Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your earliest Redskins memory?

neongel

Sadly, it was not a good memory. Must have been late 70's--probably '78. I was a kid. A friend took my father and I to a late season 'Skins game at RFK--my first chance to see a live pro game! 'Skins were already out of playoff contention and were losing the game, and I vividly recall the fans around me calling Chris Hanburger, who was in the twighlight of his career, more god-awful names than I had ever heard before in my life. To this day, I am amazed that he was such a succesful player because my initial impression, based on the slurs heard by my youthful ears, was that he must have been the biggest scrub of all time.

Of course, he was a Tar Heel, so he had that working against him.

- Somebody (no idea who now - newspaper, Texaco?) was giving away characture drawings of various 'Skins players. I had to have them all...

Lord, I can't believe Somebody remembers that. My Father owned a Texaco and he gave away those Characture's of the Players. I forget what year that was. I also made sure I had them all. I wish I still had them. It seems like they were Jerry Smith, Charley Taylor, Larry Brown, Chris Hamburger. there were Others I just can't remember.

DAMN THIS THREAD MAKES ME FEEL OLD. SO MANY GREAT GREAT MEMORIES OF A TEAM THAT HAS BROUGHT SO MUCH HAPPINESS TO SO MANY PEOPLE.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!! IT'S IN YOUR BLOOD :applause: :notworthy

Super Bowl 22

I was 8 years old and it was super bowl sunday. I was sumoned to play soem type of gambling game between all the neigbors and kids. I picked the redskins and the number 35 for halftime score............i won 5 bucks (all in change) and have been a die hard fan ever since

Sadly, it was not a good memory. Must have been late 70's--probably '78. I was a kid. A friend took my father and I to a late season 'Skins game at RFK--my first chance to see a live pro game! 'Skins were already out of playoff contention and were losing the game, and I vividly recall the fans around me calling Chris Hanburger, who was in the twighlight of his career, more god-awful names than I had ever heard before in my life. To this day, I am amazed that he was such a succesful player because my initial impression, based on the slurs heard by my youthful ears, was that he must have been the biggest scrub of all time.

Of course, he was a Tar Heel, so he had that working against him.

How Ironic is that, for sure one of the GREATEST REDSKINS EVER. :notworthy 9 STRAIGHT PRO BOWLS and not in the Hall Of Fame. :pooh:

Last game 1979. We had Dallas beat but Staubach ripped our hearts out with two TD passes in the final minutes. I remember we tried to line up for a field goal at the very end of the game but the clock ran out. We finished 10-6 and were on the short end of a three way tie and missed the playoffs. I cried like a little girl. :cry:

Christ, Why did you have to Remind me of that game, Now I'm going to start Crying :cry:

I was a small boy and Bobby Mitchell #49 (one feather up the back of helmet) catch a pass and run over (right over the top) of a Cleveland Brown defender! I had a Cleveland Brown helmet and liked the Browns... But, this was so "Cool" that I became a REDSKINS fan due to Bobby Mitchells toughness...

This one...I was 7 years old...

Dec. 31, 1972

NFC Championship Game at RFK Stadium

W, 26-3

"Just remember this. Forty men together can't lose." Those words, delivered by Redskins' coach George Allen before the 1972 NFC Championship game, provided the necessary inspiration to lead the Redskins into their first Super Bowl appearance and their first taste of glory since the 1940s. It took the Cowboys 24 minutes to record a first down on a day that belonged to the Redskins, although the game was still much in doubt entering the fourth quarter. Nursing a 10-3 lead, quarterback Billy Kilmer hit Hall-of-Fame receiver Charley Taylor with a memorable 45-yard touchdown strike on the period's first play that drew the curtains on the Cowboys and sealed a win that ended with Allen being carried off the field as the Redskins won their first championship of any kind in 30 years.

:cheers:

Wow - that's eerie. Your earliest memories are incredibly parrallel to my own. I've got one year on you, so I was 7 when George Allen took over in 71.

Very earliest memories - probably in '67 or '68, seeing Sonny throwing to Charley Taylor on TV and hearing my Dad yell "Go, baby, go!" When I tryed to yell it (trying to be like my Dad), my Mom and Dad both laughed. They were laughing because they thought it was cute, but I thought I had somehow not said it the wrong way.

First real memories of watching and caring - '71 season with George Allen. I remember the huge buildup to the game in KC when we were already 5-0 or 6-0. Kansas City was the defending SB champs. Charley Taylor broke his leg on a touchdown catch and the Redskins lost after an epic battle. My parents took my sister and I out to Dulles to welcome the team home and there was a huge crowd of 20,000 people. My Dad put me on his shoulders and I saw Charley Taylor come off the airplane on crutches.

Another great memory was the MNF game the same year against the LA Rams. It was a huge game because the Rams were Allen's old team and a lot of the Redskins were former Rams brought in by Allen. My parents were very strict regarding bed time, so we were only allowed to watch a few minutes of the first quarter. So I was hating life missing the game, then fell asleep. Next thing I know, my Mom is waking me up so I could come back to the family room and watch the 4th quarter. The Redskins were winning and the entire experience was surreal. My Mom, Dad, sister and I were jumping up and down. I distinctly remember Speedy Duncan returning a kick for a touchdown - instantly making him my sister's favorite Redskin, which stands to this day.

Funny, but that game sticks out in my mind above almost ALL others (including Super Bowls). In fact, it ranks as my 2nd favorite game/moment in Redskins history. 1st place? That would be this year's MNF win over the Cowboys, as I stayed up with my 15-year-old daughter and depression turned into utter elation after midnight. Moss catching the 2nd touchdown is a moment in time that the 2 of us (my daughter may be even more fanatical than even I am) will always remember together. And then the emotional reaction from Joe as the game ended. WOW - nothing can ever top that for a Redskins fan, I don't think.

Does anyone else have a "you can go home again after all" reaction to the return of Joe? It is so fun to go through this ride with my kids after telling them for years (of Redskins struggle) all about what it was like when we had Joe Gibbs. It's like reliving my youth in a way.

Enough rambling - I'll stop now. Must work.

WOW!!! I Remember Speedy's TD also. That game the RAMSKINS GAME was awesome. Your POST was my favorite read above all others. It really is My Post as well. Everything is so close to mine. Even my daughter watching the Monday Night Game this year. So VERY SIMILAR!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!! ITS IN YOUR BLOOD! :logo: :notworthy

I was probably 5 or 6, and a lot of friends and family were over at the house to watch the game. Everyone in the family is a redskins fan, I believe I'm a 4th generation fan. Anyhow, the game was between the skins and cowboys, don't remember which one, but thats not really the point.

Being that I was 5 or 6, I heard the commentators say something about the cowboys. Being that young, which one sounds more interesting to a 5 year old- a redskin or a cowboy?? So.... I started going around yelling, " Go cowboys! Go Cowboys!"

Silence in the room.... all eyes on me. "What?" I said. I thought cowboys were cool!

Then, and I remember this so well, my dad, 6'2", comes and stands over me as I'm -maybe 3' tall- looking up at me, says, "Follow me, we need to talk."

yeah.. I've been a redskin fan ever since!! LOL

Super Bowl XXIV. I was 7 at the time, and I can only remember bits and pieces of that game. I remember when they reversed the Art Monk touchdown and I was going nuts. I also remember the diving touchdown reception by Clark in the endzone. Man....I think its about time for some fresh new Superbowl memories huh?!

:point2sky

The super bowl versus the Broncos. At the time, we lived in DC. I was about 5. My sister's were Broncos fans b/c their jerseys were pretty (the same reason a lot of girls are cowboys fans). So, being so young and having no football influence, I rooted for the Broncos, until the second quarter. I looked at them and said "Not only are their jerseys ugly, but their getting killed." Next day at school I just got sweeped up in the redskins fever and it hasn't left me since.

:logo:

I was 7 or 8 and the Redskins were playing the Dolphins in SB VII... I HATED the dolphins and did not want them to go 17-0 so I bet my dad a 50 cent piece and took whoever the dolphins were playing... so I lost .50, but I have loved the Redskins ever since... From George Allen to Jack Pardee to Joe Gibbs to purgatory back to Joe Gibbs!!!!

HAIL!

:logo:

When i was 8 or 9 my grandmother bought me a redskins notebook. I took it to school and the boys made fun of me because i was a girl with a football notebook. I took on the challenge and with the help of my grandmother learned to love football and therefore love the Redskins. I was living in Washington DC when they won the superbowl in 1983 and watched the parade for them that went down Pennsylvania Ave.

Archived