Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your earliest Redskins memory?

neongel

My most vivid early memory was the 82 Dallas NFC championship game. I wondered if the strike that season would ever stop. How about that 51-7 playoff decapitation of the Rams the next year. Or the following goal line stand against the Vikings that sealed the NFC championship in 83 (the year skins lost to the raiders). If I remember correctly Riggins was in the hospital from a bad back that entire week and just ran over the vikings. I still when remember Darrell Green broke up that last pass in the front corner of the endzone the entire neighborhood just exploded. Awesome times, hopefully there will be more of the same very soon.

I had to be around 5 years old. We were living in Germany at the time. My mom and I were looking at Redskin shirts in the PX (Postal Exchange) catalog.

I remember I use to take my sisters stuffed animals and put them in my shirt so I could have shoulder pads. :D

I can remember looking at game programs in 1966 when I was 8 and listening to the games on the radio.

Besides looking at the pictures (like Playboy, I didn't really read the articles back then), I liked checking out the stats page to see where any Skins ranked among the lead leaders.

That one stands out in my brain as well. Not sure why. Only as I recall, the final was 42-0. Sure about the score?

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Yep, it was 42-0. I was at that game. George Allen sent Deacon Jones in to kick the last extra point. The kick banked off the right upright and went through.

watching a kick return by the Dolphins in the 82 super bowl.

Was there a kickoff return? Man, that was weird because I was only about 8 years old and I was watching each quarter between my neighbors house and my parents house, but now that I remember my neighbors were a bunch of 20-30 something asian dudes that couldn't speak english? Why was I there? Maybe this is dream? :doh:

I'm calling my mom ....

Yes, there was a return for a TD by the Dolphins...right after Alvin Garrett scored his TD they returned the kickoff 90+ yds for a TD. That was right before halftime...I remember being devastated then....

My first memory...here in CT the Skins did not get much exposure in the '70's, so I had to wait for them to play the Giants in order to establish a memory:). I do remember us beating them to open the 1974 season...13-10.

Collecting bottle caps for footballs, banners and other items. You'd paste the cap to a long sheet. If you got all the right players, you'd get a real NFL football. I got two. I knew all the players on the Skins' team. Around 1962 0r 1963...

Mid-70's. Redskins-Cowboys game. I was 4 or 5 years-old surrounded by My Dad, Uncles, cousins, etc. The Cowboys won the game on a late play and I remember my shock and awe at how angry and upset the other men in the room were. I was hooked and the rest is history.

Greatest memory? - Riggins TD to win Super Bowl XVII. My brother and I were in our PJ's and ran screaming "Hail to the Redskins" down our street as the game ended.

Go Skins!

I was born a Redskins fan but the first time I remeber watching a game and actually understanding what was happening, was the infamous Joey T leg break game. It's not really the break I remeber but Jay coming in and leading us to the huge victory over the Gnats. I was 7 at the time and was just so happy, not only for the win but that my mother let me stay up with my dad to watch the game.

:gaintsuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck

I was 6 when this happened and it is actually my first recognizable football memory. I remember asking my dad if Joe was going to come back after he went to the doctor's office and my dad said "Probably". It's sorta sad, but I have been a Redskins fan ever since!

I have a vague recollection of the 1982 playoffs, but I don't think I was as much a fan until the next year. I remember the Rams game, the 49ers game (both at RFK) and then that God-awful Super Bowl in Tampa from the 83 season much better. I just remember crying myself to sleep after that one and being madder than I think I had ever been. I was about 8 at the time.

Funny, the 83 team seems like a better one than the year before, but losing like that to the Raiders. Never understood it.

They Had me at "THE FUTURE IS NOW" :adoration and I have never missed a game Since The Very 1st game in 1971 it was September 19th 1971 George Allen's Skins win the 1st Game I ever Watch 24-17 in St. Louis, BUT October 17th 1972 the Skins Beat the St. Louis Cardinals at home 20-0 to Start the Season 5-0 that Season and went to the playoffs. The Big Ugly that Season was in Week 6 when the Skins went to Kansas City and were leading at Halftime against the World Champions, but CHARLEY TAYLOR BROKE HIS LEG MAKING A TD CATCH WITH 10 SECONDS LEFT BEFORE HALFTIME. The Skins went on to Lose that Game and finish the Season 4-4-1 to end up with only a Wild card Finish at 9-4-1. BUT as I said They Had me at "THE FUTURE IS NOW" :adoration :logo: :notworthy

According to my folks, the only time I would sit still at a very young age was when the 'Skins were on. I have "vague" memories of Sonny slinging the ball around in the old burgundy helmet with the spear. Can't associate it with a specific game, so I'm not sure it counts.

First specific game memories start around age 6 - the 1971 season:

- Watching 'Skins v. Bears at my much-older brother's apartment. He & his wife had a "futuristic" looking TV/stereo combo and a panel phone that was recess mounted into the wall. Thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen at that point...

- Larry Brown checking out of the hospital to play the Cowboys & getting kneed in the head by Cliff Harris. Not long afterword I was playing football on the sidewalk (smart!!) when I smacked my head. Wanted a bandage, "..just like Larry's..."

Other "vivid" early memories:

- Somebody (no idea who now - newspaper, Texaco?) was giving away characture drawings of various 'Skins players. I had to have them all...

- Being asked "who's that?" all the time by my family during the games. From an early age, I had the entire roster memorized.

- My Dad paying a coworker to bring me back a pennant from Super Bowl VII. Sill have it.

- My Dad giving me a copy of I'll Always Get Up by Larry Brown for Christmas. Still have it.

Good times!!!

CLBinMD

Forgot to mention this - the illustrations were in the old Washington Star. I collected them, too. I remember Pat Fishers the most. They were in color and were a full page of the paper - very cool! Wish I'd kept them.

Forgot to mention this - the illustrations were in the old Washington Star. I collected them, too. I remember Pat Fishers the most. They were in color and were a full page of the paper - very cool! Wish I'd kept them.

Awesome, My Dad :notworthy (God Rest his Soul) bought me a book Autographed by Mike Bass that Bass Wrote about the 1972 Season. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN OR READ THAT BOOK? I can't remember the name of it, but I cherished it like Gold. Still have it packed away somewhere with my old Baseball, Football Cards.

Archived