Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Not going for it on 4th & 1 sent a bad message

zallera

It showed such a lack of confidence in our O-line, and considering it was the 1st quarter and we were in St. Louis territory, I thought we were going to mentally lost the game right there.

But, Gibbs made up for it in the 4th quarter by running on a 3rd and 1, and again on 3rd & goal from the one on the same drive.

And what's up with the terrible spots Portis is getting? He falls over the line all the time, but refs never seem to give him the benefit of the doubt.

its not like we have picked up many yards on 3rd and 4th down when its only a yard to go...i would have like to seen him go for it but i fully understand why he went for the field goal

With the way we had run over the Rams, I don't think there was any reason to doubt our ability to pick up a measily 2 feet or less.

I think what you're seeing is a realization from our coaching staff that our O-line is indeed a weakness and not a strength. Here's my evaluation:

Samuels - Gimpy knee... can no longer explode off the ball on running plays this year

Dockery - Inconsistent .. crushes some opponents and looks to be on skates w/ others

Rabach - Smart... but lacks bulk and gets by on craftiness instead of braun

Thomas - A finesse player, best pulling and trapping, marginal at the point of attack

Jansen - Gutsy...not sold he's confident in his repaired achilles..needs another year

The saving grace is that they continue to play beside each other and SHOULD be starting to "feel" what the others are and will be doing on any given snap.

I think the draft should focus on the lines.... we could use another mauling guard and potentially a tackle to groom if Molinaro/Wilson isn't that guy.

Maybe if the Redskins were behind. But if you are ahead 7-0, and the ball is inside the 30, how can you second guess taking the field goal that would make it a two score lead? I don't think you reasonably can...except if you're playing hindsight is 20/20 after the field goal is missed.

QB sneak is the easiest call on 4&inches (& it was barely inches). And half the time the refs can't even see the ball and just give you the call unless you get pushed back. But the refs have been pretty bad for us. Maybe that is why Gibbs didn't go for the QB sneak on 4&inches, he didn't want to leave another score in the hands of the refs. Take the three point the refs can't take away.

well he is in the mentality that we should get points when we can instead of sitting on a lead, therefore he did that, he got the 3 points instead of risking the off chance that we dont make it. If you think about it, say we dont get that first down, the momentum swing is INSANE! then we get the 3 points and he knows that we can continue our success, we werent desperate for the TD, so he knew we needed points instead of anything else. I'm glad he didnt go for it, Gibbs knows what he's doing

And what's up with the terrible spots Portis is getting? He falls over the line all the time, but refs never seem to give him the benefit of the doubt.

HORRIBLE. He's been getting shady spots all season long...every week I'm screaming at the TV for Gibbs to challenge the spot, and every week he doesn't. Maybe they don't realize they can challenge the spot of the ball???

Quick question: when a player's knee goes down, the spot of the ball is where the ball is at as soon as his knee goes down, right? Forward progress and all that? Or is it determined some other way?

its not like we have picked up many yards on 3rd and 4th down when its only a yard to go...i would have like to seen him go for it but i fully understand why he went for the field goal

But we don't what we're gonna get from our kicker. It's not like it was a gimmie.

well he is in the mentality that we should get points when we can instead of sitting on a lead, therefore he did that, he got the 3 points instead of risking the off chance that we dont make it. If you think about it, say we dont get that first down, the momentum swing is INSANE! then we get the 3 points and he knows that we can continue our success, we werent desperate for the TD, so he knew we needed points instead of anything else. I'm glad he didnt go for it, Gibbs knows what he's doing

The problem with your argument is that we DIDN'T get the 3 points. We still don't know what we're going to get out of John Hall. And I'd have to argue that the momentum swing is just as insane, if not more, when you puss out of going for it on 4th & inches and miss the field goal.

HORRIBLE. He's been getting shady spots all season long...every week I'm screaming at the TV for Gibbs to challenge the spot, and every week he doesn't. Maybe they don't realize they can challenge the spot of the ball???

Quick question: when a player's knee goes down, the spot of the ball is where the ball is at as soon as his knee goes down, right? Forward progress and all that? Or is it determined some other way?

you are correct. it's where the ball is when his knee touches. kind of makes for a tough call, imo.

Agreed. The Rams had the balls to go for it on 4th and 2 with a rookie QB, but we didn't go on it at 4th and inches w/ a strong RB/FB. I hope that changes soon. Because I think right now they have too much faith in an injured John Hall.

You are all idiots!!!! It was a 44yd field goal, one which should have been good. Take the POINTS, that's how football is played, we were outplying them in every facet of the game, take the damn points. It is not Gibb's fault that Hall couldn't hit a field goal. Hall was kicking off deeper than he has all yr, we were in a Dome, there was no reason to not go for the 3.

I personally love going for it, when I'm playing Madden 06!

Exactly just like someone else said on here 7 second in the half no time outs ahead by three i think they said go for a hail mary insted of a run to run the clock out is a great idea...if your playing Madden geeze .....

If we all had monday morning hidsight sunday night then I am sure we would all make different decisions . At the time though in the first quater with a 7 point lead I think 90% of the coaches would have gone for the field goal ... the other 10% are the ones looking for another job next year .....

Not going for it on 4th down was a horrendous call. I really don't like a lot of the calls gibbs makes in situations like that and his awful playcalling at the end of the 1st half which basically precluded a chance for a field goal. A team that needs a spark, a team that is trying to go 5-0 and get something done - needs to take SOME RISKS. It wasn't even a huge risk, especially since hall has been poop lately.

I think if we were in that situation today, knowing more about how our o-line was playing, and knowing our kicker, he would have gone for it without thinking. I'm willing to give Gibbs a pass at that point in the game trying to get two scores up. I think from here on out you'll see us go for that.

You are all idiots!!!! It was a 44yd field goal, one which should have been good. Take the POINTS, that's how football is played, we were outplying them in every facet of the game, take the damn points. It is not Gibb's fault that Hall couldn't hit a field goal. Hall was kicking off deeper than he has all yr, we were in a Dome, there was no reason to not go for the 3.

I personally love going for it, when I'm playing Madden 06!

i respect your point of view but it does send a message to your o that u dont have confidence or courage or "that killer instinct" to get one yard;we need a play like that to change the direction of the team,sorry to bring this up but look what gruden did to us at the end of the game,

Archived