Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wild Card picture...

Potato Sack

Why is it that when ESPN showed a graphic of NFC teams in the hunt for the last Wild Card spot, our team wasn't mentioned. Dallas was on the list, yet if we beat them, we're both 8-6. I'm not really paying attention to the playoff race right now as Washington has once again let me down. But, am I to believe that a team with a 10-6 record (if we were to win out and other teams lost) will NOT make it to the playoffs this year? Or did ESPN just feel they should write the 'Skins off because they think we don't have a chance against Dallas this Week? I mean, come on, it's at FedEx field; and I have a feeling we have a team full of players who have had enough with losing close games.

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Even when we make the playoffs, I think ESPN STILL plans on leaving us out of it. If we go to the Super Bowl, we still won't be involved in any discussions on ESPN. If we win the Super Bowl, I really have no idea what ESPN will talk about that night...probably College Basketball.

We really aren't in the hunt for the Wild Card spot. We pretty much need to win the division to get into the playoffs. We need the Giants to lose to KC while we win out.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think we'd get the second wild card spot if we wind up with beter records than the Vikes and the Falcons, who both have tough games this weekend.

Edit: Actually, I think if we beat Dallas Sunday, we could get the last wildcard spot if we end up tied with Minn, Dallas, and Atlanta b/c of our conference record. If we beat Dallas Sunday, I like our chances.

I have had it with ESPN, they are all Homers. We win out and I think we make playoffs.

Think about it. We started 3-0 and nobody said we would make playoffs. If we finish the last 3 with wins and have a little help we will make the playoffs.

3 games left in the NFC anything can happen

We are on the outside looking in, but we have a very good shot of getting in if we win out.

HAVE FAITH

But its not like 6 teams in the NFC are going to finish 11-5 or better and we have the best conference record if we finish 10-6 so if we win out we will be in the playoffs.

If we win the last 3 all that has to happen is for the Vikings or Falcons to lose a single game or the Giants to lose one of their other 2 games and the Redskins are in.

I think its much more likely that one of those teams will lose a game than it is that the Redskins will win the last 3. The Falcons are likely to finish 9-7 and the Vikings will probably lose at least 1.

All the Redskins have to worry about, as usual, is winning football games. It would be extremely odd for the Vikings, Falcons and Giants to win all their remaining games. If that happened then we could take the Panthers spot if they lose to the Cowboys as well.

The 2 teams with a better conference record lost to one team and that is the Redskins btw.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think we'd get the second wild card spot if we wind up with beter records than the Vikes and the Falcons, who both have tough games this weekend.

Edit: Actually, I think if we beat Dallas Sunday, we could get the last wildcard spot if we end up tied with Minn, Dallas, and Atlanta b/c of our conference record. If we beat Dallas Sunday, I like our chances.

ur right, we got the tiebreakers over them, but will be sweetest with ny giants loss and a dc winout

Even when we make the playoffs, I think ESPN STILL plans on leaving us out of it. If we go to the Super Bowl, we still won't be involved in any discussions on ESPN. If we win the Super Bowl, I really have no idea what ESPN will talk about that night...probably College Basketball.

i assume you mean JV women's basketball, right? (no offense to any WJV players or fans)

Here's a writeup I did on another site...

NFC East Division Possibilities:

If 'skins win out...

- 'Skins beat Dallas and they're ahead of them via tiebreaker.

- 'Skins beat NY Giants and Giants lose to KC Sunday or @Oakland to end season and 'skins win division

If 'skins lose a single game...

- 'Skins single loss to Giants, no way to win division

- 'Skins single loss to Dallas, Dallas must lose both @Carolina and St. Louis AND Giants must lose to KC or @OAK.

- 'Skins single loss to Philly, Giants must lose to KC or @OAK AND Cowboys must lose @CAR or St. Louis.

(Basically looks like 'skins must win all games with a little help from the tough AFC West)

WILDCARD Possibilities:

Assuming Carolina and Tampa secure NFC South and Wildcard (pretty safe bet), that leaves 1 wild card spot open

If 'skins win out :pray: and finish 10-6, then they're only fighting 2 teams for wild card (*note - would include victory over Dallas)...

Atlanta (8-5) - Must lose 1 game out of:

@Chi

@Tampa

Car

Minnesota (8-5) - Must lose 1 game out of:

Pitt

@Balt

Chicago

Now if the 'skins lose a game, it's becomes a 3-team race:

Dallas (8-5) - Must lose 2 games out of:

@Was

@Car

St. Louis

Atlanta (8-5) - Must lose 2 games out of:

@Chi

@Tampa

Car

Minnesota (8-5) - Must lose 2 games out of:

Pitt

@Balt

Chicago

(Certainly not impossible looking at schedules to lose a game and still make playoffs, but the Cowboy game this Sunday is as damn close to "must win" as you can get.)

We aren't really in the immediate playoff picture. A five-game winning streak and some help is not exactly a clear path to the promised land. Though everyone here seems to think it's automatic.

We wouldnt need any help if we win out. If the giants lose this weekend, and we win out, then we are automatically in the platyoffs. You know why, because of conference record. We would be 10-6 w/ a 10-2 conference record, and be 5-1 in the division. So we wouldnt need any help at all, we'd be in the playoffs, and not a wild card because we would be division leaders, and we beat the bears and seahawks.

We wouldnt need any help if we win out. If the giants lose this weekend, and we win out, then we are automatically in the platyoffs. You know why, because of conference record. We would be 10-6 w/ a 10-2 conference record, and be 5-1 in the division. So we wouldnt need any help at all, we'd be in the playoffs, and not a wild card because we would be division leaders, and we beat the bears and seahawks.

Um, the Giants losing IS help.

at this point I could not care less about media attention, getting respect, being favored or future games. i just want the Skins to beat the living hell out of the cowpukes on sunday. i refuse to even entertain any other thought. this game is all that matters right now. it is all there is and there aint nothing else.

we need to focus on beating dallass and forget about all the destractions.

at this point I could not care less about media attention, getting respect, being favored or future games. i just want the Skins to beat the living hell out of the cowpukes on sunday. i refuse to even entertain any other thought. this game is all that matters right now. it is all there is and there aint nothing else.

we need to focus on beating dallass and forget about all the destractions.

I've always wondered why fans need to focus on anything.

LOL...Uh, needing the Giants to lose IS considered needing "help"...you could just as easily say "If the Vikings and Falcons lose this weekend, and we win out, then we are automatically in the playoffs. You know why, because of the conference record. So we wouldn't need any help at all"...

Guest ComebackKing

Lol! Everyone is saying "oh I can see the Falcons or Vikes losing another" "oh yeah we will beat Dallas no question." I think we will beat Dallas this week but I don't see us beating the Giants. We will probably finish 9-7.

I think they are pretty much taking each week as a snapshot and saying who would be in if the season ended today and who is directly on the outside looking in. At the moment, we're a couple games back. Now, a week or two from now we could be in a much better position.

I wouldn't look too deeply into it. If our boys take care of their own business, things will shake out well for us. I find it hard to believe that if we win 2 or 3 game to end this season, we'll miss the playoffs by too much, if at all.

Simple:

Let's say you explained the playoff seeding to your great Aunt who's suffering from dementia who lives in North Dakota. She'd look at the NFC, and she'd see the four teams who are division leaders: Giants, Bucs, Bears, Seahawks. Then she'd figure out which teams are most likely to get the two remaining wildcard spots: Dallas 8-5, Carolina 9-4, Atlanta 8-5, and Minnesota 8-5. It would not occur to the dumb ***** that the Redskins 7-6 have the tiebreaker advantage against all the teams, and it also doesn't occur the to the dumb ***** that the Redskins 7-6 have the easiest schedule of all the teams, because the dumb ***** didn't bother to do the research.

That's why the dumb ******* who do the ESPN graphics don't include the Redskins.

Archived