Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this Cruel and Unusual Punishment?

Thinking Skins

Right now America is losing a lot of labor to foreign nations where employers will accept payment for much less than they make here. So I have an idea to correct that.

Suppose that instead of having the companies of America find labor elsewhere, we allow them to use the prisoners of America but at a cost which goes towards the state, or the families of the people in jail, or towards the rich people or just somewhere?

I mean, it would keep the money in America, right?

Good luck selling that to your customer base.

C'mon do you really think THATS gonna be a problem?

In fact, if you really think that would be a problem, then you have no faith in the American economy, particularly our advertising system. There would be a few activist groups that protested, but the media can easily be paid into writing good stories to back this issue.

I mean, the media is so twisted that they could be paid into writing stories about how bad the media is! :laugh:

And you know that whatever the media says, American citizens eat it up like its Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Trust me, selling will not be a problem.

We have travelled several times to Acadia National Park in Maine for vacation. Along the way we always stop at the Maine State Correctional Facility Gift Shop on Rte. 1. They have some excellent woodworked items, everything from cutting boards to furniture, and well made. The pieces are usually stamped/burned with "Made at the Maine State Correctional Facility." I think it's great and we always buy something.

I'd agree with using prisoners as a labor force if you paid them. The reason I say this is simple, you don't want them to become a slave pool creating profits for someone. That would provide an incentive that could seriously corrupt the entire justice system.

We have travelled several times to Acadia National Park in Maine for vacation. Along the way we always stop at the Maine State Correctional Facility Gift Shop on Rte. 1. They have some excellent woodworked items, everything from cutting boards to furniture, and well made. The pieces are usually stamped/burned with "Made at the Maine State Correctional Facility." I think it's great and we always buy something.

That's all nice and dandy, and definitely a productive way for prisoners to spend some time, but it's a little different when we're considering sweats and clothing which are extremely monotonous and unrewarding unlike woodwork.

I agree that woodworking would be much more rewarding than sweatshop work. They're serious criminals, they shouldn't automatically be given rewarding work. They should earn their priveleges. Sweatshop work is hard honest work, and could be considered punishment, but I don't think it qualifies as "cruel and unusual." I agree with Destino, however, that they should get something out of it, such as pay or privelege increases, or after a certain amount of time, a chance to do another kind of work which is more rewarding and/or more to their liking such as woodwork.

I have been saying this for a while! Why let them just sit there and do nothing?

Put them to work. The work that they do now thay only make like $.90 an hour anyway.

I think it is a good idea!

It is a horrible idea. You would completely open yourself up for corruption and exploitation. This would be akin to slave labor. So what if some rich politician is starting a new company, he's going to need workers right? Why not start putting people in jail for other meaningless crimes so you can increase your labor pool?

No freakin way would I ever give ANY government that much power, that is what you had in the likes of the concentration camps and in the gulags. There is absolutely nothing American about it at all.

But, doesn't that still defeat the purpose. Americans, honest, hard working, Americans would still be losing those jobs. It is not so much an issue as to where they are made as it is an issue of exporting jobs that kills the economy.

I'm just presenting this option as an alternative to the option of companies going overseas for labor. At least with this, the money stays in the US. Given it would be better if non-prisoners got the jobs, but if the companies are gonna go overseas for labor, there's gotta be something we can do to compete with it.

It is a horrible idea. You would completely open yourself up for corruption and exploitation. This would be akin to slave labor. So what if some rich politician is starting a new company, he's going to need workers right? Why not start putting people in jail for other meaningless crimes so you can increase your labor pool?

No freakin way would I ever give ANY government that much power, that is what you had in the likes of the concentration camps and in the gulags. There is absolutely nothing American about it at all.

Yeah now that you mention it, the American legal system is corrupt enough as it is with people being put in jail for confessions that were beat out of them. I figure that if we impliment this procedure, you'd see a whole lot more confessions and bloddy faces.

Archived