Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who uses RSS feeds here?

Art

So, we've enabled RSS feeds for our site. Our thought is some people can't have a big black ES screen up at all times at work. But, they could have a news reader up and synching with our site and clicking things that interest them. We could also use this to communicate out chats, stories, announcements and the like, depending on which feeds you, as the member, wish to have enabled.

Does anyone here use this kind of thing and would you find it useful to play around with some? For users who don't know what I'm talking about, just ask and someone -- myself included -- will try to explain :).

Art.

In theory I know what it is... but not exactly sure how it would work.

IN any event, I'd be interested for while I'm working to have something in place (especially for news such as the signing of Gregg Williams yesterday, though I was in the car and heard it on the radio)...

Thanks!

You need to have a news reader available to you. I happen to use RSS Bandit and connect to the feed which is a simple link.

You can also download something for Outlook to read feeds there:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM011423341033.aspx

I've not tried that but have seen ok things about it. May not work though. In any case, to utilize it you simply have to have a news aggregator that are available everywhere for free then connect to the feed to work.

Art.

Originally posted by LowghostCould someone please explain what a RSS feed is ?

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.

When you "subscribe" to a RSS feed, the latest news and additions to the website will be delivered directly to you. You don't need to subscribe to email alerts or click from one site to the next, trying to see the new content that has been added since your last visit. Put plainly, it allows you to identify the content you like and have it delivered directly to you, taking the hassle out of staying up-to-date by showing you the very latest information that you are interested in.

Art, can you post the link to the feed?

Here is the link to the Stadium Feed:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=24

Pull out the number 24 and add 83 or 84 for Chats or Game Coverage. We'll be adding a lot of those. Or, you can have them all in one big feed by adding commas like 24,83,etc.

The link above ONLY gives you the stadium. But, putting the forum ID in for each forum will give you the rest. I will put together a pretty form for this so you can get them easier in the future for each forum. But that's for the guys who don't understand technology :).

Does anyone here use this kind of thing and would you find it useful to play around with some?Art.

Yes, and yes. It would make Redskins life a little easier!

Since we're talking higher tech, what's the chance of using an Instant Messenger of some kind for game day? It would make game chats a lot easier. No more clicking on refresh!

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.

When you "subscribe" to a RSS feed, the latest news and additions to the website will be delivered directly to you. You don't need to subscribe to email alerts or click from one site to the next, trying to see the new content that has been added since your last visit. Put plainly, it allows you to identify the content you like and have it delivered directly to you, taking the hassle out of staying up-to-date by showing you the very latest information that you are interested in.

I knew that, I was trying to save someone the embassment of asking the question. :silly:

Thank you :cheers:

Sounds like a great tool.

My computer is shiny also. :)

Here is the link to the Stadium Feed:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=24

Pull out the number 24 and add 83 or 84 for Chats or Game Coverage. We'll be adding a lot of those. Or, you can have them all in one big feed by adding commas like 24,83,etc.

The link above ONLY gives you the stadium. But, putting the forum ID in for each forum will give you the rest. I will put together a pretty form for this so you can get them easier in the future for each forum. But that's for the guys who don't understand technology :).

:applause: :notworthy

This is great!

I have been waiting awhile for this. Great idea.

For those of you using Firefox, it's pretty simple to add the feed directly to the browser. Go to the 'bookmarks' menu and then click 'manage bookmarks.' A new window will pop up. From there, go to 'file' and then click 'new live bookmark.' Under 'feed location' paste the link Art posted above. Now if you go to the 'bookmarks' menu again, you will see this new bookmark.

I use RSS for CNN.

Would love to see the feeds from ES.

Yes, the BIG BLACK SCREEN does kinda stand out.

I'm the IT Manager here and it's my job to report people surfing non-work related sites.

I simply am using ES to test to make sure our network connection is up (tee hee....har har)(wink wink nudge nudge)

HTTR!!!!:eaglesuck :eaglesuck

Archived