Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell: The Gibbs-Made QB

RamsTheMan

Jason also displayed something that Ramsey was unable to, touch.

Another thing you get with this kid is Movement.

Jason will also display another great quality and that is lack of mistakes. Learning under Gibbs now, he knows ball protection is a factor , and learning this offense from the ground up, he will not force the interception very often, and he will throw the ball away. Alas, he will make mistakes, but less than your average rookie. Can you really expect less from Gibbs? If Campbell throws more than 12 Interceptions in his first year, I'll eat crow.

However, Jason needs a few things to be effective. And these things are as follows:

• Lack of Turnovers from TeamMates
  • Protection from the Offensive Line
  • A Complementery Reciever to Santana Moss
  • A Good Solid Running Game

With these things in place, our young QB will suceed in 2006 and beyond. If you don't want to jump on the Jason Campbell bandwagon, you don't have to. But by the end of 2006, trust me, I'll be throwing people off.

~HTTR :logo:

Now I wish Jason the best of luck and hope your predictions are correct. With that being said I have to register a few disagreements with your post. I agree he has decent touch and moves relatively well without the ball. He is not comprable to Donovan McNabb as you say. When Mcnabb was younger he was a real threat moving with the ball. Cambell at Auburn was likely to create more time by moving around but not sprint down the field.

The lack of mistakes you claim we will get from him is a very moot point untill he plays. He was unimpressive in the pre-season and like many rookie QBs there is no way to know if they will get it untill they are on the field. It is important to note that it is always Patrick Ramsey soaking up Brunell's wisdom on the sideline and I can not recall a game (on TV) when I saw Cambell as the guy next to Brunell.

As for your keys to success...

Our team not turning the ball over would likely ahave us at 8-1 this year.

Protection from the Offensive line might have put us in the Giants game

A Complementary reciver to Santana Moss would give us a top 5 recieving corps in this league

A good solid running game is already here

These keys to success would have Danny Wuerfull on pace to break Peyton Manning's records.

I hope Cambell turns out to be good but don't blow up a guy who has yet to do anything in pre-season or practice.

HTTR:logo:

Great optimism, but as we all know the game is so much faster than college. This guy may have adapted to 4 different offenses in college, and he certainly has some impressive achievements from Auburn. However, he hasn't been game tested. With that said, good post, and I hope that he does well when his number is called.

HTTR!

i hope everything you say is correct he seems to be the real deal and i think if he can move around in the pocket it can only make cooley and moss even more effective he only needs a more confident o-line and a better second WR

if we are out of playoff contention with a game or two to go i wouldnt mind seeing him get some second-half reps just to get a little experience with the first teamers

im glad brunell is doin so well right now but i hope gibbs goes with his new franchise choice and doesnt start brunell next year if campbell is anywhere near ready....

Campbell is not as fast as McNabb. He's more the speed of Culpepper. He's not going to be a huge running threat but he will buy time and scramble for a first down here and there. But he doesn't have amazing elusiveness or speed.

IMO, Brunell will start the season as our starter next year. But at his age I don't expect him to finish the season. And that's when Campbell will get his chance. He'd have to REALLY wow the coaching staff in the preseason to take over the starting job from game one.

I thought Gibbs was off of his rocker trading our 06' no.1 pick. But after looking at the upcoming draft, they probably didn't see any decent qbs besides Leinnart (USC) and Young (Tx). OUr chances of drafting either of them were slim, none and more none.

I hope this qb pans out. In preseason, he looked good in one game and sucked in another. But that will happen. Look at Carson Palmer. Didn't he sit one complete year before playing?

Guest GibbSkins11

JASON CAMPBELL IS A BEAST

GIBBS KNOWS QBS , GREAT POST , BUT.....

EVEN IF WE KEEP LOSING ANYONE WHO CALLS FOR CAMPBELL HAS NO COMMON SENSE , W/OUT MARK BRUNELL THE SKINS WOULD BE 2-8 , AND BRUNELL HAS AT LEAST ONE MORE YEAR IN HIM , CAMPBELL IS GONNA HAVE TO WAIT B/C BRUNELL EASILY IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR A SKIN HAS HAD SINCE BRAD JOHNSON IN 1999

redskin.jpg

Your knocking of Ramsey to pump Campbell up is just wrong. Physically at least, Ramsey is a much more impressive prospect then Campbell

We will see how Campbell pans out, no one thought of him as a round 1 pick, or even a DAY 1 pick prior to his senior season. He put it together for 1 year and played fairly well, and taking him toward the end of round 1, giving up what you gave, still raised eye brows

We will see

Your knocking of Ramsey to pump Campbell up is just wrong. Physically at least, Ramsey is a much more impressive prospect then Campbell

We will see how Campbell pans out, no one thought of him as a round 1 pick, or even a DAY 1 pick prior to his senior season. He put it together for 1 year and played fairly well, and taking him toward the end of round 1, giving up what you gave, still raised eye brows

We will see

I think they're somehow trying to justify to themselves the fact that the team has screwed up the QB position. Ramsey and Campbell were drafted in roughly the same position in the draft. The differences are that Ramsey was projected by every team as the third best QB in the draft, whereas no one had Campbell rated where we took him. We ended up lucking out on Ramsey sliding to us because nobody above us needed a QB.

He was projected in the first round despite playing on a bad team in college where he did it all himself, while Campbell was projected in the second round after playing on a team that won the national championship. If Campbell had been on the Tulane team Ramsey was on, he would be bagging groceries right now. Then there is the embarassing disparity of their comparative wonderlic scores.

Ramsey was rated as high as he was because he was a unique talent, and was still underrated because he went to an extremely weak football school. He's done nothing since he's been here but take crap. The fact that we've basically kicked him in the teeth and sent him to the bench (and presumably the trade block), while wasting a bunch of cap room and draft picks on the QB position is inexplicable. That's how you get this thread. The word is rationalization.

If you want an object lesson in what's wrong with the Redskins as an organization, and what's wrong with Redskins fans, this is it. We have a very promising QB, we wreck his career and send him packing. Meanwhile, every other team that needs a QB is salivating because the Redskins are about to cut loose another player they don't know how to utilize. I wonder how much any of those teams would give us for Campbell? The answer is jack squat. But the homers just keep waiting for the next year, the next player, the next big move, while we miss the playoffs again, and again and again.

You shouldn't be surprised if the Redskins draft one of Campbell's Auburn WR's in the draft: Courtney Taylor, Devin Aromoshadu, Ben Obamanu, or Anthony Mix. Taylor is smaller, but gets open and made many clutch plays with Campbell. Aromoshadu is tall and fast. Obamanu is tall and not as fash. Mix is a monster receiver at 6'5" 250 and clocked at a 10.6 in the 100 in high school.

The Redskins need bigger receivers and these guys should be available in the middle rounds and already have a comfot level with Campbell.

You shouldn't be surprised if the Redskins draft one of Campbell's Auburn WR's in the draft: Courtney Taylor, Devin Aromoshadu, Ben Obamanu, or Anthony Mix. Taylor is smaller, but gets open and made many clutch plays with Campbell. Aromoshadu is tall and fast. Obamanu is tall and not as fash. Mix is a monster receiver at 6'5" 250 and clocked at a 10.6 in the 100 in high school.

The Redskins need bigger receivers and these guys should be available in the middle rounds and already have a comfot level with Campbell.

Cool. War Eagle, get more Auburn Tigers!

I think they're somehow trying to justify to themselves the fact that the team has screwed up the QB position. Ramsey and Campbell were drafted in roughly the same position in the draft. The differences are that Ramsey was projected by every team as the third best QB in the draft, whereas no one had Campbell rated where we took him. We ended up lucking out on Ramsey sliding to us because nobody above us needed a QB.

You're wrong. Several folks had Campbell being taken around the 25th pick. I provided links for you on one of your earlier Campbell rants.

You can review that thread here: http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1849344#post1849344

He was projected in the first round despite playing on a bad team in college where he did it all himself, while Campbell was projected in the second round after playing on a team that won the national championship. If Campbell had been on the Tulane team Ramsey was on, he would be bagging groceries right now. Then there is the embarassing disparity of their comparative wonderlic scores.

Jason Campbell was not just a caretaker. He was voted by SEC coaches as the SEC Offensive Player of the Year. That's not an honor typically given to caretakers.

Also, it's embarassing you point to the wonderlic as some sort of proxy for performance as there is NO correlation between the wonderlic and QB performance. http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No2/mac-mirabile.asp Until you can come up with your own study showing otherwise, I trust that study more than your sneaking suspicions.

Ramsey was rated as high as he was because he was a unique talent, and was still underrated because he went to an extremely weak football school. He's done nothing since he's been here but take crap. The fact that we've basically kicked him in the teeth and sent him to the bench (and presumably the trade block), while wasting a bunch of cap room and draft picks on the QB position is inexplicable. That's how you get this thread. The word is rationalization.

I agree that Ramsey hasn't been given the best opportunity to succeed. But he has been given an opportunity. An opportunity that he has not seized. If anything, his inability to make this team better makes him appear to be more of a caretaker than a talent that makes everyone else better.

If you want an object lesson in what's wrong with the Redskins as an organization, and what's wrong with Redskins fans, this is it. We have a very promising QB, we wreck his career and send him packing. Meanwhile, every other team that needs a QB is salivating because the Redskins are about to cut loose another player they don't know how to utilize. I wonder how much any of those teams would give us for Campbell? The answer is jack squat.

The question shouldn't be what would another team with another coach with another system with another set of personnel would subjectively give for a Redskins player. The question is, and remains, who is of the most use for the Redskins. I still like Ramsey's potential. While potential is a sexy word when a player is drafted, it becomes a dirty word 4 years into a player's career.

I really hate to be the storm cloud coming to destroy your sunny day but I after reading RamTheMan’s post I couldn’t help but wondering just where the hell he was getting all this info…….

Jason displayed the ability to learn many different offenses, and quickly, something that many rookies probaly aren't used to, or very adept with. Jason also displayed something that Ramsey was unable to, touch. A Jason Campbell throw is like seeing a cloud float right into the recievers hand. Ramsey is not dissimilar to throwing a rock at a moving object.

Two things here jumped out at me. First of which was that the knock on Campbell was that he struggled in every offense he played in at Auburn other then the last one. So then why are we assuming he can learn many different offenses if he only succeeded in one? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Second this “seeing a cloud float” thing is really very pretty and dramatic, but I didn’t see any of that in the pre-season where Jason looked thoroughly mediocre against 3rd stringers. This strikes me as wishful thinking not actual player commentary and review.

If there is one thing that Jason Campbell appears to have that Ramsey lacks, it’s pocket presence. Really if someone could teach Ramsey to move around in the pocket like Tom Brady, which isn’t much but just enough to buy time, I think Ramsey would be a supremely improved player. In that regard I think Jason is ahead of Ramsey already.

Another thing you get with this kid is Movement. Now I can hear people talking now, "Mark can scramble." Newsflash. Mark Brunell is not 20 something anymore. Why do you think he is injured? Jason can not only avoid the rush, but with Donovan Mcnabb like speed, he can get a first down, or throw on the run.

Again where is this stuff coming from? Jason Campbell was never a running QB like McNabb was. Comparing a guy to McNabb says a lot because when it comes to making plays with your feet there is no QB in the league not named Vick that can do it better then McNabb. From what I saw of Jason Campbell in college he is nothing at all like Donovan, not as fast and not as elusive. Is he faster then Ramsey? Yes. Will he be a better scrambling QB then Mark Brunell or Donovan McNabb? I don’t believe he will I don't believe he has ever been that type of QB....but man would I love to be wrong.

Jason will also display another great quality and that is lack of mistakes. Learning under Gibbs now, he knows ball protection is a factor , and learning this offense from the ground up, he will not force the interception very often, and he will throw the ball away. Alas, he will make mistakes, but less than your average rookie. Can you really expect less from Gibbs? If Campbell throws more than 12 Interceptions in his first year, I'll eat crow.
This is nothing more then wishful thinking. Truth is none of us know if he will be smart with the ball or not. What we do know is that if he isn’t he won’t be starting for long. But to claim that he will do this, or won’t do that, at this juncture is premature. The book is far from written on Jason, and not a single one of us knows what is written in the next chapter.

Jason Campbell is the future of the Washington Redskins franchise. He will bring the end to years of futility at this position. His ability to move around, throw deep, throw intermediate, and hit short routes, and also limit mistakes, makes him a prime selection in the first round.

I hope you are right. Every fan of this team has been dreaming of the day the QB position is decided for a good long while.

However, Jason needs a few things to be effective. And these things are as follows:

• Lack of Turnovers from TeamMates
  • Protection from the Offensive Line
  • A Complementery Reciever to Santana Moss
  • A Good Solid Running Game

There is no QB in the league to which your list does not apply.

Personally I'm thrilled with Mark Brunell right now and think we need to be looking at improving the offensive line. If Jason is as good as we think he is he will assume the role of starting QB by earning it. Until that time the team can go far with the weapons it already has in place by improving the blocking. Open holes for Portis and buy time for Mark and this team will light up score boards all season long.

Keep in mind I was a Ramsey fan AJ...but his days as a Skin are numbered. He's a great guy, but he does not have great awareness or pocket presence as people have pointed out. I wasn't bashing him, but constructivly criticising him.

Also, to the poster above, you arent' being a negative force to the thread, you are just being realistic which is fine with me. We can all have our own opinions. :D

However I said with Donovan Mcnabb like speed, and this is true. I thnk DM runs a 4.8? And Culpepper runs a 4.96. They seem much faster during game times, but their speeds are actually much slower in the 40. I believe JC was a 4.7, so he does have speed similar to McNabb. I didnt say he WAS Donovan, but his speed is similar.

Thanks for all the compiments of my post, I didnt expect it to get many responses.

HTTR, RUN THE TABLE! :logo:

It's funny. Sometimes I think you people would rather win an argument against me than see the team win.

You're wrong. Several folks had Campbell being taken around the 25th pick. I provided links for you on one of your earlier Campbell rants.

You can review that thread here: http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1849344#post1849344

You linked to one mock draft done immediately before the actual event, which merely reflected the by-then-well-known-fact that the Redskins were moving up to take him.

Jason Campbell was not just a caretaker. He was voted by SEC coaches as the SEC Offensive Player of the Year. That's not an honor typically given to caretakers.

But it is often an honor given to players who surprise people and outperform what they were previously thought capable of. Campbell was like Trent Dilfer with the Ravens. A guy nobody thought was very good who stepped up and did a good enough job for his team to win the championship.

Also, it's embarassing you point to the wonderlic as some sort of proxy for performance as there is NO correlation between the wonderlic and QB performance. http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No2/mac-mirabile.asp Until you can come up with your own study showing otherwise, I trust that study more than your sneaking suspicions.

"Sneaking suspicions"? I don't even know what that means. What I do know is that he scored in the teens, which is incredibly low. I think it was 18, which is below the NFL average for all players, not just QBs, who everyone agrees should be among the smartest players on the field. The link you posted only shows the connection between wonderlic scores and where players are drafted and how they're paid, not how they perform. You're using a lot of flimsy supporting evidence.

I agree that Ramsey hasn't been given the best opportunity to succeed. But he has been given an opportunity. An opportunity that he has not seized. If anything, his inability to make this team better makes him appear to be more of a caretaker than a talent that makes everyone else better.

He hasn't been able to make the team better because they've kept doing everything they can to give the job to someone else. The one thing he can't do is name himself the starter and put himself on the field, which is what an opportunity consists of.

The question shouldn't be what would another team with another coach with another system with another set of personnel would subjectively give for a Redskins player. The question is, and remains, who is of the most use for the Redskins. I still like Ramsey's potential. While potential is a sexy word when a player is drafted, it becomes a dirty word 4 years into a player's career.

The question is who is the better player. Good teams get good players and put them to use. Bad teams get good players and then waste them, which is what the Redskins have done repeatedly for nearly 15 years now.

Keep in mind I was a Ramsey fan AJ...but his days as a Skin are numbered.

Uh...I know. At the very least, it's a strong possibility. That was my whole point. Deep down, everybody knows we could be headed for serious trouble with the way QB has been handled, but they don't want to think about it so they make up ridiculous fantasies about Campbell to ease their minds.

My nightmare is that we get rid of Ramsey, Brunell retires, and Campbell stinks while Ramsey succeeds somewhere else. It will be right up there with Snyder firing Schottenheimer as disasters that push my ability to continue supporting the team to the brink.

We will see

he played in 4 offensive systems wasnt successfull that much in 3 of them...the system he WAS dan marino in is exactly identical to ours...gibbs knows that.

However I said with Donovan Mcnabb like speed, and this is true. I thnk DM runs a 4.8? And Culpepper runs a 4.96. They seem much faster during game times, but their speeds are actually much slower in the 40. I believe JC was a 4.7, so he does have speed similar to McNabb. I didnt say he WAS Donovan, but his speed is similar.

Actually, all three are almost the same speed.

Culpepper: 4.6

http://www.daunte.ucf.edu/

McNabb: 4.64

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/stat/apr99/qb-mcnabb.asp

Campbell: 4.69

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/campbell_jason#agility

Archived