Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official thread for members old enough to remember every Redskin Superbowl game.

bbuzz1962

I would like to know how you compare this team to the 3 Superbowl winning teams in the past.

I feel there are many similarities in this team. A veteran quarterback who no one really felt was a premier quarterback.

A big dominating offensive line.

An H back, used as a big tight end at times, who can block, and catch, and get RAC's.

A premier running back who can break out a long run at anytime, and supporting running backs who can come in and break one themselves.

A wideout who can burn secondarys in the long ball.

A defensive line who gets pressure on the quarterback, and can create turnovers.

A linebacker core second to no one in the NFL.

A dominating safety, and good cornerbacks when healthy and playing.

A defense capable of causing turnovers and shortening the field for the offense.

A good field goal kicker. A decent punter (although I wasn't sure about that until late in the season)

Special teams play that can create turnovers, and have shown the ability to run kickoffs and punts into scoring range, if not all the way to the house.

A coaching staff who makes second half changes as good or better than any team in the league, and does their best work in December and January.

The best damn fans in the NFL. Let me know if I missed something.

Well, I personally dont see this Redskins team as one of the most dominate in terms of our Superbowl Years. With that said, coach Gibbs has the uncanny ability of getting the most out of his players and is a proven winner. So anything is possible but this team is not the superbowl teams of old.

We won't know how this one compares till it is over and we win it all.

I do feel pretty darn confident in this team against the NFC field though. Seattle is the only team I really worry about. But this team took so long to get it together and I still lack confidence at the QB position. The 87 team was like that. So in many ways I would say this year most resembles my feelings during the 87 season and playoffs.

Well, I personally dont see this Redskins team as one of the most dominate in terms of our Superbowl Years. With that said, coach Gibbs has the uncanny ability of getting the most out of his players and is a proven winner. So anything is possible but this team is not the superbowl teams of old.

I have to reluctantly agree. This team is no '91 Redskins. In fact, they're not even the SB losing 1983 or 1972 Redskins. They're just not quite there. Sorry. But, is it possible they could make it to the show this year? Yes, I think it's possible.

I still think we have some work ahead of us before we make it to the Bowl. After saying this, I still am hoping for a Superbowl appearance. Gibbs has done a outstanding job in just his second year back from a 12 year departure. I think next year we could be a super power with the right moves in the off season! Lets Beat Tampa! GO SKINS

I remember all 3 and to be honest I don't think you can compare now with then fairly.

The teams then, I believe accross the board were much better. The lack of a salary cap allowed you to have quality accross the board and depth that today is impossible to have.

The top teams pre salary cap were better than the top teams now because you could have more good players and keep them together for a decade.

Our team right now is becoming one of the better that this system will allow, but the salary cap and free agency makes comparison with prior teams very difficult.

My father and a bunch of his friends went to Super Bowl XVII (Washington/Miami for those who can't remember) back in 1983 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.

I was supposed to go, but had a bad semester grade-wise (it was 8th grade for crying out loud!) and was not allowed as punishment.

The worst, most memorable punishment I've ever received.

:(

Well, I'm old enough for all of Gibbs Super Bowls (I was in the high school when he won his first one).

I was only 4 or 5 for the '72 Super Bowl, though. No real memories of that.

I'd put this team closer to the '87 team than any other. We have a powerful defense like that team had, and an offense that can be spotty, but just efficent enough to score points and win.

The "amazing quarter" the Redskin offense had in Super Bowl XXII really wasn't indicative of what that offense was like (in the NFC Championship game when we beat the Vikings 17-10, Doug Williams went something paltry like 9 of 24 for 95 yards).

The 2005 Redskin offense is something like that one. It's an offense that can put up points in bunches, but also has its dry spells and dead spots.

We definitely aren't like the '91 team. Not yet, anyway. :) That was a well-oiled machine that just couldn't and wouldn't be stopped.

We may get to that point soon. :cheers:

For the most optimism, look at the '87 team. They got into the playoffs based on the undefeated performance of the strike-replacement team. The proper team's record was a good but not spectacular 8-4. They were not expected to go far in the playoffs, and they definitely weren't expected to win the Superbowl. But Gibbs got his team to win. This year, the Redskins do not match up with with the best of the AFC. But with Gibbs, anything is possible.

I remember all 3 and to be honest I don't think you can compare now with then fairly.

The teams then, I believe accross the board were much better. The lack of a salary cap allowed you to have quality accross the board and depth that today is impossible to have.

The top teams pre salary cap were better than the top teams now because you could have more good players and keep them together for a decade.

Our team right now is becoming one of the better that this system will allow, but the salary cap and free agency makes comparison with prior teams very difficult.

Well, none of the other teams are going to have that depth either.

There are no teams out there now with a Montana, Craig, Rice, Taylor great OL, and a strong defense. There are no 1985 Bears team with stars at all 11 defensive positions either. This team, when healthy is probably just as good as any other including the Colts.

The fact is, this team faced the toughest schedule in the league this year and despite a few bad calls are still in the playoffs. This team is better than its record. 2 losses are in the wrong column and 2-3 others with the team playing like it is now would have went the other way. Only the Giants in NY made this team look bad. We've seen this team make a lot of the competition look bad this year. Thats why a lot of people have been complaining about the conservativness with a lead too.

I've managed to watch all of the SuperBowls.(on TV)

Remembering all of the specifics of every SuperBowl is too daunting a task for me.

However, a few moments of particular SuperBowls do drift out of the fog...

I- The uniqueness of a "true champion" of pro-football being crowned.

III- embarrassed the Jets beat the Colts (Colts fan at the time), percieved "arrogance" of Namath

VII- Kept waiting for the Skins to do something.

Knolls Steelers

Landry's Cowboys

Montana's 49ers

XVII- of course, Joey T defending his own pass and Riggo's run

XVII- Kept waiting for the Skins to do something .... just knew Riggo n' the Hogs would dominate... the int to Squirek

Da Bears... McMahon and Buddy Ryan.

Parcells

XXII... Elway was going to get it done..... Williams going down sucked.......fortunately.. one of my buddys went to the head to shake the lizard .. Skins scored, same buddy hit the refer for another round... missed the next score, he left the room to graze the platters... Skins scored again, ..... he did manage to see "Didier time". ... truly an amazing game, for a Skins fan.

XXVI- I was actually a bit nervous about this one, Buffalo was there the year before and were due, they could put up points and had some studs on defense.... the Skins season had been just too good...

"Hated" the way Thurman strutted his stuff during intro...

..... seem to recall a sacked Kelly having a chuckle with one of Skins defenders while they lay on the ground during the waning moments of the game.

2005 team vs Gibbs SB teams

It's amazing what ONE coach can do for it's fanbase eh?

And that ONE coach is about to win his 4th SB with 4 DIFFERENT qb's.

This team is not quite ready to match up with the '87 team but you can see what JG is doing to turn this franchise into a winner again.

Archived