Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell: The Gibbs-Made QB

RamsTheMan

minicamp-campbell.jpg

Welcome one, welcome all the the Jason Campbell show. The 1 Round Pick, number 25 to be exact, was selected by the Redskins in the 05 Draft. He's destined to be the future, but there are many question marks swirling around Jason Campbell, and the draft choices given up for him. But there should be no question marks.

Jason isn't starting this year, because he's learning. Many may argue if we keep losing, to throw him out there, but I for one argue against it. I argue against it because Jason is not all there mentally, but he is definitly there physically. There are certain things you get with this Campbell kid that you don't get with Ramsey, and you sure don't get with Brunell.

Jason displayed the ability to learn many different offenses, and quickly, something that many rookies probaly aren't used to, or very adept with. Jason also displayed something that Ramsey was unable to, touch. A Jason Campbell throw is like seeing a cloud float right into the recievers hand. Ramsey is not dissimilar to throwing a rock at a moving object.

Another thing you get with this kid is Movement. Now I can hear people talking now, "Mark can scramble." Newsflash. Mark Brunell is not 20 something anymore. Why do you think he is injured? Jason can not only avoid the rush, but with Donovan Mcnabb like speed, he can get a first down, or throw on the run.

Jason will also display another great quality and that is lack of mistakes. Learning under Gibbs now, he knows ball protection is a factor , and learning this offense from the ground up, he will not force the interception very often, and he will throw the ball away. Alas, he will make mistakes, but less than your average rookie. Can you really expect less from Gibbs? If Campbell throws more than 12 Interceptions in his first year, I'll eat crow.

This is the coach that turned Mark Rypien into a Probowler.

PH2005052800729.jpg

Jason Campbell is the future of the Washington Redskins franchise. He will bring the end to years of futility at this position. His ability to move around, throw deep, throw intermediate, and hit short routes, and also limit mistakes, makes him a prime selection in the first round.

However, Jason needs a few things to be effective. And these things are as follows:

• Lack of Turnovers from TeamMates
  • Protection from the Offensive Line
  • A Complementery Reciever to Santana Moss
  • A Good Solid Running Game

With these things in place, our young QB will suceed in 2006 and beyond. If you don't want to jump on the Jason Campbell bandwagon, you don't have to. But by the end of 2006, trust me, I'll be throwing people off.

~HTTR :logo:

Good post. I like Campbell a lot. I don't buy the "he only succeeded because he had Cadillac and Ronnie in college" argument. He's going to have a stud RB here with us too, it won't be like he's carrying us.

I want Campbell to sit and learn this entire year. I don't want him to take a single snap. If he takes a snap and does something wrong he may start thinking too much...

i also think campbell is goin to be good...but the ideal situation would be to wiat until 2007 to throw him in there when he wouldnt really be a rookie anymore and wouldnt really make those mistakes. he is a gibbs qb and should be smart with the ball as well as mobile which is something we have lacked in a qb for a long time. i think we cna have a lot of success with him so long as the o-line is solid..

THANK YOU!!!!! I was waiting for people to relalize that. You know theres still some goofs on this board that want us to draft a qb on the first day next year? These guys think Gibbs knows NOTHING about quarterbacks( he won 3 sb's with 3 dif ones). Im telling you guys, he will be our franchise qb for many years, and i t was a great pick

Im not a very stronge believer in keeping a Rookie QB on the bench for 2 years, i think 1 year is the max. 2 years i think he starts to uniprove instead of improve. Besides just think if for some ODD and i mean ODD reason he is a bust, our franchise is 2 years from where its suppose to be.

He has all the tools right now

Chris Cooley

Santana Moss

Clinton Portis

Ladell Betts

Mike Sellers

Hall of fame coach, Joe Gibbs whos an offensive head coach

An average o-line that WILL need to get better.

All jason needs to do is work hard an NOT listan to the media and he'll be fine. Theres a uncountable number of busts that have been made cuase of the media, and im sure there were a couple hall of famers too.

Yeah your right, he should start next year, but I have a strong feeling he will not. For some reason, I think Brunell has one more year left in the tank, and Gibbs will start him. I don feel he will make it a competition in camp though, because Campbell may be ready by next year

Yes, I agree brunell has 1 more year left in him too, he may not finish that year, but yes he has 1 more year in him.

Campbell will start week 10-14 2006 or the beggining of 2006

#1) Campbell has McNabb speed? Are you sure about that?

#2) I agree, he should turn out to be a good QB. I am excited to see how he develops. I too, want him to ride pine for the entire season.

All these people that are giving up on our season are quitters in life too I'm sure. We are 5-5. We don't need to quit and put Campbell in. We can still win the division, let alone win a wild card.

I am tired of hearing this stuff about putting Campbell in.

Let him fight and compete for the job NEXT season. Not this season.

But when he does get the job, I will be excited to see how he does.

#1) Campbell has McNabb speed? Are you sure about that?

#2) I agree, he should turn out to be a good QB. I am excited to see how he develops. I too, want him to ride pine for the entire season.

All these people that are giving up on our season are quitters in life too I'm sure. We are 5-5. We don't need to quit and put Campbell in. We can still win the division, let alone win a wild card.

I am tired of hearing this stuff about putting Campbell in.

Let him fight and compete for the job NEXT season. Not this season.

But when he does get the job, I will be excited to see how he does.

I was against the signing of Campbell at first. But after seeing him (what little that may have been) in preseason, I was impressed. I hope that he turns out to be a very good QB for us.

However, Jason needs a few things to be effective. And these things are as follows:

Lack of Turnovers from TeamMates

Protection from the Offensive Line

A Complementery Reciever to Santana Moss

A Good Solid Running Game

With these things in place, our young QB will suceed in 2006 and beyond. If you don't want to jump on the Jason Campbell bandwagon, you don't have to. But by the end of 2006, trust me, I'll be throwing people off.

Funny, to me those are the keys to Brunell being an effective QB as well. It seems to me if we have those four keys, it wouldn't matter who was at QB... so long as it's not Scott Mitchell, Brooks Bollinger, or Heath Shuler.

I just have one question though, well it could be a question or a concern.

Campbell is supposed to be the prototype Gibbs QB. Big, strong, fast, runs the bootleg well. Fits our offense to a tee.

But when Gibbs retires, what if we get a new offensive system that doesn't necessarily tailor to his needs?

It's probably a dumb concern, considering a good-to-great QB can fit any "system" without much trouble but my only real worry(if it even is one)is that Campbell ends up being great under Gibbs but when we get another offensive coordinator/coach that runs a different system Campbell ends up struggling.

But when Gibbs retires, what if we get a new offensive system that doesn't necessarily tailor to his needs?

It's probably a dumb concern, considering a good-to-great QB can fit any "system" without much trouble but my only real worry(if it even is one)is that Campbell ends up being great under Gibbs but when we get another offensive coordinator/coach that runs a different system Campbell ends up struggling.

Campbell is adaptable like a pro chameleon. He adapted well to 4 different offensive coordinators in 4 years at Auburn. That, is an asset with him-he has had that hurdle and successfully proved he can jump it.

And as for those who question if he can run like McNabb, did you see all of the Auburn games last year? And I mean, ALL of them. If you did, you would not be asking that question.

Excellent post, RamsTheMan. I suggest, JCtheMan as your new screen-name :) I for one am very excited that he has such awesome people to learn from, a HOF coach, seasoned QB, quality teammates, & such talents- with his experience, talent & potential there is only one product of this entire recipe: greatness.

HTTR :helmet:

I just have one question though, well it could be a question or a concern.

Campbell is supposed to be the prototype Gibbs QB. Big, strong, fast, runs the bootleg well. Fits our offense to a tee.

No its a very good concern. But the system change isn't what concerns me, it's the issue of timeliness and how Campbell fits into the big picture of this team.

The Gibbs formula for success in the past was take a decent-moderately good QB, coach him well and surround him with great a great system and a great team. Gibbs has never needed a franchise QB, thats why his 3 super bowls came from 3 different QBs. Now that we have sold the farm for Campbell (after selling it for Brunell), what do we do about our defensive line -which is the real reason we are losing games right now? What are the chances of solving this problem in the next 3 years, and just how long will Gibbs be around?

In his desire to stack the quarterback position, Gibbs has obviously overlooked some serious areas of need. I just hope we can find some fixes, and I hope that Gibbs didn't forget the formula that made him great to begin with.

Archived