greenmile

Greatest Skins Trade  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Skins Trade

• Moss for Coles, 2005
    • This year’s 2nd for Chris Cooley in the 3rd in 2004
    • Portis for Champ Bailey + a 2nd rounder, 2004
    • Jim Lachey for Jay Schroeder, 1988
    • George Allen trading draft choices for the rights to Riggins & Theismann, 1976
    • 1971 blockbuster - 7 draft picks + LB to Rams for core of “Over the Hill Gang.
    • 4th & 8th -round picks + LB Tom Roussel to the Saints for Billy Kilmer, 1971
    • Sonny Jurgensen for Philly’s Norm Snead, 1964
    • Dick James to the Giants for LB Sam Huff, 1964
    • #1 draft choice to the Cleveland Browns for WR Bobby Witchell, 1962

The thought sickens me of a future where there is no more "Washington Redskins". UnWise Mike and Wilbon from the Post both agree that the name should be changed, and it scares me that people with such editorial power and influence could make an impact on this.

I'm begging Snyder to do all that he can to make sure the name "Redskins" stays with us forever.

Well, if anyone has less than stellar opinions of Snyder, they would commend him on this fight. Snyder would sooner buy the Cowboys than change the name of the team. One of the reasons I like our owner alot- HE LOVES THE REDSKINS. Their gonna need alot of $$$ to fight Mr. Snyder on this one. But, I don't trust Tagliabue.

The thought sickens me of a future where there is no more "Washington Redskins". UnWise Mike and Wilbon from the Post both agree that the name should be changed, and it scares me that people with such editorial power and influence could make an impact on this.

I'm begging Snyder to do all that he can to make sure the name "Redskins" stays with us forever.

Well....at least we can agree on one thing!

Boy, mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, I like the name and all the tradition that goes with it. On the other hand, it's offensive to a whole group of people. It would be like calling the team the n*****s. Sorry for using the "N" word, just trying to make a point. If they do change the name, I'll still feel just a pasonately about the team as I do now.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Boy, mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, I like the name and all the tradition that goes with it. On the other hand, it's offensive to a whole group of people. It would be like calling the team the n*****s. Sorry for using the "N" word, just trying to make a point. If they do change the name, I'll still feel just a pasonately about the team as I do now.

Boots, First you have not(and better folks have tried) convinced me that the term now nor has ever equalled the level of vulgarity of the other word you chose to compare it to. Secondly the whole concept of political correctness and the censorship of language based on offended ethnic sensibilties to me are bankrupt ideals anyway and frankly offend ME. What about my feelings? Hmm? Im attached to the name of the team. Are you going to accomodate my feelings too? Thirdly if you did manage to get the name changed I would as a fan refuse to use the new one. They will ALWAYS be the REDSKINS to me and there is NOTHING you or anyone else can do to change that and I don't believe that I am alone in feeling this way.

I was watching a show on ESPN2 a few years back. It was when Snyder was going to court to keep the name Redskins. The program showed something I didn't know and was shocked to see. Per Capita, the group that buys the most Washington Redskins merchandise live on Reservations. This being the case, who is it really complaining? I believe it's rich white men.

Thirdly if you did manage to get the name changed I would as a fan refuse to use the new one. They will ALWAYS be the REDSKINS to me and there is NOTHING you or anyone else can do to change that and I don't believe that I am alone in feeling this way.

I'm with you.

Back several years ago when this whole topic was brought up yet AGAIN, I contacted a friend of mine who is an attorney that actually lives on an Indian reservation in Montana, which I had the pleasure of visiting and being a guest.

I asked him what the reservation Indians felt about all the hoopla surrounding the mascot name changes (Specifically, Redskins).

He said that the majority of the residents on the reservations (1) either don't know about what is going on and when told about it, they asked why so much money was being put to something when the money could be put to much more useful means (like education specifically) and (2) that it really didn't matter in the long run to them because the name, while technically derogatory, in the way it is used as a mascot, designates warrior and victory, as well as respect.

I asked him, personally, how he felt and he said he also felt too much energy was being spent on something that really didn't benefit the Indians on the reservations and that if half the energy being spent on the name change could be spent on rights, education issues, etc., that things may go a long way on a better life for some of the residents of the reservations.

Once he told me all this, I opted to believe that the team will always be the Redskins in my heart.

I do not believe Snyder will EVER change the name or mascot. Even if someone actually wins a lawsuit stating that the name is disparraging or offensive (which it is isn't, if people took the time to research the origins of both, they would understand that) Snyder would get every lawyer in the free world to fight the lawsuit and appeal it. Even if it tooks years.

O.K. maybe tne N word was a bit much. Throw in any demeaning word.

The washington WOP's

The washington wet backs

ETC. ETC. ETC.

And while more(PC moment coming) African American people use the N word nowadays than I ever hear from whites, both names I think are just as demeaning to the group of people they target. This is one we'll just have to let time decide.

(another PC moment) Go SKINS!

I dislike the whole PC movement myself, hence the mixed feelings.

I was watching a show on ESPN2 a few years back. It was when Snyder was going to court to keep the name Redskins. The program showed something I didn't know and was shocked to see. Per Capita, the group that buys the most Washington Redskins merchandise live on Reservations. This being the case, who is it really complaining? I believe it's rich white men.

It is. The PC liberal crowd make a living going around telling everyone what they should be offended by. Some of the weaker, more feeble minded back the cause and thank the libs for telling them that they should be offended. They are very upset at themselves for never being offended by said offensive thing before being told to be. :doh: It is very sickening!!!

Guest GibbSkins11

i want the team name redskins and i want the same helmets and the whole 9 yards , but if we have to change it do it like this.......

same helmet just the burgundy instead of the logo

&

change team name to the 'skins

=

red + skins = redskins:applause: :cheers: :applause:

Guest GibbSkins11

also .....

:helmet: the redskins team name is not demeaning , the redskins team name was made for the paint the indians put on their face , it was a honor thing:helmet: .....

it was not mean like redskins = the racist indian name

I will always be a fan of this team (since I first saw Sonny Jurgensen play!) but I think the name should change. Whatever the origins of the name (and I have seen about 15 different stories now), the term Redskin is a derogatory nickname for a downtrodden ethnicity in our society. I know exactly what John Wayne meant when he would talk about a "Redskin" in a movie, and all of you do too.

No, we fans are not racists. No, the team is not racist. And no, it is not the biggest issue in the world. Nevertheless, if I had a vote, I would change the name because it is the right thing to do.

They can be the Skins, they can be the Pigskins, they can be the Hogs, they can be the freaking Water Buffaloes - I don't care, they are still my team!

Archived