Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Places to go in Philadelphia

SkinsNumberOne

I might be going up to Philly for the first time in many years this weekend. Currently I'm just planning on a day trip (and then going to NYC afterwards) but I'm willing to change the plan if there are other cool places or experiences that I haven't considered.

I'm hoping to get some advice on places to go in Philly.

So far:

Independence Hall

Liberty Bell

Best Cheesesteak (covered in another thread)

Rocky steps (heh)

By the way, I'm actually taking a friend who is a smalltown girl from the midwest who's into all of the touristy stuff. I'm kind of relishing doing the touristy stuff, since I haven't done any of that since I was a kid. It's definitely different for me (and I haven't even been to Philly since I was a kid anyway). If it was just me going, this thread would just be titled "Best bars/clubs in Philadelphia."

Advice on any and all cool/interesting places to go - appreciated!

Franklin Institute

Philly Art Museum

Mutter Museum

All look good to me. THANKS! I knew about the Philly Art Museum, although I had forgotten to mention it after Rocky steps, heh. I was kind of peripherally aware of the Franklin Institute, but would not have thought about it except for the post here... and definitely didn't know about the Mutter Museum.

Anything else? Even a "cool street" like Newbury Street in Boston or whatever would be good stuff... or an interesting area to go through. As for my guest, she appears to be into stuff where she can say "I've been there" or "I did that" when she sees it (e.g. she wanted to go to the Seinfeld restaurant in NYC, get a hot dog from a hot dog stand, etc).

I know practically nothing about Philly. My memories from the one trip when I was a kid aren't really fond, but anyway it was a long time ago... and I was a kid.

Franklin Institute

Philly Art Museum

Mutter Museum

All look good to me. THANKS! I knew about the Philly Art Museum, although I had forgotten to mention it after Rocky steps, heh. I was kind of peripherally aware of the Franklin Institute, but would not have thought about it except for the post here... and definitely didn't know about the Mutter Museum.

Anything else? Even a "cool street" like Newbury Street in Boston or whatever would be good stuff... or an interesting area to go through. As for my guest, she appears to be into stuff where she can say "I've been there" or "I did that" when she sees it (e.g. she wanted to go to the Seinfeld restaurant in NYC, get a hot dog from a hot dog stand, etc).

I know practically nothing about Philly. My memories from the one trip when I was a kid aren't really fond, but anyway it was a long time ago... and I was a kid.

The 'cool' Philly street is South Street (there was a song about it during the 60's - "South Street, South Street where all the hippies meet). It has definitely gone downhill the past 15 years though, but still might be worth checking out.

wow, where to start, I'm not real big into the city, but there are lots of things to do like the others said. You might want to check out Valley Forge Park and the King of Prussia Mall. And there is a small bar near there called the www.trappetavern.com, I'll be the tall good looking bartender on Sat night. South Steet has a ton of shops too and if you want some night life, Olde City has some cool bars along with Columbus Ave(formerly Delaware Ave.)

South Street is a dump- but some freaks are usually out.

But you can't go wrong in old City. That's the trendy spot. But Center City is full of awesome bars and clubs and you really can';t go wrong. Other than it's fans, Philly rocks and there are honestly thousands of things to do at night.

I think it's market St. that runs down and then around the old city hall building. Wonderful restaurants and bars there. My SO and I were up there in Sept..... we ate at a place on the corner across from the city hall building... I think it was McCormicks or something. Regardless, there are all sorts of really cool bars and places to dine, from fine to casual, all up and down that Blvd.

By the way, it was my first time to Philly..... and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

Sounds like you guys are gonna have a blast :D

Monk's is an excellent choice..

If you're down town by City Hall you can check out Nodding Head Brewery.. neat little brew pub and good beer!! I think it was on Samson St just off S Broad.. you can check them out here:

Nodding Head

there's also a link to Monk's on there...

There's a gazillion places to eat.. if you're in a German mood.. check out Ludwig's Garten... great beer selection and just over S Broad from Nodding Head... good food and plenty of it... if you get a beer there I reccomend the "Dirty Ho" :cheers: total girly drink....

Luwig's

have a great time!

I go to Philly every Christmas to see my family. Here's where I would go if I was you.

The train station. Go to NYC or DC -- you'll have a lot more fun and you will see some great looking women.

Ha, nice one. Philly is always after NYC and DC (and Boston) on my list, but then, I live in DC and I go to NYC close to once a month, so this should be a good change of pace.

Anyway, haven't been there in forever, and good spots have come out of this thread. I'm probably leaving tomorrow morning- not sure how long I'll even stay. This is going to be pretty seat-of-the-pants type stuff, but I think I'll take down directions to the places I listed above, and maybe some of the areas people suggested.

Thanks all! Any other suggestsions are still welcome- I'm leaving tomorra.

don't know how much you wanna blow on your trip... but if you or your girl is a choc-o-holic, and your in town sat night... check out the Chocolate Buffet in the rotunda of the Ritz-Carlton (right on S Broad St). It's really pricey (something like $20 person!!! yikes!) but good googily moogily.. it's simply chocolate heaven! :)

don't know how much you wanna blow on your trip... but if you or your girl is a choc-o-holic, and your in town sat night... check out the Chocolate Buffet in the rotunda of the Ritz-Carlton (right on S Broad St). It's really pricey (something like $20 person!!! yikes!) but good googily moogily.. it's simply chocolate heaven! :)

Sounds like a dangerous place! Thanks, I would never have found something like that... very cool... I'll try to check that out.

Franklin Institute

Philly Art Museum

Mutter Museum

that cool street is no longer south street, at least not for adults. main st in manayunk is the happening place where the action is. main st. is high end while south st. is low end/high school/college kid. imo.

Archived