Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Frank Herzog or Larry Michael?

lunarluau

Let me just ask this question...would your memories of Herzog be as fond if he only called games for teams that went 6-10?

Herzog represents a glorious time for Redskins fans.... People talk about him in regards to the calls for Riggo, Monk, etc...How come no one reminisces about the time he called the TD pass from Heath Shuler to Desmond Howard? It's kinda like RFK...was it really a better stadium/atmosphere or just a better team?

Frank's ouster still angers me to this day. Dan Snyder took away a part of our history when he got rid of Frank Herzog. We couldn't do anything about losing Glenn Brenner, but losing Herzog is a tragedy.

I live in Michigan and Dan Miller, formerly of WTEM, is now the voice of the Lions. Now when the Lions score a touchdown, guess what he says? Loser!

Let me just ask this question...would your memories of Herzog be as fond if he only called games for teams that went 6-10?

The reason I think Frank Herzog is remembered more fondly is because of the dynamic between him, Sonny and Sam. You always felt like you were listening to three friends just shooting the breeze. So in some ways, the game (or, at least, the outcome) was secondary.

With Larry Michael, it's all business. He's a fine announcer, but you lose all of the color and the unique dynamic that made the broadcast special. Even if the team was 6-10, those three guys had something special that doesn't exist today.

Herzog represents a glorious time for Redskins fans.... People talk about him in regards to the calls for Riggo, Monk, etc...How come no one reminisces about the time he called the TD pass from Heath Shuler to Desmond Howard? It's kinda like RFK...was it really a better stadium/atmosphere or just a better team?

RFK had the best atmosphere in the NFL, not even close... fedex is an abomination compared to it

The reason I think Frank Herzog is remembered more fondly is because of the dynamic between him, Sonny and Sam. You always felt like you were listening to three friends just shooting the breeze. So in some ways, the game (or, at least, the outcome) was secondary.

With Larry Michael, it's all business. He's a fine announcer, but you lose all of the color and the unique dynamic that made the broadcast special. Even if the team was 6-10, those three guys had something special that doesn't exist today.

Agreed.

Frank Herzog is the Nirvana to Larry Michael's Nickelback. One's original and was popular because of its organic brilliance, and the other is mass-produced, high-gloss crap that could be replaced without warning and no one would notice.

Well, as someone who was born at the tail end of the Redskins glory years, I have to agree with everyone here. I thought Herzog was a superior play-by-play man to Michael. Herzog seemed to have a more authoritative, yet sincere, voice and as others mentioned, he could really set the scene. Michael will give you the down and distance but not much else.

---------- Post added September-27th-2012 at 10:40 PM ----------

there should be a place to nominate Ken Beatrice

My father absolutely adored Ken Beatrice. That was his favorite radio program.

"Yoooooooooou're next!"

RFK had the best atmosphere in the NFL, not even close... fedex is an abomination compared to it

I went to RFK for one game... Lots of empty seats, pretty "blah" atmosphere. I had such high hopes and was pretty disappointed in the experience.

You know it was like that that day? It was 1994 and were horrible, playing the eventual champion 49ers who drubbed us. RFK was only as good as the teams that played inside of it. I promise you that if we averaged a 5-11 record during RFK's heydey and we were winning Super Bowls in seasons played at FedEx that no one would pine away for the old joint.

---------- Post added September-27th-2012 at 10:18 PM ----------

I agree that Herzog is superior to Michaels, just posed the question to make a greater point:

I think we all have a tendency to wax romantic about the past based on good memories. Happens all the time in a variety of different formats. I get into similar discussions with some of my friends about music and entertainment.

Another sports example... I am a Reds fan and many of my fellow fans reminisce fondly about Riverfront Stadium. It is where the Big Red Machine roamed the field and also were the 1990 Reds went wire to wire. An entire generation of fans were "raised" at Riverfront.

But the place was a dump. A concrete bowl with no charm, average sight lines, and no aesthetic value. The AstroTurf was terrible and the bowl design trapped all of the humidity. It was a lousy stadium. But because the Reds had one iconic dynasty there and because so many fans grew up there with great memories it is remembered fondly.

Great American Ballpark is much, much nicer. A better place for fans and players. But until recently, fans have been pretty lukewarm on it... It opened in 2002 and it took 8 years for the organization to put a good team on the field....in those 8 years fans took out a lot of frustration on the new digs even though it was superior to the old.

I do think Jack Kent Cooke blew it a bit with FedEx. Iffy location, probably a little too big, and nothing special to look at. But I've been tree times and the sight lines are fine and I didn't have nearly the trouble getting in and out that others describe. It's nothing special, but its fine. And if we'd put a great team inside that stadium, people wouldn't say a word about it.

larry michael once said our receiving corp. of santana moss, brandon lloyd and antwaan randle el was better than the cardinals of larry fitzgerald, anquan boldin and steve breaston.... terrible :/

And I think that's one of his bigger problems... he's a bit too much of a kiss ass for my liking. I obviously prefer some homer from my hometown broadcasters... but he over does it to the third power, imo.

I give credit to Larry for having anyone vote for him because he clearly has them fooled and brainwashed. If you do a side by side comparison of play by play Herzog makes Larry sound like a "replacement" play by play guy. Wasn't there a sign a few years ago in the lower level at Fed Ex below the broadcast booth that said "Larry is a hack." Use to watch Redskins Nation when Bram was the sidekick. Can't watch it now.

Wow, old thread to bump! I not only miss "Touchdown, Washington Redskins!" but I also miss the "Redskins moving from left-to-right across your radio dial". It really helped bring the game to life when I was stuck in my car listening to the game...

---------- Post added September-27th-2012 at 12:38 PM ----------

check the dates. 'Rocky21' bumped a 6 year old thread....

I don't even know how I did this. Seriously, no clue.

Archived