Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who uses RSS feeds here?

Art

So, we've enabled RSS feeds for our site. Our thought is some people can't have a big black ES screen up at all times at work. But, they could have a news reader up and synching with our site and clicking things that interest them. We could also use this to communicate out chats, stories, announcements and the like, depending on which feeds you, as the member, wish to have enabled.

Does anyone here use this kind of thing and would you find it useful to play around with some? For users who don't know what I'm talking about, just ask and someone -- myself included -- will try to explain :).

Art.

I use RSS all the time - makes keeping up with news on the net manageable.

Yes, and yes. It would make Redskins life a little easier!

Since we're talking higher tech, what's the chance of using an Instant Messenger of some kind for game day? It would make game chats a lot easier. No more clicking on refresh!

Try this browser, http://avantbrowser.com/.

It is a browser that works on top of IE and has some cool features like tabbed browsing and a navigation menu which will refresh pages for you automatically every 10 seconds or at higher intervals if desired.

I have been waiting awhile for this. Great idea.

For those of you using Firefox, it's pretty simple to add the feed directly to the browser. Go to the 'bookmarks' menu and then click 'manage bookmarks.' A new window will pop up. From there, go to 'file' and then click 'new live bookmark.' Under 'feed location' paste the link Art posted above. Now if you go to the 'bookmarks' menu again, you will see this new bookmark.

I tried this and I get a message "Live bookmark feed failed to load". What am I doing wrong here?

Try this

www.ipodder.org

a nice pittle piece of software that quickly scans all your feeds from all your sites and automatically downloads it for use at your option. Runs in the background and works all day for you if you want, and has a small footprint. Then you can add all sorts of podcasts and newsfeeds,,, like, oh I dunno..

www.bangcartoon.com/podcast/bangradio.xml or something like that there.. and create your own radio.

edit,... looks like their server is having some work done, so maybe this will work later.

~Bang

I have been waiting awhile for this. Great idea.

For those of you using Firefox, it's pretty simple to add the feed directly to the browser. Go to the 'bookmarks' menu and then click 'manage bookmarks.' A new window will pop up. From there, go to 'file' and then click 'new live bookmark.' Under 'feed location' paste the link Art posted above. Now if you go to the 'bookmarks' menu again, you will see this new bookmark.

I have several setup in Firefox (ESPN, FOXSports, CNN, etc) but when I follow these instructions, I get the following error...

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

The "document tree" looks like html code - I guess its XML code...

Any suggestions.

EDIT: Actually I just think my internet connection is slower than Simms.

Fantastic! I think that adding RSS to ExtremeSkins is a great idea, and it allows folks to jump quickly to conversations that interest them without wasting time. Though I've been a member of this board for years, I rarely visit (and never, until now, post) because of the time it takes to navigate and to search this site. Obviously, you guys have done a fine job, but RSS makes the site better by making it more accessible. I think you'll find more users for RSS when it becomes a standard part of IE and Windows Vista.

I'd suggest adding the number of replies on a thread to the feed text. I'd also suggest a larger excerpt in the feed (say, the entire originating post).

So, we've enabled RSS feeds for our site. Our thought is some people can't have a big black ES screen up at all times at work. But, they could have a news reader up and synching with our site and clicking things that interest them. We could also use this to communicate out chats, stories, announcements and the like, depending on which feeds you, as the member, wish to have enabled.

Does anyone here use this kind of thing and would you find it useful to play around with some? For users who don't know what I'm talking about, just ask and someone -- myself included -- will try to explain :).

Art.

I don't use RSS feeds, but I know what they are. (I'm a web developer.) Honestly, I'd settle for a message board that renders correctly... :doh:

I don't use RSS feeds, but I know what they are. (I'm a web developer.) Honestly, I'd settle for a message board that renders correctly... :doh:

You'll probably have to be somewhat more specific either here, in a PM or in our Feedback forum. This is the most heavily used NFL message board with tens of thousands of members. The board, obviously and clearly, renders at least acceptably well. There's one uniform rendering issue we're aware of as it's a flaw in the code itself but that's rarely seen.

Should you have a local configuration that is causing a unique rendering issue you'll have to make it known to us so we can see what can be done.

We love the initial look at RSS feeds for the site. However, we're going to disable this for a spell while we look at a couple of things and we assure we're able to handle any growing load it may cause. So, if your feeds stop working, it's because we've turned them off. We will update as we move to this again. Our hope is it will not be a long period to wait given the ease of implementation.

Art.

I love RSS. BTW, there are several options to use RSS: a newsreader client, some browsers support bookmarking RSS feeds and there are several newsreaders you can hit on the internet (either use an online desktop like start.com or an on-line feedreader like gritwire). Actually, more people use RSS (I think the majority) than know what it is (about 10% of internet users).

Archived