Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How bad is Brunell hurt?

carter23

On the radio after the game they said it all depends on how painful it is... if its not TOO bad, he may be able to play with a brace on, so of course it will be day to day and he will have a MRI tomorrow to see the extent of the sprain. Hopefull its not a slight tear or anything!!!!!! That can only be detected with the MRI.

If Brunell DOES play... with a brace... I think you take away the very element that makes him a superior QB. His manuverability within the pocket and his ability to scramble are taken away. Not to mention we saw what his armstrength looked like last year with a bum leg :doh:

I'll take a healthy Ramsey. He impressed me today... I saw him checking down, getting rid of the ball, and even throw one out of bounds. If he can keep that up going into Philly, I'll take it.

Oh yah... Run Clinton Run. :)

If you ask me I think it was a dirty assed hit from the Giants player.He went straight for the knee.

Gibbs also said it was low!!

Two dirty plays in two weeks :mad:

I thought so at first, but after the replay you see the Giants' LB stumble and he was actually falling forward. It wasn't intentional.

If Brunell DOES play... with a brace... I think you take away the very element that makes him a superior QB. His manuverability within the pocket and his ability to scramble are taken away. Not to mention we saw what his armstrength looked like last year with a bum leg :doh:

I'll take a healthy Ramsey. He impressed me today... I saw him checking down, getting rid of the ball, and even throw one out of bounds. If he can keep that up going into Philly, I'll take it.

Oh yah... Run Clinton Run. :)

I agree. You have to play your healthy QB. Can't have a guy in pain worried about making it worse and trying to do more then he's physically able. We have back up QBs for a reason and injuries are it. Besides if everything goes well we'll need Brunell in the playoffs, not pondering retirement should he worsen his injury.

the Redskins have been playing and winning with guys at less than 100% for the past 4 weeks :)

Brunell himself had to play through the second half of the Dallas game after getting the thumb on his throwing hand jammed on the helmet of a Cowboys rusher.

Brunell is a veteran and is not likely to make the big mistake in a game of this magnitude coming up in Philly. If he is able to practice later in the week the Redskins are going to start him.

Ramsey I think did fine. But he was also working with a lead and entered the game at a point where Santana Moss had already established himself and the Giants D was tiring against the run as the Skins were up around 25-30 carries, finishing with 43.

Starting from 0-0 I don't know that I have the same confidence in Ramsey.

In the WP article Bubba Tyer indicated that in past cases of the MCL sprain he said the majority of the qbs were in fact able to play the next week :)

A couple notes... Correct me if I am wrong but a sprain is a partial tear, they are one and the same thing. Second, a sideline shot should him with a brace, it looked to me that it was a brace he already wore on that knee, so having a brace may not be a big deal.

trust me, Gibbs is NOT thinking about resting Brunell and playing Ramsey in order to have Brunell ready for a hypothetical playoff game TWO weeks from now :laugh:

Gibbs is focused entirely on the Eagles game and once again you will see ALL hands on deck to defeat the Eagles. there won't be any players sitting on the bench resting up for the playoffs :D

trust me, Gibbs is NOT thinking about resting Brunell and playing Ramsey in order to have Brunell ready for a hypothetical playoff game TWO weeks from now :laugh:

Gibbs is focused entirely on the Eagles game and once again you will see ALL hands on deck to defeat the Eagles. there won't be any players sitting on the bench resting up for the playoffs :D

No one is talking about rest, we are talking about injury. If he is hurt he runs the risk of further injury by playing too soon. He is also shown himself to be very ineffective when playing on a bad wheel. If you want to see what an injured Brunell looks like, watch last years game footage.

Or read the cliff notes: Brunell looks like **** when he plays injured. The end.

Playing with a sprained MCL is dangerous for someone who doesn't necessarily have treetrunk legs. When your ligaments are torn or sprained, your muscles are required to prevent any further damage. If this is a bad sprain, I see brunell definately sitting out next week. This is not something that is an isolated injury, that a player can perform through while having no risk of further injury.

If you go out with a week knee, you may end up blowing it out with the terrible threesome (MCL ACL PCL) with a big sack or QB rush attempt. No one wants that... Start Ramsey in the game against the Eagles since we can rely a bit more on our defense in that game. :2cents:

I suspect you're right.

I'd bet Gibbs' position (assuming he medically has a choice) will be "I'm starting Brunell, and if the Eagles roll over and wave their legs in the air, then I'll put Ramsey in in the 2nd quarter."

I also suspect, knowing Gibbs, that us folks out here will get absolutely no indication of who's going to be starting. Why not milk the situation for as much of an edge as you can?

"Starting QB? Gee, I haven't decided." :)

I saw the hit on Brunell replayed several times in slow motion, and it was pretty bad. He got hit on the side of the knee, and it bent the way it isn't supposed to. Almost like Theismann, but without the compound fracture. It was apparently the same knee he had reconstructive surgery on a few years ago. The fact that he wasn't able to go back in the game is not a positive sign.

Gibbs would start who he feels gives the Redskins the best chance to win. Me personally believe either Brunell or Ramsey can get the job done. We will beat the eagles in philly not because of the QB but because of the other key players such as Portis, Moss, Cooley, and the defense.

I'd love to see Brunell taking snaps for us but if he is unable to play, I am sure as hell happy to know that we have another guy on the team that could really help us out in a playoff-situation. Like when Bledsoe got injured in New England, Brady came in and became the Superbowl MVP. Same kind of thing here, the Vet gets hurt and the young gun comes in and plays great. Expect something like that if Brunell can't play.

We are very lucky, like I said somewhere else, our team has a lot of Depth, especially at the QB/RB positions

We will be in decent shape regardless of if Ramsey or Brunell start. Our team persona is of a crushing defense and a power running game. The QB is truly a secondary person in this scheme. Brunell has been a great game "manager" for us the last 4 weeks, and what I saw from Ramsey, his decision making has gotten a lot better. He did not sit in the potect waiting for the deep ball and get sacked. He followed his progressions and hit his check down. Later when the down field pass was there, he showed great touch on that pass to Moss. Not to mention, that he has great handoff technique :silly:

Archived