Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Frank Herzog or Larry Michael?

lunarluau

I'm surprised at how bad Larry Michael is. There are lots of competent play by play guys, and he was touted for his play by play prowess. So, while I knew there was no way he was going to live up to the legend of Frank, I was astounded that he wasn't even just run of the mill adequate, which I thought he would be. You know, for being a big lifelong fan, Snyder really makes some astounding, tone deaf screwups.

Of course, Frank Herzog. I wish he was still the voice of the Redskins. I miss hearing: " Touchdown, Washington Redskins! " No doubt, he is still the best Redskins Radio Announcer. No disrespect to Larry Michael although I think he is holding on his own as the Redskins WJFK radio announcer. Larry ain't doing a bad job at all; he's fine. But Frank Herzog, he will always be a legend to us Redskins fans. Often imitated. Never duplicated. I hope somebody it will be Frank Herzog, Larry Michael, Sonny Jurgensen, and Sam Huff, but it is only my dream of imagination. But you may never know.

Let the poll results show...

Without question it's, and will always be Frank Herzog!

I still can't believe that Frank Herzog is gone, and we will never hear that ever popular radio call of "TOUCHDOWN...WASHINGTON REDKINS" that made us feel so exuberant, especially during the Super Bowls, as well as on the other big games...

Frank Herzog should have been able to exit on his own terms ala a Cal Ripken, Wayne Gretzky etc... Shame on Daniel Snyder for hiring an ex- Golden State Warriors, and Showtime boxing announcer (Larry Michaels) to replace Herzog!

Michaels is not bad, but he ain't no Frank Herzog, that's for sure!!!

Long live the best radio call ever:

"TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON REDKINS!!!"

HAIL VICTORY!

Rican Skin :logo:

The first time I ever turned the sound down to listen to the radio was for Super Bowl XVII. I was hooked ever since. Plus, I remember when Herzog called the Bullets games for WTOP when they won the NBA title -- the first time I ever saw a local team when a national championship of any kind. So, I gotta go with the guy I grew up listening to.

Wow. I remember listening to that on the radio too! My folks wouldnt let me stay up to watch the game, so i stole the radio :)

• 6 years later...

Wow, old thread to bump! I not only miss "Touchdown, Washington Redskins!" but I also miss the "Redskins moving from left-to-right across your radio dial". It really helped bring the game to life when I was stuck in my car listening to the game...

---------- Post added September-27th-2012 at 12:38 PM ----------

I don't get the Larry bashing 7 years after the fact. The guy is good at what he does.

Unfortunately for Larry, the Redskin teams he's covered on the mic have all pretty much all sucked. Not the case for Frank.

check the dates. 'Rocky21' bumped a 6 year old thread....

if you're in your car on sunday during the games and have sirius radio, do yourself a favor and jump around to listen to the other teams play by play guys for a few min. I'd say our booth is easily in the bottom 1/3 now.

Maybe its the timing of when Larry got his gig. Maybe its his past with WJFK. Maybe its the calling fans "haters" and picking Jason Campbell or Peyton Manning because "Manning was due for an injury", this was years and years ago before Manning was even older.

I think to a good number of fans, Larry represents Vinny Cerrato and that era of the Washington Redskins. I don't want to buy a used car, thanks.

I think all of us old enough look back and will immediately embrace Frank Herzog because of the glory years and his iconic calls, like "He's Gone, He's Gone" when Riggo broke off the TD run in Super Bowl 17 but don't forget, his skills were fading a bit as well, for example, in Super Bowl 22 when Ricky Sanders caught one and was taking it to the house, "He's gone, unless they can catch him." Really?

To be fair to Larry he has not had the opportunity or at least an many as Frank had, to call pivotal, historical moments in franchise history. He will get his chance, God I hope so or I am depressing myself, so I will give him a grade of Imcomplete right now. One thing I will say, when Frank was in his prime, he could paint a picture of excitement and raise his voice level a few octaves without stumbling on words or choking on spit. When Larry Michael gets excited for a big play call, it sounds like he is struggling with what he is going to say and it doesn't come across very smooth.

I have listened to other broadcasts such as the Ravens and the Eagles. I agree that our booth is in the bottom 1/3rd of the league. But I don't blame this problem on Larry.

I have defended Sonny for years, knowing how bad Sam has been for the past ten years. But this year I have turned a corner on Sonny. He doesn't say much anymore which is kind of sad.

Next year Sonny and Sam should be replaced with one color commentator. You don't need a three man booth these days. Also, radio broadcasts matter a lot less nowadays than when Frank, Sonny and Sam were in there prime upon the mic.

"Touchdown...brought to you by Subway, Eat Fresh...Redskins!"

- Larry Michael

It's more of a "Touchdown... Touchdown Redskins."

But I know what you were doing there. I just feel that he is trying too hard to be like Frank, amongst other things. I've never been a huge fan.

Anyone else annoyed how some radio guys like Lavar and Dukes always feel the need to say "Washington Redkins" and "Robert Griffin the Third" rather than the common nicknames everyone else uses for the obvious.

I don't mind "Washington Redskins" in Frank's TD calls, but when Chad Dukes says it four times in one minute on a regular Tuesday, well it gets kind of annoying.

It's more of a "Touchdown... Touchdown Redskins."

But I know what you were doing there. I just feel that he is trying too hard to be like Frank, amongst other things. I've never been a huge fan.

"Touchdown Redskins! Touchdown Aldred Morris!" is the call Larry makes now. AND IT SUCKS.

I don't get the Larry bashing 7 years after the fact. The guy is good at what he does.

Unfortunately for Larry, the Redskin teams he's covered on the mic have all pretty much all sucked. Not the case for Frank.

Sorry, gotta disagree. I want a radio play-by-play guy to paint a picture. He's absolutely horrific at that. If I'm in the car and stuck with him, I honestly have no idea what's going on in the game. For example, Skins will be on offense 1st and 10 at their own 35. Larry will call out a Morris carry to "the 43". Hmm, I'm thinking, 2nd and 2, nice. Skins break the huddle and Larry will say Skins "2nd and 5 from their own 40". What??? What happened to the 43?

And he does it all the time. Aggravates the heck out of me. And if something important happens between plays like players jawing, skirmishing, etc, forget about getting details.

He simply forgets that his audience can't see what he's seeing.

Archived