Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your earliest Redskins memory?

neongel

I only have a vague recollection of seeing them play the Vikings on TV, in I guess 1980. At the time I had no idea what I was watching - it was basically red against purple. I think red lost, but I don't actually remember. So yeah, this is a lame earliest memory, but it is what it is.

My earliest Skins memory is living at Ft. Meade, MD. and walking into the living room on a Sunday and wanting to watch TV, only to be told "we're watching football" by my father....so I sat down in a huff and watched the Skins play (I was 10 and not very interested at that point). Several years later ('87) I became a lifelong fan.

82 playoffs at age 5 --- yes, I was 5 and I sat there mesmerized. My dad jokes about how - after that - football was a great babysitter on the weekends. Mom could get her stuff done while I sat there watching all day long. My first real memory was Dexter taking out Danny White. It was at that moment that I decided I wanted to play defense and "hit people like Dexter did" :)

My earliest memory is the '72 ('73) Superbowl against the Dolphins.

I can't say I was a fan of the Redskins or football for that matter. My dad didn't understand or care for football, but my uncle loved it and was a big fan of the Redskins. He invited the entire family over to his house that day and I got to watch my first football game.

I started watching football the next year and my biggest memory was watching the Redskins play and lose to the Minnesota Vikings in the playoffs that year. I watched the game sitting on the floor in front of all the televisions in the electronics section of the Sears at Landmark in Alexandria.

It's been a love affair ever since.

My favorite player back then was Chris Hanburger and it's a crime he isn't in the Hall of Fame!

I remember going to Philly when i was like 3. I was with my mom and dad, and I had on a Redskins hat. This Eagles fan came up to us and said something to the likes of, "Ya know, its kinda dangerous wearing that hat around here", and I jumped up and said "R-E-D-S-K-I-N-S, We Are The Mighty Redskins And We Are The Best!!!"

My parents were horrified for my and their lives, as usual, the philly fan was all talk and no substance. It was a great day.

According to my folks, the only time I would sit still at a very young age was when the 'Skins were on. I have "vague" memories of Sonny slinging the ball around in the old burgundy helmet with the spear. Can't associate it with a specific game, so I'm not sure it counts.

First specific game memories start around age 6 - the 1971 season:

- Watching 'Skins v. Bears at my much-older brother's apartment. He & his wife had a "futuristic" looking TV/stereo combo and a panel phone that was recess mounted into the wall. Thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen at that point...

- Larry Brown checking out of the hospital to play the Cowboys & getting kneed in the head by Cliff Harris. Not long afterword I was playing football on the sidewalk (smart!!) when I smacked my head. Wanted a bandage, "..just like Larry's..."

Other "vivid" early memories:

- Somebody (no idea who now - newspaper, Texaco?) was giving away characture drawings of various 'Skins players. I had to have them all...

- Being asked "who's that?" all the time by my family during the games. From an early age, I had the entire roster memorized.

- My Dad paying a coworker to bring me back a pennant from Super Bowl VII. Sill have it.

- My Dad giving me a copy of I'll Always Get Up by Larry Brown for Christmas. Still have it.

Good times!!!

CLBinMD

I remember in like 1999 i was in 1st or second grade (now im in eighth grade) and i picked up the newspaper and read "Skins pick Bailey with 7th Pick"......

My dad was a big skins fan so i instantly started watching the games and became a huge one too.....

Champ was my favorite player until he was traded

1972 Championship game and our neighbor, who was a DAllas fan, banging on the walls and getting really upset at my parents and their friends for making too much noise during the game and after. The guy never talked to my parents again. I was 3 at the time, but I remember fondly. Even then Dallas fans were complete d*cks.

:dallasuck

I remember from the first game of the 81 season. I was told by my grandparents that I had to pick sides since I was at their house for the first game of the season against Dallas.

My parents didn't watch football but my grandfather was a big Redskins fan and my grandma was a Cowboys fan for some unknown reason(I think it may have been to just root for the other team but I don't know because she knows her football more than any woman I ever met).

I chose the Redskins, I don't know why but maybe if my grandfather had been the Cowboy fan I might have picked them, lol. This was in Virginia though so being a Cowboy fan was pretty rediculous and I think I knew that at the time as well even though at one time I thought the Redskins were representing Washington State since I learned about the states in 1st or 2nd grade, lol.

The first game I specifically remember watching all the way through and getting frustrated with the game was when the 2-5 Patriots were visiting the 1-6 Redskins. I was watching the game and my mom pissed me off by deciding to vacuum the living room while the game was on. You know how the vacuum used to majorly screw up the tv reception, lol. It was a close game, wait until its over to vacuum, lol.

Anyway that game was the first home game at the start of Gibbs turning around the team and they won 24-22.

Looking back on that 0-5 start it doesn't look so bad when you consider the first game of Gibbs coaching the Redskins was against the Cowboys who would finish 12-4, then the Giants who would finish 9-7, then at the Cardinals who had a great offense and no defense, at the Eagles who were the defending NFC champs and finally the 5th loss was against the 49ers who would win the Super Bowl that year.

Gibbs started 0-5 but he almost beat some good teams. The Redskins were 1-5 when they played the 4-1-1 Dolphins but lost 13-10 in Miami. The Redskins were 5-8 when they beat the 9-4 defending NFC Champion Eagles. The Redskins beat the Giants in NY and finished the season 8-8 by beating the previously great Rams in LA.

That is the first NFL season I remember. I don't know why everyone was surprised by the Redskins winning in 1982. They finished off 1981 very strong in Gibbs first season as a head coach.

It was one of two Joe Theisman leg break or a game against the Eagles in which an Eagle stripped the ball from a Redskin (actually stole the ball).

I looked at my dad and said "They can't do that, it's stealing." To which my dad, and Eagles fan, replied "Yes they can." I started to cry.

I was 4.

Archived