Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell: The Gibbs-Made QB

RamsTheMan

minicamp-campbell.jpg

However, Jason needs a few things to be effective. And these things are as follows:

• Lack of Turnovers from TeamMates
  • Protection from the Offensive Line
  • A Complementery Reciever to Santana Moss
  • A Good Solid Running Game

With these things in place, our young QB will suceed in 2006 and beyond. If you don't want to jump on the Jason Campbell bandwagon, you don't have to. But by the end of 2006, trust me, I'll be throwing people off.

~HTTR :logo:

Are you kidding me? You could throw just about any 1st or 2nd string QB in the NFL in there with those "few things" and they would be effective. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

This means absolutely nothing, but the times I went out to training camp this past summer, Jason Campbell looked head and shoulders better than either Brunell or Ramsey.

He had better pocket presence and the strongest arm. Also the personell were being mixed so all three qbs were working alternatively with the 1st-3rd units and against the 1st-3rd defenses.

After watching him in camp, I obviously don't know how he'll ultimately be as a pro qb, but there was little doubt that he belonged out there and that the Skins had indeed been justified in selecting him with the 25th pick.

I do believe that Brunell will get another season as the QB for Gibbs, but JC might get his shot next year. 2007 is more likely though. Historically, Gibbs likes to "prep" his QBs for 2 seasons before getting them on the field.

Jay Schroeder-drafted 1984 and played midway through 85 due to Joey T's injury. If not for the leg break, Schroeder would have been kept on the bench until 86.

Mark Rypien-drafted 1986 and played in 1988.

Stan Humphries-drafted 1988 and played in 1990.

i could be successful with those tools, just because my name isnt heath shuler. campbells got arm strength to go along with the speed and ellusivness (sp?). i think mentally he'll be great as well, i think gibbs saw that in him. i think he will work hard and hes got some good physical tools. his arm is strong but not quite as strong as ramsey, hes faster than ramsey, and footworks better so eli is future, the physical tool comparison of ramsey and campbell doenst seem to me to show that ramsey is better either.

bobzmuda just pwned AJ Skins

Nice job :)

AJ's post was one of the most distorted displays of argument I've seen on this topic. But bob was comparatively kind out of understandable empathy for a still-personally-popular Ramsey. bob could've been even more devastating without that influence.

Second this “seeing a cloud float” thing is really very pretty and dramatic, but I didn’t see any of that in the pre-season where Jason looked thoroughly mediocre against 3rd stringers. This strikes me as wishful thinking not actual player commentary and review.

Actually, I did see pretty good touch on his passes, which Ramsey doesn't remotly have right now. Ramsey is a fastball pitcher, and only just started to learn some touch during the offseason. It obviously wasn't perfected yet in the preseason when the threw a bunch of ints.

As for Campbell's draft position, he was likely going to be off the board very early in the second round (probably to Cleveland), so to say we picked him too high (especially since no one predicted that Rodgers would drop so far) is kinda silly.

Will he be good here? Who knows? One thing I do know is that he seems to fit in with what Gibbs does, which probably makes him the right guy.

Jason

Just more on Jason Campbell's draft position

Peter Queen:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-24860.html

Next I watched Campbell. My first question was: Where's this guy been hiding? The simple answer: Behind Brown and a very big Cadillac. Campbell is 6-4 3/4 and 230 pounds. His pass-drop is quick and textbook perfect. He sets up well in the pocket, bouncing athletically until he finds his receivers. He never flinches against a pass rush, moving deftly this way or that to avoid traffic. He throws on the run better than Rodgers or Campbell. On one throw against Kentucky last fall, he rolled out from his 46 to his right, then flicked a sideline throw 19 yards downfield for an in-stride completion. That's the kind of throw he'll be asked to make 100 times a year in the NFL.

I had to look up Campbell's numbers, because I'd been so focused on the two big names that I hadn't focused on the lesser-lights at quarterback. He was 31-8 as an Auburn starter. He shattered the school's completion percentage by three points, completing 64.6 percent of his throws. Why was he not considered a peer of the two top prospects?

I heard two things when I asked around on Friday. One: he scored a very pedestrian 14 on his Wonderlic test last year, then got it up to 28 this year. Teams are suspicious that he studied for his Wonderlic and the 14 is closer to what his true score is. Two: If he was so good, why didn't the Auburn offensive staff design the games around him instead of the great backs?

My rejoinders: In the case of the Wonderlic, wouldn't you want your quarterback to work to get better where he's deficient? I would. And look how the kid adjusted to four different offensive coordinators in his Auburn career. He obviously was able to digest a lot of X's and O's pretty well. In regard to play-calling, let's remember two things: First, SEC coaches voted Campbell the 2004 offensive player of the year. And he averaged 21 pass attempts a game. This isn't Bob Griese with Kiick, Csonka and Morris, folks. This is a guy who controlled a high-octane offense and was the ringleader.

Pastabelly:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-25091.html

The dish: One of the fastest rising players at any position. Teams hoping he will fall to them in the second round might want to re-think that approach. Just a hunch, but we're guessing that some resourceful team in need of a quarterback for the future will deal up into the bottom of the first round to snatch him.

(Course, we know he had a scoop that the Skins were going to pick him, but even without that, he had Campbell rated as #2, ahead of Rodgers.)

Jason

Guest GibbSkins11
The thing that impresses me most about Jason Campbell is his footwork. When he had pressure he had the footwork to evade it, when he was dropping back, he never hurried himself. That is something you wont see in either Ramsey (jitter step) or Brunell (43 step drops).

i agree with everything u said until the brunell part , w/out brunell the skins would be 2-8 period

redskin.jpg

AJ's post was one of the most distorted displays of argument I've seen on this topic. But bob was comparatively kind out of understandable empathy for a still-personally-popular Ramsey. bob could've been even more devastating without that influence.

You people live in a fantasy world. It's no wonder the Redskins can get by with mediocrity or worse year after year. You'd buy a steaming pile of crap if it had a Redskins logo on it.

those really dont matter to tell you the truth, they just give you an area of where he runs at.

For example

Culepper might run a 4.6 but game speed might be 4.55

Donavon might run and 4.64 but actually is faster than culpepper in game speed which his might be 4.49

Jason Campbell might run a 4.69 but game speed is actually 4.54

Micheal Vick might run a 4.28 or 4.3 but his game speed might be 4.18 or 4.2

Good post, well done!

I remember watching footage of Campbell at Aurburn around draft time and he definitely seems to have the tools to be a really good QB in this league. The apptitude, arm, movement..not necessarily scrambling but move enough in the pocket or on a roll out etc. to extend a play. an array of passes, Deep ball, fade, touch etc. He can make them... I truly hope he can be a great Redskins QB for years to come.

No position is more affected by coaching than the QB. I wasn't as impressed with him in college as you were. And he has done nothing so far, he has got to earn it.

But if Joe Gibbs can coach Jay Schroeder & Mark Rypien to probowls & NFC championships, then Jason Campbell is certainly a dream prospect compared to those guys. I am intrugued by the prospect of Gibbs having a first round talent in his prime that he has groomed. I mean can you imagine what Gibbs would have done with Joe Theismann or Doug Williams if he had gotten a hold of them in their prime and groomed them from the start, or for their entire careers?? Can you say - Joe Montana Who?

You people live in a fantasy world. It's no wonder the Redskins can get by with mediocrity or worse year after year. You'd buy a steaming pile of crap if it had a Redskins logo on it.

:laugh: A stunning display. I'm sorry you had to find out this way that me and my people (it's been a long, hard, struggle for us) are the reason for the 'skins mediocrity. I guess we're just balancing The Cosmic Scale from when me and my peope were also apparently the reason for our three Lombardi's. :)

So hang in there, dude. Be grateful you don't buy crap anymore and have moved into sales :D . While I have to say that even on a bad day, it feels great not to be you, I really do hope it gets better for ya. I (and my people) want so much it hutrs to be in the play-offs again someday soon, and maybe if that happens, then you'll get to enjoy your team. :cheers:

No position is more affected by coaching than the QB. I wasn't as impressed with him in college as you were. And he has done nothing so far, he has got to earn it.

But if Joe Gibbs can coach Jay Schroeder & Mark Rypien to probowls & NFC championships, then Jason Campbell is certainly a dream prospect compared to those guys. I am intrugued by the prospect of Gibbs having a first round talent in his prime that he has groomed. I mean can you imagine what Gibbs would have done with Joe Theismann or Doug Williams if he had gotten a hold of them in their prime and groomed them from the start, or for their entire careers?? Can you say - Joe Montana Who?

Not only that but Joe Gibbs gave up a lot for Jason Campbell and seemingly was more then happy to do so. He clearly saw something in this kid that he liked. I think a few years from now we'll have a real solid young starter.

this post is great and again im hoping just like every other skin fan that this guy does great things and takes us to great places BUT...

many times whats done in college means absolutely nothing in the nfl

take that one guy from new england=sixth round in the draft...he almost went undrafted and ends up being a future hall of famer and probably anybody's first choice if you could build your own team

i know thats just one player but we all know there are countless players like that around the league like our own sellers and probably half the patriots team last year but the point is with qb's you can pretty much throw everything out because you will have your tim couch/jeff blake/ryan leaf's and then you will have your tom bradys and even big college names that do pan out and do extroardinary things so id say any qb including campbell will be a myster until we see what he can actually do with the first string against a first string

hopefully campbell becomes exactly what we are all hoping for

Nice opinions of Campbell. But Ryan Leaf had HIS fans too. The year they drafted Leaf, San Diego fans were everywhere, telling everyone, that this guy was accurate, had a cannon for an arm, was the leader they needed, that he was going to take them to the Superbowl.

Matter of fact, I seem to remember most of you fans telling everybody that Heath Shuler was going to do the same things. And then Ramsey was the hot, new, item in town.

Why don't you just COOL IT, talking about how great Campbell is BEFORE he even sets foot on the playground. How bout just waiting to see if he can even win a starting job before you put him into the H.O.F.

Guest GibbSkins11
Tom Brady....5th round QB in the draft...3 outta 4 superbowls...

yeah but brady throws so many dump off paases and the fact if his team is down by more than 7 he cant lead them back , botttom line without vinatieri

pats never win any of their super bowls

It's funny. Sometimes I think you people would rather win an argument against me than see the team win.

It's funny your statement assumes you have the answer.

You linked to one mock draft done immediately before the actual event, which merely reflected the by-then-well-known-fact that the Redskins were moving up to take him.

I linked to different articles talking about how it would not be surprising if Campbell was a late first-rounder. Others have addressed the draft ranking issue with different articles. It was not altogether surprising that Campbell was taken at the end of the first round.

But it is often an honor given to players who surprise people and outperform what they were previously thought capable of. Campbell was like Trent Dilfer with the Ravens. A guy nobody thought was very good who stepped up and did a good enough job for his team to win the championship.

"But it is often an honor given to players who surprise people and outperform what they were previously thought capable of."

Can you give any historical examples of the SEC using the award in this manner or is this just baseless speculation? You would think the Offensive Player of the Year would be given to the best offensive player of the year, for which it is named, and not the comeback player of the year, for which it would best suit your argument.

"Sneaking suspicions"? I don't even know what that means. What I do know is that he scored in the teens, which is incredibly low. I think it was 18, which is below the NFL average for all players, not just QBs, who everyone agrees should be among the smartest players on the field.

He scored a 28 on the wonderlic at the combine for which he probably prepared. He scored a 14 on one administration of the wonderlic before the combine. I'm puzzled why so many folks place so much emphasis on what amounted to a practice administration over the actual administration.

I don't know why he scored a 14, but I'd guess he got caught up in the game of the exam, trying to answer the questions in numerical order, regardless of difficulty. Since the questions are all worth the same amount of points and is in a tightly timed format, the wonderlic rewards those who skip the harder questions and answer the easier questions. I'd hazard a guess that Campbell was able to double his score simply from learning this one piece of test-taking strategy and that most other solid scorers do the same.

The link you posted only shows the connection between wonderlic scores and where players are drafted and how they're paid, not how they perform. You're using a lot of flimsy supporting evidence.

=\ You're wrong.

SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS

Attempts to model passing performance using player and team characteristics revealed statistically significant relationships between a quarterback’s collegiate passing performance and his race and teammates. Intelligence' date=' as measured by the Wonderlic score, was statistically insignificant.[/b']

In other words Wonderlic score has no statiscally significant relationship with passing performance.

He hasn't been able to make the team better because they've kept doing everything they can to give the job to someone else. The one thing he can't do is name himself the starter and put himself on the field, which is what an opportunity consists of.

By your definition, he's been given that opportunity (named starter) several times. He's been pulled just as many times. I feel comfortable speculating that he wasn't pulled for outstanding peformance. In any event, he's started 24 games in the NFL. He's been given SEVERAL opportunities, but not every opportunity. I'd agree that the change in systems has not helped him at all and that he's shown as much potential as David Carr and Joey Harrington, but that's not saying much at this point in his career.

You can't argue with a straight face that Ramsey hasn't been given a single opportunity.

By your definition, he's been given that opportunity (named starter) several times. He's been pulled just as many times. I feel comfortable speculating that he wasn't pulled for outstanding peformance. In any event, he's started 24 games in the NFL. He's been given SEVERAL opportunities, but not every opportunity. I'd agree that the change in systems has not helped him at all and that he's shown as much potential as David Carr and Joey Harrington, but that's not saying much at this point in his career.

You can't argue with a straight face that Ramsey hasn't been given a single opportunity.

I'm just going to repost what I said earlier:

My nightmare is that we get rid of Ramsey, Brunell retires, and Campbell stinks while Ramsey succeeds somewhere else.

You can sit here and make all the over-the-top assumptions about Campbell you want, but you know and I know no one has any idea whether he'll ever amount to anything. If we get rid of Ramsey without really making a go of it with him, and the above scenario happens, what are you going to say then? Are you going be to proud you were part of the mindless chorus that helped make it happen?

I'm just going to repost what I said earlier:

My nightmare is that we get rid of Ramsey, Brunell retires, and Campbell stinks while Ramsey succeeds somewhere else.

You can sit here and make all the over-the-top assumptions about Campbell you want, but you know and I know no one has any idea whether he'll ever amount to anything.

I'm not the one making over-the-top assumptions.

If we get rid of Ramsey without really making a go of it with him, and the above scenario happens, what are you going to say then?

I would be happy for Ramsey on turning around his career. The way it's gone so far, he hasn't been able to make the most of the opportunities that have been given to him. Perhaps he'd do better in a different system with a different coach, but that doesn't mean he'd have had the same success in DC.

Are you going be to proud you were part of the mindless chorus that helped make it happen?

Last time I checked, Redskin fans don't have any input into personnel decisions. That responsibility falls on Ramsey himself, for his own play, and the front office.

Archived