Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading Portis for a top five draft pick

WVSkinsfan

I like Portis but I would trade him in a heartbeat if we could end up picking somewhere in the top five draft picks.We could get the pass rusher that we have always needed or a CB to take Walt Harris position. I would consider trading LA but I don't think we could get a top five draft pick bytrading him.

Anyway I look at it I think it would help us if we could pull off such a deal to one of the top 3 or 5 teams with the worst record in the league.

If you did'nt want to trade Potis then who would you be willing to trade to try and get a top 5 pick??

Its only a question and I just want to know your comments b/c I think the team we have now Gibbs can't win with them b/c they an't good enough.

Portis SHOULD be a top 5 back in the league but they simply don't know how to/refuse to do what it takes to fully utilize him. It's quite a shame actually.

Tank,thats what has me puzzeled with Portis when he played for Denver he was the BEST RB in the league.When he came he has good games but it just is'nt the same Portis.Maybe its the offensive line I don't know,I just know that he looks like he is'nt very comfortable at all in the Skins system.Maybe it would be better if he was traded to another team so he could get back to his old self.If I knew we could get lucky and get a top five pick then I would do it.

I'll keep Portis over someone who is unproven

Thats the main problem withthe Skins organzation!! They never want to rebuild or give young players a chance to develope into a good starter for the Skins.We always have to go out and try and get the best player out there and when we do they come here and don't live up to exspectations.I would like to see the front office start doing like the steelers done,Dallas is doing,exspecially the Bengals.

Sure we will go threw some hard times but I garrentee it would help our team in the future to become one of the best teams in football.

There is just no way any of the teams with top five draft picks would give that up for CP. You would lucky to get any first round for him. About the only thing we've got thats worth a first round pick is Santana Moss.....and thats just not going to happen. I think you can forget about the draft, free agency is where we will be active. We wont have a first round pick this year.

Portis will end up with over 1300 yards (again) and around 6-8 TDs (maybe more?).

This with questionable playcalling and an offensive line whose strength doesn't seem to be run blocking.

You honestly think an unproven back would do better?

To be honest w/ you? Yes. I love portis, but like I said, they don't seem to be willing to cater their schemes to properly utilize him. They're trying to cram a square peg into a round hole. He's a great back, just being completely misused.

Plus, RBs are pretty easy to find. They've become the disposable position in the NFL. Draft them, run them and when they're approaching 30 let them go and start over.

Either way, Portis isn't going anywhere. I just wish Gibbs would work his schemes around portis instead of working portis around his schemes. He's a special back who can do special things, just not the way they're doing things now. :(

free agency,is killing this team,I bet they hav'nt been a hand ful of players that we got in free agency really help us maybe 2-3.The only thing that im trying to say is that I don't want to see our draft picks traded EVERY YEAR for a player that can't help us and thats happened alot since Syder bought this team.

I would have like to have seen how we would have done in the past 5 years or so if we would have keep our draft picks and let those players played and developed into quality starters for us.I say would would have been a better team right now if they would have done that b/c free agency does'nt help a team every time and it sure has'nt helped us at all.We have only made the playoffs one time since Snyder bought this team and started buying every player he could get.

All im saying is we need a change!!!!!!

I think the line has a lot to do with why Portis hasn't been able to break the huge ones, however he is consistant just as long as they feed him the ball. I don't think he needed to put on the extra weight however, he doesn't explode the same way as he used to but with our schemes I guess he doesn't have to do that.

I would not trade Portis because he has become a leader for this team, and he recruited Sean Taylor to our team during the draft. He blocks with pure aggressiveness and has his heart in the game 100%. I think we should learn from our mistake of letting Antonio Pierce go. You don't realize how valuable a player is until that player is playing against you on another team and ripping you a new one.

Anybody remember Trung Candidate? I'll take Portis over him ANY day of the week, month, year, hell forever! Backs may be easy to find, however not ones like Clinton Portis, Ladanian Tomlinson, etc.

free agency,is killing this team,I bet they hav'nt been a hand ful of players that we got in free agency really help us maybe 2-3.The only thing that im trying to say is that I don't want to see our draft picks traded EVERY YEAR for a player that can't help us and thats happened alot since Syder bought this team.

I would have like to have seen how we would have done in the past 5 years or so if we would have keep our draft picks and let those players played and developed into quality starters for us.I say would would have been a better team right now if they would have done that b/c free agency does'nt help a team every time and it sure has'nt helped us at all.We have only made the playoffs one time since Snyder bought this team and started buying every player he could get.

All im saying is we need a change!!!!!!

Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, Cornelius Griffin, Randy Thomas, Ryan Clark, Lemar Marshal, Joe Salave'a

all were acquired through FA.

Overall, this team has made some serious blunders in the Snyder era. The change your talking about was bringing Gibbs back.

I like Portis but I would trade him in a heartbeat if we could end up picking somewhere in the top five draft picks.We could get the pass rusher that we have always needed or a CB to take Walt Harris position. I would consider trading LA but I don't think we could get a top five draft pick bytrading him.

Anyway I look at it I think it would help us if we could pull off such a deal to one of the top 3 or 5 teams with the worst record in the league.

If you did'nt want to trade Potis then who would you be willing to trade to try and get a top 5 pick??

Its only a question and I just want to know your comments b/c I think the team we have now Gibbs can't win with them b/c they an't good enough.

I mentioned something similar to this last week and got a backlash for it. Seriously I don't think we will trade Portis

1 Shaun Alexander SEA 1339 263 5.1 20 88

2 Tiki Barber NYG 1118 222 5.0 6 59

3 Edgerrin James IND 1116 247 4.5 11 33

4 Warrick Dunn ATL 1094 212 5.2 3 65

5 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 1086 236 4.6 17 62

6 Rudi Johnson CIN 968 234 4.1 7 28

7 Larry Johnson KC 968 191 5.1 9 46

8 Willis McGahee BUF 948 236 4.0 4 27

9 Clinton Portis WAS 943 222 4.2 5 41

There are 20+ other teams that wish they had a back like Portis.. A top 10 RB makes it nice for the receiving game. I wish he'd get more TD's but to dog his running is just Stupid!

No one else would give up a high enough draft pick for him. His stock value has dropped this season. He needs a compliment fullback to be a "great runner". He has a good rushing average, he just cannot run the ball for positive yardage when it is needed most, in the fourth quarter. He seems to let pressure get to him late in the game. An Alstot type fullback would make a great tandem in the backfield. Those third and short plays have killed us in the fourth quarter this year.

I said from the beginning that you never over compensate for a RB. Portis is good no doubt, but he's more suited for zone blocking. I think this offense has implemented a lot of zone blocking running plays to suit Portis. The thing is, the offense doesn't seem as physical doing it. especially out of those 3 WR sets. Most of Broncos success running the ball comes out of conventional sets and sometimes they have 2 tight ends in the game. Portis isn't a down hill runner. He likes to pick his holes in those zone blocking schemes. Its not something the Skins have done a lot of and thats one of the reasons they can't close out games in the 4th quarter. I mean take Terry Allen. He's not as fast as Portis but he moved the chains and was physical. He wasn't big but he was always going forward and he hit the hole hard.

Two backs went in the top five last year and I would give the Redskins a top five pick for a proven stud anyday. Draft picks are extremely overrated as the chances for a first round bust are high. Why would we do that trade? It would be very stupid to accelerate his cap hit and then have to pay a top five unproven player as much money as we gave Clinton. This is a risk that only a dumb ass would take!

Archived