Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Ole Coach Joe! "Boy we fought our guts out"

dwills1

Well, except that they did last game. The defense put us in a position to kick the game winning field goal by intercepting Brees in Charger territory. It was our offensive line that let us down, and Rabach in particular.

Nice try, though.

BS, the guy played like a beast the whole game and (probably slipped) held so it's his fault? The offense had two chances to get the ball into a reasonable range for Hall following the penalty. They didn't get it done. Penalties happen, you gotta find a way to win. PERIOD!:logo:

I see what you are saying, but on the touchdown scoring drive, the refs basically moved the ball down the field for the Chargers.

1-10-SD33 (4:36) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass to E.Parker pushed ob at WAS 45 for 22 yards (W.Harris). Penalty on WAS-W.Harris, Illegal Contact, declined.

1-10-WAS45 (4:31) L.Tomlinson right guard to WAS 47 for -2 yards (M.Washington).

PENALTY on WAS-C.Clemons, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 45 - No Play. (bullcrap)

1-5-WAS40 (4:21) L.Tomlinson to WAS 37 for 3 yards (S.Springs). (should have been 2nd and 12)

2-2-WAS37 (3:44) D.Brees pass incomplete to E.Parker.

PENALTY on WAS-C.Rogers, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 37 - No Play. (should have been 3rd and 9, incomplete pass, 4th and 9, instead a penalty-driven drive gets new life).

1-10-WAS32 (3:37) L.Tomlinson left end for 32 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

N.Kaeding extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Binn, Holder-M.Scifres.

Can't really defend the 32 yard run by LT2 except that it should have never happened. The refs were itching to call penalties against us.

I agree with 100% what you posted but for one thing, about the regs where itching to call penalties agaisnt us...

Why where they so itching to do so? is it a conspericy agasinst us, they just dont like us, that Paul Tagliabue has ordered the Refs to do so? Maybe we did commit those penalties, and maybe SD didnt have blantent holds.

Here is all the penalties for the whole game

-----------------------------------------------------------

Washington PENALTY on WAS-L.Arrington, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at WAS 44.

San Diego Penalty on SD-D.Florence, Illegal Contact, declined.

San Diego PENALTY on SD-K.Osgood, False Start, 5

Washington PENALTY on WAS-S.Taylor, Illegal Contact, 5 yards,

Washington PENALTY on WAS-C.Rabach, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at WAS 37 - No Play.

Washington Penalty on WAS-R.Thomas, Offensive Holding, declined

San Diego PENALTY on SD-L.Jordan, False Start, 5

San Diego PENALTY on SD-M.Goff, False Start, 5 yards,

Washington PENALTY on WAS-P.Prioleau, Offensive Holding, 10 yards,

San Diego PENALTY on SD-Q.Jammer, Illegal Block Above the Waist,

Washington Penalty on WAS-W.Harris, Illegal Contact, declined.

Washington PENALTY on WAS-C.Clemons, Defensive Offside, 5 yards

Washington PENALTY on WAS-C.Rogers, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, ,

San Diego PENALTY on SD-L.Jordan, Tripping, 10 yards,

Washington PENALTY on WAS-C.Rabach, Offensive Holding, 10 yards

9 to 6, and most of the penalties where stupid penalties made by Washington. The punch to the face by Lavar, the hold by Rabach. C. Clemons being over the line on the drive that we helped them score. of the 3 penalties on that drive, 2 where legit and the 1 other one I could not see or do not remember (the walt harris illegal contact)

When we win, you never hear us say anything about the refs may of screwed the other team, but when we play like crap in the 4th like we did, its easy to look at other things to blame.

Correct me if I'm wrong but arent 6 starters on offense and 7 starters on defense JG players?....Guys that he has brought in? Is everyone saying that this team didnt have 9 players who were NFL starters? I like JG as much as te next person but he has to produce. Theres no free pass in the NFL and being a good coach doesnt mean he can handle player aquisitions and the NFL draft. Guys this is where we are getting beat. Its not his coaching ability. This team doesnt have any more talent on it now than it did when he took over if it has as much. Hes doing well with what he has, he just hasnt given himself anything to work with.

Make no mistake, Gibbs is turning this organization around. We are in great shape for the long-term. We are drafting great young talent: Chris Cooley was a third round steal. Sean Taylor was well worth the 1st round pick (they were both better picks than Winslow). Carlos Rogers is also lookign to be a good pick. Heck, I'll be willing to bet that Jason Campbell will be good down the road.

We also have a young receiver in the midst of a breakout season in Santana Moss. Portis is playing a good overall game (including blocking, running, recieving, recovering fumbles, tackleing, and hitting balls out of bounds); he will be here a while. Brunell turned out to be a good idea and could give us another couple years while Campbell develops. The offensive line is playing as a unit and finally recovering from the Spurrier disaster. The defense corrected a lot of doubters when they got all their starters back and put Rogers in at the #2 corner.

Most importantly they are developing a team unity - a cohesiveness. The real key to success is continuity and we finally have it. This year has been a growing process, and a hard one at times. The team just needs to stay together and they will make a great run next year. The Coach and The Danny say they like the team, so these guys are gonna get another go at it. They will be Awesome next year. I'm sure of it. Heck, they have made me happy this year (they beat Dallas and will have the first winning record in 6 years).

In all, this is an organization making good decisions and improving. IN other words, they show signs of good leadership. Have a little more patience with Joe. He has guided the team back to respectability. Now he will guide them back to the playoffs.

The last 3 games were ALL lost because of the same thing... his super-conservative playcalling

Actually, the Raiders game was lost because he abandoned the run. Thats not conservative enough. The bucs game we put up 35 points on the #1 defense in the league. That game was lost because of Taylor and Griff's absence, a poorly executed 3rd and 2, and a couple bad calls by the officials. Against the chargers Gibbs did get a little too conservative, but lets not go changing history.

Any team should be able to get a couple first downs running the ball late in the game though - to some extent you have to say the execution was poor. Our defense was playing great, we should have been running. We just couldn't execute the run and kill the clock.

I know I'll get blasted as a homer but I really notice the difference between how much more things make sense after listening to Gibbs talk about the game and answer the presses' questions on most Mondays compared to what most of us speculate, claim, or offer up as expert analysis here during and after the game :D .

That comment allows for a few exceptions, as there is some truly good analysis, pros and cons, on this site.

Two disclaimers: 1. Obviously, I'm not implying (and neither does he) that there aren't things each week that are mistakes by players and coaches, just that our (as fans) take on things, generally and obviously, is just so much more limited. 2. I am respectfully burnt-out on Joe's 2005 cliche' bag, and you guys know which phrases I mean, even though I agree with their spirit. I just wish he'd pick some different ways to say them or just leave them out sometimes.

Man, I LOVE winning, but there's still not even one little thing I'm sorry about for having Gibbs here now, or for still liking almost all the players we have, though I see some going away to make the team better.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

it's all about execution. funny how, so many teams this season are copying Gibbs max protect schemes, and are adopting his H-back concept.when they are so dated and useless.

his inept schemes and play calling has had the offense ranked in the top 10 almost all season, scored 35 on the #1 defense, and beat 3 division leading teams....but now after three fourth quarter meltdowns because the players failed to execute...he is back being stuck in the 80's BS. I guess for three quarters yesterday, he was smart, then in the 4th he went stupid?

:rolleyes:

it doesn't matter what he does, if it isn't a win... and by a lot of points at that... there will be guys posting on here about he is behind the times, he coaches to lose, the games passed him by.... yet no eviedence is giving, or anything to back up their claims.

BTW, You do realize that the 80's were one of the most prolific offense periods in football, and many offensive records are still held today, set back then?

Well I was a younger lad when this happened, but I remember when Joe Gibbs's ultra conservative approach put up 35 points in one quarter against the AFC Champion Denver Broncos.

Oh wait, how about in 91, when his ultra conservative style allowed us to pretty much score at will on the way to 12 straight wins??

Btw I think we scored 40+ points in the superbowl that year.

Your wrong Bubba.. Joe Gibbs's ultra conservative offense has cost us for years. It's aweful :rolleyes:

Well I was a younger lad when this happened, but I remember when Joe Gibbs's ultra conservative approach put up 35 points in one quarter against the AFC Champion Denver Broncos.

Oh wait, how about in 91, when his ultra conservative style allowed us to pretty much score at will on the way to 12 straight wins??

Btw I think we scored 40+ points in the superbowl that year.

Your wrong Bubba.. Joe Gibbs's ultra conservative offense has cost us for years. It's aweful :rolleyes:

Oh, well, what do you young guys know? ;) :laugh:

I wrote an article earlier this season about Gibbs and his ability to be great at this level TODAY, and many ridiculed me. I saw responses like "he won 3 super bowls and he's a hall of fame coach". This is of course true in many ways, but what does that have to do with today?

The game is way faster, the players are way stronger, and coaches are way smarter. So what does the Joe Gibbs legacy mean today? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The conservative play calling, the lack of creativity, and the inability to consistently move the ball late in the game, has shown that Gibbs isn't up to speed. Just because he was a proven coach last decade doesn't mean he is proven now. Gibbs is no different than the good ole ball coach in his second era. What you people need to do is get off of your knees, and stand up.

Stop praising Gibbs. Stop putting all the blaim on the players. If we are running a predictable offense, regardless of how well we execute, most NFL defenses will line up to stop us. Robert Royal drops two first downs, why throw to him a third? Who is Robert Royal? He is a mediocre tight end at best. Where was Santana Moss in the second half vs the Chargers? Where and when did we take our shots down feild with Moss? We haven't thrown Moss a deep ball in 2 games now. The run play calling is terrible. It's the same old run right every time.

Until Gibbs awakens from this 80's coma, we will continue to lose games, players will become frustrated (if not already), and our team will become less attractive to free agents. I guess none of this will matter as long "as we fight our guts out"! "Up here it's a tough battle every week boy I tell ya"!

You realize you said, "don't blame the players," and "who is Robert Royal" in the same paragraph? :doh: Kind of underminds the whole rant my man.

*Sigh* Yet another "Play Station Commando." Consider yourself re-ridiculed.

Dude,

Look, I understand that you're trying to be a Skins fan and at 22 couldn't possibly have enough experience in anything to understand what it is that a coach does, so I'm going to cut you a break.

You should understand this though:

The speed and strength of today's players compared with players in the 1980s has nothing to do with whether a coach has still got it.

Good Luck. I look forward to reading your posts when you have twenty more years of work experience, education, and have coached a sport.

Typical warped belief that when you're older you must be more intelligent than someone younger.

Speed and strength have EVERYTHING to do with if a coach still has it. It is very important for a coach to grasp now that a 265 LB can run a 4.4 40yd and the playing field is well balanced. In Gibbs days, the superior team meant that you could run even when they knew it was coming, those days are over. Gibbs lacks creativity and will never make it in this era.

Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells both showed in the last decade, that they immediately grasped the concept of how todays game is played. I understand losses will happen, but JG has not showed the basic understanding of how to run an offense in this era and therefore JOE MUST GO!!..G.Williams should get a 2nd chance at HC and I think he will be the next Marvin Lewis, maybe he wont be a legend like JG but his time is now

You realize you said, "don't blame the players," and "who is Robert Royal" in the same paragraph? :doh: Kind of underminds the whole rant my man.

*Sigh* Yet another "Play Station Commando." Consider yourself re-ridiculed.

Another Skin fan that "knows all". I think the valid point he was making was: "why the heck was RR on the field". You actually have to use your brain on that tho..

The main focus of the original post was very simple. Joe Gibbs and his ultra conservative play calling, and lack of creativity on offense. I don't care about what happened in the 80's. Yes I'm 22 and don't remember the fun bunch as clear as some, but when will you people realize that the past means nothing in today's NFL. WHAT JOE GIBBS DID IN THE 80's MEANS NOTHING TODAY. The only thing it gets him is respect. Respect will only go as long as your record. We are 5-6, and have been very inconsistent. Get off of your knees people. If other teams and coaches feared Gibbs and his ability to put points up, why is it that week in and week out we struggle? WAKE UP PEOPLE, today's NFL is bigger, faster, and smarter than ever before. Ask Parcells and Vermeil, they seem to have grasped it well. When you look at the records, what has Gibbs done that Spurrier hasn't in his return? Yeah we are more respected, but respect doesn't get you in the playoffs. WINS DO. WAKE UP!....but I guess it's ok as long as we fight our guts out.

I see what you are saying, but on the touchdown scoring drive, the refs basically moved the ball down the field for the Chargers.

1-10-SD33 (4:36) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass to E.Parker pushed ob at WAS 45 for 22 yards (W.Harris). Penalty on WAS-W.Harris, Illegal Contact, declined.

1-10-WAS45 (4:31) L.Tomlinson right guard to WAS 47 for -2 yards (M.Washington).

PENALTY on WAS-C.Clemons, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 45 - No Play. (bullcrap)

1-5-WAS40 (4:21) L.Tomlinson to WAS 37 for 3 yards (S.Springs). (should have been 2nd and 12)

2-2-WAS37 (3:44) D.Brees pass incomplete to E.Parker.

PENALTY on WAS-C.Rogers, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 37 - No Play. (should have been 3rd and 9, incomplete pass, 4th and 9, instead a penalty-driven drive gets new life).

1-10-WAS32 (3:37) L.Tomlinson left end for 32 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

N.Kaeding extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Binn, Holder-M.Scifres.

Can't really defend the 32 yard run by LT2 except that it should have never happened. The refs were itching to call penalties against us.

Illegal Contact, 5 yards is an automatic 1st down...Even if its 3rd and 20 or 3rd and 1.

As much as I love Joe Gibbs, he needs to realize that max protection just doesn't work in today's NFL. Until then, we'll have more Sundays of frustration. But, eventually, he'll adjust. I just hope it's sooner rather than later. I must admit, though, that the "meeting" between Danny and Coach worries me. At what point does Snyder get antsy and make a decision that could set this franchise back yet another 50 years?

Sorry but I am sick of Coach gibbs saying we fought hard and lost it together......I think Coach Gibbs play calling has been terrible in the second half of the last couple games due to his "play not to lose" mentality......You need to take chances and Gibbs has not learned that from today's NFL...you need to take a chance and pass, even if your in a situation that you want to run time off the clock.......We cannot leave it in the hand's of our defense, it hasn't been good enough this year to do that.....

Yes some player have not executed well, but the play calling is still too conservative...now we are in a situation we have to take chance, I am very curious about the Rams game now.......I am a skins fan through and through, but lets call a spade a spade

Two weeks ago, with the running game clicking, he elects to throw bombs down the sideline to a receiver making his first start. Last week, with the passing game on track and the running game averaging less than 3 yards a carry, he runs the ball into the line time and time again. It seems like Gibbs reacts to the previous week's criticism and plays accordingly...he has no feel for what is working in a particular week and sticking with it. And while I'm complaining, whatever happened to the brilliant halftime adjustments he was known for his first time around? It seems like we come out flat every week in the second half.

Typical warped belief that when you're older you must be more intelligent than someone younger.

Speed and strength have EVERYTHING to do with if a coach still has it. It is very important for a coach to grasp now that a 265 LB can run a 4.4 40yd and the playing field is well balanced. In Gibbs days, the superior team meant that you could run even when they knew it was coming, those days are over. Gibbs lacks creativity and will never make it in this era.

Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells both showed in the last decade, that they immediately grasped the concept of how todays game is played. I understand losses will happen, but JG has not showed the basic understanding of how to run an offense in this era and therefore JOE MUST GO!!..G.Williams should get a 2nd chance at HC and I think he will be the next Marvin Lewis, maybe he wont be a legend like JG but his time is now

There are plenty of young people who are more intelligent than people older than they are. Unfortunately, it seems you are not one of them. Players change, but the things that make a great coach do not.

First and foremost a coach needs to have a strong intellect and knowledge of the game. No one in his right mind would argue that Joe doesn't have these attributes.

Second, a coach has to be great with people and have great managerial/organizational skills. Do you think a guy who has won four NFC championships, three Super Bowls, and led two different racing teams to three NASCAR Cup titles is not a good manager or great with people?

Third, a great coach surrounds himself with great people and lets them do their job. Joe has assembled one of the best coaching staffs in the game. Joe gives them all the credit for success and takes all of the blame for failure. That is another sign of a great manager.

Lastly, a great coach adapts. If you understood how strongly Joe hated the shotgun in his first tenure, which you are too young to know, you would know that Joe has adapted in several areas.

Forget about 1-2-3-4...a good coach finds ways to win and do it consistently. And I'm not talking about the 80's and early 90's. We are in the year 2005, it is a new time and a new day. The same coaching strategies used in the 80's don't work anymore. We have a salary cap with million dollar players and million dollar egos. I'm happy that thinking about the glory days can make you feel good, but this team is 5-6. Please awaken from your deep sleep. Your dream is over.

I know I'll get blasted as a homer but I really notice the difference between how much more things make sense after listening to Gibbs talk about the game and answer the presses' questions on most Mondays compared to what most of us speculate, claim, or offer up as expert analysis here during and after the game :D .

That comment allows for a few exceptions, as there is some truly good analysis, pros and cons, on this site.

Two disclaimers: 1. Obviously, I'm not implying (and neither does he) that there aren't things each week that are mistakes by players and coaches, just that our (as fans) take on things, generally and obviously, is just so much more limited. 2. I am respectfully burnt-out on Joe's 2005 cliche' bag, and you guys know which phrases I mean, even though I agree with their spirit. I just wish he'd pick some different ways to say them or just leave them out sometimes.

Man, I LOVE winning, but there's still not even one little thing I'm sorry about for having Gibbs here now, or for still liking almost all the players we have, though I see some going away to make the team better.

I actually was thinking the VERY SAME thing after hearing his press conference yesterday. I was so down Sunday evening, then hearing Joe yesterday confirms it: I'd not rather have ANY other coach but him right now. There still are missing pieces (Two NASTY DEs, a decent punter, another OLineman, another WR, reliable return man), but the rest has been built and crafted to play (Win or Lose) as a team. No way JJG has fully acclimated himself to today's NFL yet, there are still things he needs to work on (No huddle, Quick Counts, etc..) for next year. But I believe, that although even I am dispappointed in their lack of continuity and in Joe Gibbs' play calls, the tools are being set and tuned for success. He NEVER calls out a player publicly, and maintains the respect for his players, the fans and the owner. What else could we ask for besides more Ws? Yes. Playcalls need to come up to speed, but players need to as well. They MUST play EVERY game like it's their last, and never take a play off. Once that attitude pours over the majority of the players, success is inevitable. And YES, I want to WIN NOW as well. I'm impatient as the next fan, espeically after seeing the jokes and butts of jokes about this team and organization the last 12 years.

Injuries really do affect things when the talent pool isn't deep. And in todays NFL, with salary cap issues, the talent pool isn't too deep on ANY team! Those teams that have minimal injuries seem to do well. And injuries can happen at any time. We sorely missed Sellers and Betts this past Sunday.

But I'd never call for JGibbs to leave. Are people kidding me? We have some young talent, and need to load up with more next year. If after year #3 the 'Skins don't improve then perhaps Joe will need to evaluate himself as to what he still lacks as far as the New NFL focus...but I suspect it WILL NEVER come to that!

Go Redskins

Archived