Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Frank Herzog or Larry Michael?

lunarluau

Frank was a great announcer, but I still appreciate the job that Larry Michaels does. I'm sorry, but if it required getting rid of Herzog for me to get a ton of information about the skins (ala the new Redskins.com), I'm going to take the information over the voice.

Sure Herzog was great, but the whole package deal of Larry Michael outweighs it, imo.

Frank was a great announcer, but I still appreciate the job that Larry Michaels does. I'm sorry, but if it required getting rid of Herzog for me to get a ton of information about the skins (ala the new Redskins.com), I'm going to take the information over the voice.

Sure Herzog was great, but the whole package deal of Larry Michael outweighs it, imo.

Gotta disagree with you here partner. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the only reason I like the radio better than the tv calls is to hear sonny and sam get super excited when the skins do a play. Frank was enthuisastic as any fan, and just had great voice for radio. Larry's decent, but he is being compared to a washington icon, there is just no comparison. I dont envy Larry's position here, I can't think of anyone else that would do any better (maybe some other former redskin??) but its almost impossible to replace Frank. :2cents:

Herzog by far, and my favorite Herzog quote would have to be durring the 1991 season when the Skins were playing the Oliers at RFK (I was there) and the Oliers missed a field goal in overtime. The Skins were undefeated and as the kick sailed wide Herzog said, "God Has the Redskins in a pool". Classic!

Acutally, it was Jurgensen who said that.

The first time I ever turned the sound down to listen to the radio was for Super Bowl XVII. I was hooked ever since. Plus, I remember when Herzog called the Bullets games for WTOP when they won the NBA title -- the first time I ever saw a local team when a national championship of any kind. So, I gotta go with the guy I grew up listening to.

Frank also does radio news for WTOP.....

The public sentiment as expressed in these posts clearly show that the fans prefer Frank Herzog. Larry Michael is barely adequate.

The Redskins postgame show on WJFK is the worst though. The crew of Ken Mease and company botch just about everything and know a fraction of what's going on. After the Chargers game the announced that one of the upcoming games was moved to 4pm. They kept saying it was the Eagles game....when in fact all week Redskins.com had posted news of the switch to 4pm for the Cowboys. That was just one error but if you listen to them as a knowledgable fan you will turn your radio to Sportsuck980 in a heartbeat. Some BIG upgrades need to be made with the postgame show....boy do I miss the postgame analysis of Ken Beatrice...do you think Ken Mease knows what a "willy" , "mike" or "sam" is????????? I'd love to have Beatrice back just to do the postgame

Personally, I can't stand listening to Sam or Sonny. They're just terrible, terrible broadcasters on a purely technical level. And they get even worse as the game goes on and their blood-alcohol level starts to climb.

*ducks flying debris*

Personally, I can't stand listening to Sam or Sonny. They're just terrible, terrible broadcasters on a purely technical level. And they get even worse as the game goes on and their blood-alcohol level starts to climb.

*ducks flying debris*

I have NEVER heard any "fan" say this about Sonny or Sam???? Are you high?

Herzog by far, and my favorite Herzog quote would have to be durring the 1991 season when the Skins were playing the Oliers at RFK (I was there) and the Oliers missed a field goal in overtime. The Skins were undefeated and as the kick sailed wide Herzog said, "God Has the Redskins in a pool". Classic!

Actually it was Jurgenson that said that. But Frank was there, its not the same hearing him do the news on WTOP. Larry Michael is ok, how bad a guy could he be if went on Howard Stern, but he's no Frank!

Archived