Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Ole Coach Joe! "Boy we fought our guts out"

dwills1

I wrote an article earlier this season about Gibbs and his ability to be great at this level TODAY, and many ridiculed me. I saw responses like "he won 3 super bowls and he's a hall of fame coach". This is of course true in many ways, but what does that have to do with today?

The game is way faster, the players are way stronger, and coaches are way smarter. So what does the Joe Gibbs legacy mean today? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The conservative play calling, the lack of creativity, and the inability to consistently move the ball late in the game, has shown that Gibbs isn't up to speed. Just because he was a proven coach last decade doesn't mean he is proven now. Gibbs is no different than the good ole ball coach in his second era. What you people need to do is get off of your knees, and stand up.

Stop praising Gibbs. Stop putting all the blaim on the players. If we are running a predictable offense, regardless of how well we execute, most NFL defenses will line up to stop us. Robert Royal drops two first downs, why throw to him a third? Who is Robert Royal? He is a mediocre tight end at best. Where was Santana Moss in the second half vs the Chargers? Where and when did we take our shots down feild with Moss? We haven't thrown Moss a deep ball in 2 games now. The run play calling is terrible. It's the same old run right every time.

Until Gibbs awakens from this 80's coma, we will continue to lose games, players will become frustrated (if not already), and our team will become less attractive to free agents. I guess none of this will matter as long "as we fight our guts out"! "Up here it's a tough battle every week boy I tell ya"!

The man was out of football for 11 seasons. It's going to take him time to catch up. He already looks much more comfortable than last year. I'm sure he'll make the necessary adjustments and we'll be that much better next year. For one thing he can go into the offseason with the right qb as the starter instead of Ramsey.

Were you on the sideline to know exactly why they didn't throw deep to S.Moss or anyone else? My point is is that you and I as fans, sitting behind our computers and tvs cannot continue to act like we can see things just as well as people who are right down there in thick of it all.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

it's all about execution. funny how, so many teams this season are copying Gibbs max protect schemes, and are adopting his H-back concept.when they are so dated and useless.

his inept schemes and play calling has had the offense ranked in the top 10 almost all season, scored 35 on the #1 defense, and beat 3 division leading teams....but now after three fourth quarter meltdowns because the players failed to execute...he is back being stuck in the 80's BS. I guess for three quarters yesterday, he was smart, then in the 4th he went stupid?

:rolleyes:

it doesn't matter what he does, if it isn't a win... and by a lot of points at that... there will be guys posting on here about he is behind the times, he coaches to lose, the games passed him by.... yet no eviedence is giving, or anything to back up their claims.

BTW, You do realize that the 80's were one of the most prolific offense periods in football, and many offensive records are still held today, set back then?

Dude,

Look, I understand that you're trying to be a Skins fan and at 22 couldn't possibly have enough experience in anything to understand what it is that a coach does, so I'm going to cut you a break.

You should understand this though:

The speed and strength of today's players compared with players in the 1980s has nothing to do with whether a coach has still got it.

Good Luck. I look forward to reading your posts when you have twenty more years of work experience, education, and have coached a sport.

Gibbs will figure it out next year.... we heard that last year. Im all for giving people second chances etc, but theres NO excuse for not having figured it out by now. 2 seasons to harsh? Its not that its just 2 seasons, its the fact that its RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS FACE. The last 3 games were ALL lost because of the same thing... his super-conservative playcalling, 2 of which were against offenses that were marching right down the field against our defense. Its not that he hasnt figured it out yet, its that he hasnt figured it out yet with as obvious a problem as it has been.

I wrote an article earlier this season about Gibbs and his ability to be great at this level TODAY, and many ridiculed me. I saw responses like "he won 3 super bowls and he's a hall of fame coach". This is of course true in many ways, but what does that have to do with today?

The game is way faster, the players are way stronger, and coaches are way smarter. So what does the Joe Gibbs legacy mean today? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The conservative play calling, the lack of creativity, and the inability to consistently move the ball late in the game, has shown that Gibbs isn't up to speed. Just because he was a proven coach last decade doesn't mean he is proven now. Gibbs is no different than the good ole ball coach in his second era. What you people need to do is get off of your knees, and stand up.

Stop praising Gibbs. Stop putting all the blaim on the players. If we are running a predictable offense, regardless of how well we execute, most NFL defenses will line up to stop us. Robert Royal drops two first downs, why throw to him a third? Who is Robert Royal? He is a mediocre tight end at best. Where was Santana Moss in the second half vs the Chargers? Where and when did we take our shots down feild with Moss? We haven't thrown Moss a deep ball in 2 games now. The run play calling is terrible. It's the same old run right every time.

Until Gibbs awakens from this 80's coma, we will continue to lose games, players will become frustrated (if not already), and our team will become less attractive to free agents. I guess none of this will matter as long "as we fight our guts out"! "Up here it's a tough battle every week boy I tell ya"!

Yup, and we all know that Gibbs is the one calling the plays right? :doh:

How did the players fail to execute in the last 3 games?

WHICH player on the offensive side of the ball didnt he even give an opportunity to do something in the last 3 4th quarters?

Not one. He wouldnt let brunell throw, he wouldnt let portis run a non-predictable running play.

We saw the defense step up against the chargers with those big second half picks.

Whatever buddy- I laugh at the fact you believe what you write.

I also am sure if that square box you sit in front of told you pigs could fly you would start repeating that too. Don't even come aboard when this team turns the corner.

'The players are to fast and big'- That's funny pal, I actually got a laugh from you at least

it's all about execution. funny how, so many teams this season are copying Gibbs max protect schemes, and are adopting his H-back concept.when they are so dated and useless.

his inept schemes and play calling has had the offense ranked in the top 10 almost all season, scored 35 on the #1 defense, and beat 3 division leading teams....but now after three fourth quarter meltdowns because the players failed to execute...he is back being stuck in the 80's BS. I guess for three quarters yesterday, he was smart, then in the 4th he went stupid?

it doesn't matter what he does, if it isn't a win... and by a lot of points at that... there will be guys posting on here about he is behind the times, he coaches to lose, the games passed him by.... yet no eviedence is giving, or anything to back up their claims.

BTW, You do realize that the 80's were one of the most prolific offense periods in football, and many offensive records are still held today, set back then?

Funny how I'm listening to ESPN (sorry Bubba0 but their praising Marty for sticking to the RUN- DOWN bu 10 and we have fans yelling about running UP by ten.

OH YEA- I just watched the OT TD run again- funny too that it was a pulling guard play (ala counter trey) to win it.

Don't listen to the ignorant.

How did the players fail to execute in the last 3 games?

Oh, I don't know...how about when we're in a position to put the game away our center TACKLES a defensive lineman, out in the open in front of the refs? How about that? That's not good execution, that's cheating.

How about when we're driving, eating up clock and field position, and our TE drops a critical 3rd down pass?

But of course, those two things are Gibbs' fault. :rolleyes:

The only critique I have of Gibbs' playcalling the past 3 weeks is that he abandoned the run in the second half of the Oakland game. But, he kept at it against the Chargers, and we should have won that game.

WHICH player on the offensive side of the ball didnt he even give an opportunity to do something in the last 3 4th quarters?

Not one. He wouldnt let brunell throw, he wouldnt let portis run a non-predictable running play.

We saw the defense step up against the chargers with those big second half picks.

Yeah, those running plays are sooooooooooo predictable. They're the same ones he calls all game, man. The same ones that Portis racked up 70 yards or so on in the 1st three quarters. How did he do that, if they are sooooooooooooo predictable??? :rolleyes:

Yeah, the defense stepped up, which is exactly why we were in position to win the game. We almost did win the game, despite Rabach's monumental screw-up, because Hall is a very good kicker. If it had been from 43, like it should have been, Hall makes those kicks in his sleep.

Correct me if I'm wrong but arent 6 starters on offense and 7 starters on defense JG players?....Guys that he has brought in? Is everyone saying that this team didnt have 9 players who were NFL starters? I like JG as much as te next person but he has to produce. Theres no free pass in the NFL and being a good coach doesnt mean he can handle player aquisitions and the NFL draft. Guys this is where we are getting beat. Its not his coaching ability. This team doesnt have any more talent on it now than it did when he took over if it has as much. Hes doing well with what he has, he just hasnt given himself anything to work with.

I just posted this in another thread, but I feel its relevant to your argument. Portis carried the ball 13 times for 37 yards in the last few series of the game, and average of close to 3 yards per carry. You'll see, highlighted in yellow, the reasons why we could not move the ball.

1-10-WAS25 (14:04) C.Portis right end to WAS 28 for 3 yards (Q.Jammer).

2-7-WAS28 (13:24) C.Portis right end to WAS 30 for 2 yards (D.Edwards).

3-5-WAS30 (12:49) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to R.Royal.

4-5-WAS30 (12:45) D.Frost punts 39 yards to SD 31, Center-E.Albright. E.Parker to SD 33 for 2 yards (C.Clemons).

PENALTY on WAS-P.Prioleau, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at WAS 30 - No Play.

4-15-WAS20 (12:34) D.Frost punts 41 yards to SD 39, Center-E.Albright, fair catch by E.Parker.WAS-J.Farris was injured during the play.

PENALTY on SD-Q.Jammer, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at SD 39.

1-10-WAS14 (11:11) C.Portis right guard to WAS 15 for 1 yard (R.Godfrey).

2-9-WAS15 (10:32) C.Portis left tackle to WAS 22 for 7 yards (L.Castillo).

3-2-WAS22 (9:49) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to T.Jacobs.

4-2-WAS22 (9:42) D.Frost punts 33 yards to SD 45, Center-E.Albright, fair catch by E.Parker.

1-10-WAS16 (8:03) C.Portis right end to WAS 22 for 6 yards (S.Foley).

2-4-WAS22 (7:19) C.Portis left guard to WAS 25 for 3 yards (I.Olshansky).

3-1-WAS25 (6:42) C.Portis right end to WAS 26 for 1 yard (J.Williams).

1-10-WAS26 (6:20) M.Brunell pass incomplete to R.Royal.

2-10-WAS26 (6:14) M.Brunell pass to T.Jacobs pushed ob at WAS 37 for 11 yards (D.Florence).

1-10-WAS37 (5:43) C.Portis right end to WAS 41 for 4 yards (J.Williams).

2-6-WAS41 (5:00) C.Portis right tackle to WAS 41 for no gain (S.Cooper).

3-6-WAS41 (4:51) (Shotgun) M.Brunell FUMBLES (Aborted) at WAS 30, ball out of bounds at WAS 30.

4-17-WAS30 (4:40) D.Frost punts 37 yards to SD 33, Center-E.Albright, fair catch by E.Parker.

1-10-WAS27 (3:25) C.Portis up the middle to WAS 30 for 3 yards (I.Olshansky).

2-7-WAS30 (2:53) M.Brunell pass to T.Jacobs pushed ob at WAS 33 for 3 yards (D.Florence).

3-4-WAS33 (2:48) (Shotgun) M.Brunell sacked at WAS 33 for 0 yards (S.Phillips).

4-4-WAS33 (2:39) D.Frost punts 38 yards to SD 29, Center-E.Albright. E.Parker to SD 29 for no gain (M.Bowen).

1-10-SD31 (1:04) C.Portis to SD 25 for 6 yards (B.Jue, D.Florence).

2-4-SD25 (:55) C.Portis right end to SD 25 for no gain (L.Castillo).

PENALTY on WAS-C.Rabach, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SD 25 - No Play.

2-14-SD35 (:50) C.Portis left end to SD 35 for no gain (R.Godfrey).

3-14-SD35 (:40) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Cooley (S.Merriman).

4-14-SD35 (:35) J.Hall 52 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-E.Albright, Holder-D.Frost.

Stop putting all the blaim on the players. Where and when did we take our shots down feild with Moss?

Sorry. It's hard to take you seriously when you can't spell "blame" or field."

Gibbs will be fine. It is now blatantly clear to him that the defense is not going to be bailing him out anymore. We'll be fine.

Sorry. It's hard to take you seriously when you can't spell "blame" or field."

Gibbs will be fine. It is now blatantly clear to him that the defense is not going to be bailing him out anymore. We'll be fine.

Well, except that they did last game. The defense put us in a position to kick the game winning field goal by intercepting Brees in Charger territory. It was our offensive line that let us down, and Rabach in particular.

Nice try, though.

Well, except that they did last game. The defense put us in a position to kick the game winning field goal by intercepting Brees in Charger territory. It was our offensive line that let us down, and Rabach in particular.

Nice try, though.

I see where you are coming from, but Gibbs went into the prevent offense waaaay too early, and the D gave up 10 in the 4th to tie it up. I get what you are saying, but you aren't entirely correct. In my humble, uninformed opinion, of course.

I see where you are coming from, but Gibbs went into the prevent offense waaaay too early, and the D gave up 10 in the 4th to tie it up. I get what you are saying, but you aren't entirely correct. In my humble, uninformed opinion, of course.

I see what you are saying, but on the touchdown scoring drive, the refs basically moved the ball down the field for the Chargers.

1-10-SD33 (4:36) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass to E.Parker pushed ob at WAS 45 for 22 yards (W.Harris). Penalty on WAS-W.Harris, Illegal Contact, declined.

1-10-WAS45 (4:31) L.Tomlinson right guard to WAS 47 for -2 yards (M.Washington).

PENALTY on WAS-C.Clemons, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 45 - No Play. (bullcrap)

1-5-WAS40 (4:21) L.Tomlinson to WAS 37 for 3 yards (S.Springs). (should have been 2nd and 12)

2-2-WAS37 (3:44) D.Brees pass incomplete to E.Parker.

PENALTY on WAS-C.Rogers, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 37 - No Play. (should have been 3rd and 9, incomplete pass, 4th and 9, instead a penalty-driven drive gets new life).

1-10-WAS32 (3:37) L.Tomlinson left end for 32 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

N.Kaeding extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Binn, Holder-M.Scifres.

Can't really defend the 32 yard run by LT2 except that it should have never happened. The refs were itching to call penalties against us.

let's see....3 more wins and you're totally singing a different tune..Denver,Oakland and Tampa..just fell short.

dump the bum!!!!...geez!

sometimes I actually think we the fans get what we deserve...

Well, if era of previous success were the root issue, Vermiel and Parcells are incapable of winning today too. So what you must mean is not to argue based on Gibbs' era as his limitation, but that it's his football intelligence in adapting to things today compared to those guys.

Oh wait, that doesn't work yet either. Those guys have had similalry rough rides over spans of a year and a half since their comeback, just like Gibbs. There is this though, while your original argument will be lame no matter what, if after three years he fails to get this team to either a 10-6 record, and/or into the first round of the play-offs (thus comparable to his peers), THEN you can say he's turned out to have dissapointing comeback compared to those other guys, and then for each year after that when things don't improve you can step up the adjectives (i.e. 4th=lousy, 5th=horrible). :rolleyes:

A must read^^^^^^^^Great Point!

Archived