in the playcaliing..I hate to even waste my finger's time debating this. TJ takes no attention off SM or Cooley and sure as heck cant get open by himself

The two most shared opinions on this site, in ref. to why we lost in the playoffs, are JG's playcalling and injuries. Perhaps one could say that the playcaliing was limited because of the injuries and so on....but its a bunch of bs.

If any coach of the Skins had the right to complain, its G.Williams. How about that gem in Tampa w/no Carlos Rodgers and ST after his spitting incident. Not to mention RW breaking his arm, C.Griffin has been hobbling around for weeks, as has S.Springs, who couldnt go this last game. Guess what, the D was plenty good enough last week too.

The point is great coaches find a way to win despite injuries like GW did. Think of BB in NE in past years. Joe Gibbs is lacking in his gameplan because there is no plan B in case of an injury. For that matter, there is no plan B if he cant run the ball or if he gets down by two scores.

Its absurd that JG cant move the ball w/what he had. Samuels, Jansen, Raubach, and a solid Dockery is an O line most teams would love to have. Yes, Ray Brown was a weak link and limited sweeps and what not..but he's not a bum. He's been in the NFL 20 years and can still protect well. JG was at fault for exposing RB like he did.

Not to mention his O had Clinton Portis, Santana, Cooley, and a healty Ramsey if MB was hurt or struggling. Ppl here are acting like we have a Chicago Bear type of O and one injury can ruin the season.

Also, this site is saying the prob is depth. Well, the prob. w/JG is his way to win requires a top 5 type of D, which means BIG $ on that side. Then on O, he needs a top power running attack. Hence, big ticket players like Samuels, Jansen, Raubach, and Thomas. Throw in Clinton's huge deal and Santana to stretch the field...and dont forget his need for a veteran QB like MB that costs money. Bottom line is in the salary cap era, it wont get much better than this.

We proved(the D and the talent we have on O)that this squad could have gone to the Super Bowl as is. Every JG backer has said that when he has all the tools next year he's going to have a great O..but what happens if someone gets injured(Santana, Clinton, OL guy,ect.)?..is the season a lost cause again?..

In the NFL these days(not like the unbalanced NFL of JG's first stint), you are not going to have a far superior team than other playoff teams. Injuries suck and cause probs. but you have to prepare and work through them. JG blew that game..no ifs, ands, or buts...

and the funniest thing I have read is how losing T.Jacobs really caused probs in the playcaliing..I hate to even waste my finger's time debating this. TJ takes no attention off SM or Cooley and sure as heck cant get open by himself

Spread cheeks, insert head. Things seem to be in order here...

When you have a quarterback that will not throw to other receivers that is why our offense sucks when the running game does not work. You cannot lock on to Moss and Cooley the good defenses wil take Portis out of the game with 8 and 9 in the box jsut as Tampa and Seattle did and make you beat them with others. Plus when you ony play half the field when you always roll out to one side of the field you play into the defenses hand by rolling their coverages to that side. I cannot eleive we could not fake it left and roll out to the right at least once!

Ugggh, another blame Joe Gibbs playcalling thread.

Injuries do hamper a teams performance more times than they don't with the roster limitations of the cap era. See Philly and other teams decimated by injury this year. Not an excuse for Gibbs, just the way it is. Taking the offense from 30th to 11th in 1 year isn't so bad. He is still assembling his roster and removing the unproductive leftovers from previous years.

Please refrain from posting again. Your words are arrogant by nature and are lacking any conceivable intellectual fact or notion. We are now all stupider for reading your post. Please, stop the killing of brain cells. Stop posting!!! :laugh:

jansen played with broken thumbs ALOT. our # 2 reciever on IR. Randy Thomas - broken leg, starting QB - damaged knee, starting RB - banged up shoulders, Thrash broken hand/thumb didnt even play.

there is a reason that your avatar exibits cranial, posterior inversion sir....

Williams did a great job against Tampa, for sure. But you do realize that the Bucs had the #1 defense and the #23 offense. One would expect our defense to have a better day against a team like that, even factoring in injuries.

Interesting. Belicheck got down by two scores against the Broncos last week. How'd his offense do? Apparently BB isn't so great either.

Uh, no. A ruined season is 6-10. Ask the Eagles what a ruined season is. 10-6 and a playoff win is not a ruined season. So clearly one injury (or more) did not ruin it. YOU are acting like losing to the top team in the conference in our third straight road game after a six game winning streak is a ruined season. And that, my freind, is what's absurd.

If GW is such a phenomenal coach who can deliver despite massive injuries all along the defense, why would we need to spend big money on that side, exactly? Either the guy is an amazing coach, far superior to Gibbs, or he's just a decent coordinator that requires some talent on his squad ... just like Gibbs does. Make up your mind and decide what exactly you want to complain about. Then I'll be able to properly correct you. :)

How did we prove that? Did we win the Superbowl? Unless we did then we haven't proven anything. We proved that we were a 10-6 team that could play competitively in the playoffs. That's what we were. That's what we had the talent to achieve. If you set your expectations too high, if you went into this season on the heels of 6-10 and thought we were a lock for a SB championship, well, that's on you bud. Not Gibbs.

Let's see . . . . Joe Gibbs has been to 4 Super Bowls and won 3 of them and then took a team this year that was predicted to go 8-8 or 9-7 at best to the second round of the playoffs.

Some people like you just can't be pleased. Go post on somebody else's Message Board, A.H. :mad: ! ! ! !

"The two most shared opinions on this site, in ref. to why we lost in the playoffs, "

I think the first thing I'd question is his use of "we". I don't know that any "we" that I'm a part of would show such blatant disrespect to Coach Gibbs or such ignorance of the game.

How did we prove that? Did we win the Superbowl? Unless we did then we haven't proven anything. We proved that we were a 10-6 team that could play competitively in the playoffs. That's what we were. That's what we had the talent to achieve. If you set your expectations too high, if you went into this season on the heels of 6-10 and thought we were a lock for a SB championship, well, that's on you bud. Not Gibbs.

:applause:

Thank you Henry for punctuating that point-by-point dismantling of this negatron's post with the best possible summarization of how fans grounded in reality would view our season.

Can't we get past the blame game? The coaches and players seem to have a proper grip on how the season transpired and culminated. There's so much to look forward to next year than in year's past, why not try to build from there?

Gibbs inability to make the offense go stem from a lack of a #2 WR. If, or when that need is adressed, then the offense will be a top 5 offense, as far as points scored, that will be able to compete for a Super Bowl.

It's hard to get production, or at least mount a drive, when the D is walking 8 in the box, doubling Santana, and keying on Cooley. Another playmaking WR, or at least a respectable #2, will open the field up not only for Moss but for Portis and Cooley as well. All you have to do is look at how easily the O moved with Patten in the game and at this stage in his career he's a #3 at best.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

I agree these o linemen are no bums....but of all the reasons you could come up with for the loss in Seattle their performance as a unit was the biggest imo. they played to high, didn't beat the Seahawks D line to the point of contact and on more than one occasion didn't block anybody when they pulled....For a running team that is a recipe for disaster.

I agree these o linemen are no bums....but of all the reasons you could come up with for the loss in Seattle their performance as a unit was the biggest imo. they played to high, didn't beat the Seahawks D line to the point of contact and on more than one occasion didn't block anybody when they pulled....For a running team that is a recipe for disaster.

We were also unfortunate to run into a team that had a better run defense than pass defense. I know we all think Seattle was really some flashy-offense, no-defense, lucky 8-8 nothing team, but they did actually sport the #5 rushing defense and #7 scoring defense in the league. On top of that they were well-rested and healthy. It's not suprising to me at all that we had trouble moving the ball on them, as our strengths played into theirs.

Alexander's injury gave us a shot to win a defensive battle, but I think we just didn't have enough left in the tank at that point. Such is the destiny of many #6 playoff teams in the second round.

Hopefully next year we'll earn a better spot. You'll see a big difference if we get a game or two at home.

And a bye week? We WILL be in the SB if we get a bye. I guarantee it.

It might not be popular to go against the coaches(Coach Gibbs in particular) but he and Greg Williams played what I call *insert five letter expletive beginning with a b* ball on Saturday. I love Joe Gibbs and am glad to be a Skins fan, but what he did in the past is the past. On THAT day he coached not to lose. That run..run..pass..punt mess isn't going to get it done. And I don't want to hear about injuries....Seattle was without the league MVP and still did what they had to do. And if Brunell was so hurt to where it hampered play calling, then get someone else in there. I won't even get into the defense just letting Hassleback loook like Elway or something.

It was a pretty good season, and I'm happy for them, but at the end of the day I would have liked to seem them go out attacking, and not laying back hoping for something to break their way. (Even though they almost did. Can you believe that catch, and the fumble right after on the kickoff lol)

We were also unfortunate to run into a team that had a better run defense than pass defense. I know we all think Seattle was really some flashy-offense, no-defense, lucky 8-8 nothing team, but they did actually sport the #5 rushing defense and #7 scoring defense in the league. On top of that they were well-rested and healthy. It's not suprising to me at all that we had trouble moving the ball on them, as our strengths played into theirs.

Alexander's injury gave us a shot to win a defensive battle, but I think we just didn't have enough left in the tank at that point. Such is the destiny of many #6 playoff teams in the second round.

Hopefully next year we'll earn a better spot. You'll see a big difference if we get a game or two at home.

And a bye week? We WILL be in the SB if we get a bye. I guarantee it.

I really thought Seattles D-line played pheononmal against us. they looked quick and low...different style then our d-line....but I guess their size dictated that strategy.

I think that next year might be our year....I really do...:fingersx:

It might not be popular to go against the coaches(Coach Gibbs in particular) but he and Greg Williams played what I call *insert five letter expletive beginning with a b* ball on Saturday. I love Joe Gibbs and am glad to be a Skins fan, but what he did in the past is the past. On THAT day he coached not to lose. That run..run..pass..punt mess isn't going to get it done. And I don't want to hear about injuries....Seattle was without the league MVP and still did what they had to do. And if Brunell was so hurt to where it hampered play calling, then get someone else in there. I won't even get into the defense just letting Hassleback loook like Elway or something.

Sigh. We had 13 drives in that game. You know how many started with a running play?

Three.

Our first five drives were three-and-outs. They went:

pass run pass

run run pass

pass run pass

run run pass

run pass pass

After that every single drive until the end of the game opened with a pass play. We passed on first down thirteen times and ran on first down seven times. I don't know what game you were watching, but we were not over-committing to the run in that game.

EDIT: And let me also state that while I think Ramsey is a decent QB and he would most likely have done fine for us this year, he is historically terrible in bad weather. I think throwing him into that game on that rainy day with our running game sputtering would have been not only unfair to Ramsey, but a disaster for the team.

Every team deals with attrition but you can’t pretend the injuries didn’t exist. Randy Thomas; OUT, Samuels; knee & shoulder, and Rabach; shoulder, all requiring offseason surgery. That combined with Seattle’s very good, well rested defensive front and our dependency on the run all played major factors in this loss. The better team won, but we'll be back next year.

Guest sith lord

I'm as glad as anybody here about the job Gibbs has done this year, but you can't deny that his playcalling over the past few weeks hasn't been bad. It was our defense that won the Eagles game. In Tampa, once again our defense bailed us out. And I don't want to hear about them being ranked #1, there's no excuse for 120 yds of offense against any team. Last week we were playing against the #17 ranked defense and still only scored 10 points.

Let's see . . . . Joe Gibbs has been to 4 Super Bowls and won 3 of them and then took a team this year that was predicted to go 8-8 or 9-7 at best to the second round of the playoffs.

Some people like you just can't be pleased. Go post on somebody else's Message Board, A.H. :mad: ! ! ! !

This team was predicted to go 4-12. people were being generous when predicting 8-8. We had a VERY successful season and it will bring much interest from free agents around the league. Not only our players, but people all around the league are noticing how completely and happily our players are buying into Gibbs system. People CANT look at us the way they have the past 11 years, we arent the same underachieving team.

I'm as glad as anybody here about the job Gibbs has done this year, but you can't deny that his playcalling over the past few weeks hasn't been bad. It was our defense that won the Eagles game. In Tampa, once again our defense bailed us out. And I don't want to hear about them being ranked #1, there's no excuse for 120 yds of offense against any team.

Honestly, once we put 14 points on the board I thought that would be enough to win the game. Clearly it was. I'm not sure why I should be required to make excuses for a game we, ya know, won. But if you are going to praise the DC and admonish the OC for their respective performances in that game, I'd think the fact that the Bucs are FAR better on defense than they are on offense is relevant to the discussion.

Last week we were playing against the #17 ranked defense and still only scored 10 points.

I've already pointed out that the Seahawks had the #7 scoring defense in the league. You might want to consider that if you are using points scored as the thrust of your criticism. You also might want to factor in that the Hawks defense only allowed an average of just under 13 points in home games. Add to that the fact that we were playing our third straight road game and they were coming off a bye and it's not all that crazy an outcome.

In fact, it's what most people predicted. We were 9.5 point dogs for a reason guys. This team was not the talent-heavy superbowl favorite some of you seem to think it was.

Please refrain from posting again. Your words are arrogant by nature and are lacking any conceivable intellectual fact or notion. We are now all stupider for reading your post. Please, stop the killing of brain cells. Stop posting!!! :laugh:

stupider..lol..what were you saying again?...

Williams did a great job against Tampa, for sure. But you do realize that the Bucs had the #1 defense and the #23 offense. One would expect our defense to have a better day against a team like that, even factoring in injuries.

Stats are misleading. Simms was a bum in the beg. when he was thrown to the wolves and the O was lost. They started to pick it up and any O w/the rookie of the year ay RB and JG at WR w/a good line is not a push over. Do you remember game #1?..I think GW made a pretty nice adjust.

Interesting. Belicheck got down by two scores against the Broncos last week. How'd his offense do? Apparently BB isn't so great either.

Do you want the guy to win the SB every year?..come on..in today's NFL it wont happen. Furthermore, even w/an O like Indy, just because your O is built to be able to come back, it might not on any certain game. The ? is, is it capable?..I think everyone around the NFL(media and coaches)would say JG's O is not.

Uh, no. A ruined season is 6-10. Ask the Eagles what a ruined season is. 10-6 and a playoff win is not a ruined season. So clearly one injury (or more) did not ruin it. YOU are acting like losing to the top team in the conference in our third straight road game after a six game winning streak is a ruined season. And that, my freind, is what's absurd.

This nonsense of a HUGE turn around is bs. 6-10 last year w/the best D in the NFL and an O equally talented to this year(no SM but at least RG at 50/50 was better than our 10/90 guys this year)was a travesty. That team should have been 10-6 for fun, more like 13-3 if the O reached its potential w/how our D played. Please dont use the Eagles as an example unless we literally lost Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey, Clinton, Santana, Thomas or Samuels, Springs, ect. all for the year. There is no stretch in the truth of that.

If GW is such a phenomenal coach who can deliver despite massive injuries all along the defense, why would we need to spend big money on that side, exactly? Either the guy is an amazing coach, far superior to Gibbs, or he's just a decent coordinator that requires some talent on his squad ... just like Gibbs does. Make up your mind and decide what exactly you want to complain about. Then I'll be able to properly correct you. :)

Please, in today's NFL a guy like Antonio P. last year has a break out year and gets a mega contract. Even if they arent a free agent, players often hold out for a new contract if they are any sort of a bargain price. Being a great D, ppl will get noticed even if they are only a product of the system. Take out CG on our D line and tell me about other D Cords. that could use those guys as one of the most dominat run stoppers like last year. This year they did well too.

I already explained last year's 6-10 but the statement that we could have beat Carolina next week and Seattle that game is merely my opinion but I do not feel its far fetched.

I took the liberty of cleaning up the quotes for you. I hope you don't mind. -- Henry

Archived