Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Finding Nemo

Luca Brasi

I don't know about you guys, but I was shocked to read that we are only converting 25% of our 3rd and 2 situations. But I guess that makes sense when you consider that we are passing out of a shotgun formation in a short yardage play. Not converting these critical 3rd downs can be traced as one of the sole reasons for losing the last three games. That is why it is time to get back to basics, get everyone on the line, and pound the ball.

For everything that Portis offers, this isn't one of them. Nothing against him, as he can do things that few others can, but weighing in at 205 is a decided disadvantage when trying to push the pile. Gibbs' game plans have been pretty good until it comes time to run the ball, milk the clock, and keep the other team's offense off the field. That used to be his bread and butter, but now it seems like we're scared to run when we get to 3rd down.

I think it's time to give Nehemiah Broughton a shot. He can run, he can knock people back, and he's as healthy as possible after riding the pine all year. I can envision bringing in Ray Brown as a blocking tight end, having Sellars as a lead blocker out of the backfield, and running Nemo down people's throat in the 4th quarter. I truly hope he at least gets a shot this year. That is what everyone pictured when we drafted him, and it's clear that we are in dire need of the ability to convert crucial, short yardage plays in the 4th quarter.

I don't know about you guys, but I was shocked to read that we are only converting 25% of our 3rd and 2 situations. But I guess that makes sense when you consider that we are passing out of a shotgun formation in a short yardage play. Not converting these critical 3rd downs can be traced as one of the sole reasons for losing the last three games. That is why it is time to get back to basics, get everyone on the line, and pound the ball.

For everything that Portis offers, this isn't one of them. Nothing against him, as he can do things that few others can, but weighing in at 205 is a decided disadvantage when trying to push the pile. Gibbs' game plans have been pretty good until it comes time to run the ball, milk the clock, and keep the other team's offense off the field. That used to be his bread and butter, but now it seems like we're scared to run when we get to 3rd down.

I think it's time to give Nehemiah Broughton a shot. He can run, he can knock people back, and he's as healthy as possible after riding the pine all year. I can envision bringing in Ray Brown as a blocking tight end, having Sellars as a lead blocker out of the backfield, and running Nemo down people's throat in the 4th quarter. I truly hope he at least gets a shot this year. That is what everyone pictured when we drafted him, and it's clear that we are in dire need of the ability to convert crucial, short yardage plays in the 4th quarter.

Luca. this plan seems good to me. the only thing that might stop Gibbs from doing that is that Nemo had a couple of costly turnovers in the offseason. However I think you have something there. No way is Portis the best back to send up the middle on a 3 and 2 when the entire world knows we are running it there.

I was saying the same thing I'm very surprised that they haven't used this kid I thought going in to this season he would be a part of the offense.

Until our O-Line stops penetration at the point of attack you can put Riggo, George Rogers, or Gerald Riggs back there and expect the same results.

It's not fair to Nemo, Betts, or CP to expect them to out muscle a 250 pound LB or a 290 pound D-Linemen that is getting excellent penetration. Remember the LA hit on Lamont Jordan, and Jordan is a big boy.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Problem is, Nemo is usually inactive.

Also, wouldn't it be pretty obvious what we are doing if we put him in there? Particularly since he might be a liability in pass blocking.

Anyways, I think short yardage is more of a function of the o-line winning at the line of scrimmage rather than the ability of the back.

Jason

I agree w/ this assessment. Nemo went to school w/ a good friend of mine at the Citadel and he mentioned the guy can flat out play. He's big and has a surpisingly good first step but his biggest compliment came from blocking. He's a heck of a blocker, similar to a Alstott type of fullback. I think they should at least give him some type of shot on the offense and not only on Special Teams.

I like it... but I think you're asking alot of Gibbs to put a rookie in late in a game and ask him to pound out the tough yards.... especially after he showed a penchants to fumble the football in preseason. Also...defenses are in total turnover mode when the offense is trying to salt a game away..... not a good mixture in the eyes of a veteran HOF coach.

I think Nemo gets a bigger role next year.... and we'll get our first look at Manuel White as an H-back/R-back hybrid.

Finally, I actually think Betts is the best short yardage back we have. He's slippery, always seems to break the first tackle, and has nack for pushing the pile for extra yards. It's a shame he's injury prone.

I went through this same thought process Luca, but Nemo put it on the ground a couple times in pre-season. Combine that with the fact he's a rookie and I don't see Gibbs doing it. I was shocked to see him hand it to Sellers in a goal line scenrio even though I was screeming for it. I think Gibbs will be slow to go back to it because Sellers fumbled, albeit after he broke the plane.

Problem is, Nemo is usually inactive.

Also, wouldn't it be pretty obvious what we are doing if we put him in there? Particularly since he might be a liability in pass blocking.

Anyways, I think short yardage is more of a function of the o-line winning at the line of scrimmage rather than the ability of the back.

Jason

Wow, thanks. I was wondering from all the times I've posted the thought, if I was so wrong about the lack of explosivesness in the line getting off the ball quick and getting any penetration that I see in short yardage and goal-line situations, that no one even wanted to say anything to me about it :laugh:

What I do see is that our guys tend to tie up, and they wrestle well trying to push to the side, but they just don't seem to push/blast people backwards.

I think rock is the choice in 3rd and short situations. He has always excelled in that position. He's short(hard to see) stout, and has good instincts for that type of play.

Rock is 80%+ in 3rd and shorts... It's not like he has had 2 or 3 3rd and Shorts. He started a few games for us a few years back. I've always liked him in a split back formation with Portis.. Defense won't know who we'll go with. It's 50% more difficult to defend the play. Too bad we never do that. Even if it's just single back, I'd go with Rock on the short yardage downs..

I also like Rocks hands a bit better then I do Portis's, although Portis is no slouch catching the ball.

We need to line up in "heavy jumbo" with Nemo and Sellers in the backfield and then have Brunell do a play-action rollout. He could probably walk in. If that doesn't work, line up the exact same way on the next play and see if Nemo can get it in. We need to be unpredictable on the goal line. Run, run, pass, kick doesn't get us anywhere.

good call midpennskin but i think if they lined up in that full house id run it man nothing like just getting completely run over on third and short if your a defense it = demoralization and seems to take all the air outta them.....ya man i miss nemo too i couldnt figure out why i wasnt seeing him i figured he was hurt or something is manuel white injured for the season i never heard anything about him either???? man these guys are both perfect for the situation we need them

i do not understand why Gibbs does not find it a must to have a tall reciever and a big back. Its like we have morons running our offseason

The two weakness we have are red zone offense.( tall reciever) And short yardage and first downs ( big back) It seems like it should be a must to have a tall wide out and big back. Its like the NBA not having anybody over 6 7 on your team

with our cap room i think gibbs did everything he possibly could have and i think he got a ton of HUGE offseason players aka moss and some of the guys hes drafted but its tough to get everything...a big receiver would be huge for our offense as long as his name isnt mccants :)

Archived