Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Restaurant recommendations

Spaceman Spiff

For a really good meal, I usually avoid chains, but it all depends on the occasion and intent of the meal.

Cafe Atlantico is one of my favorite restuarants in the city, just down the street from MCI Center. It was opened by the same chef who opened Jaleo, which is great for tapas. In that neighborhood, I'd recommend Rosa Mexicano (the closest you'll get to decent Mexican in DC), Chef Geoff's, and although it's a chain, District Chop House rarely dissapoints. I'm also a big fan of Vidalia, Cieba, Old Ebbitt Grill and Palena.

In Shrlington, Carlyle Grand is good too.

For a really good meal, I usually avoid chains, but it all depends on the occasion and intent of the meal.

Cafe Atlantico is one of my favorite restuarants in the city, just down the street from MCI Center. It was opened by the same chef who opened Jaleo, which is great for tapas. In that neighborhood, I'd recommend Rosa Mexicano (the closest you'll get to decent Mexican in DC), Chef Geoff's, and although it's a chain, District Chop House rarely dissapoints. I'm also a big fan of Vidalia, Cieba, Old Ebbitt Grill and Palena.

In Shrlington, Carlyle Grand is good too.

Rosa Mexicano has pretty yummy guac!

Depends on what kind of food you are looking for.

If you want good Chinese before a Wizards/Caps game at MCI, I really can't recommend "Eat First" enough, in Chinatown, just off the corner of 6th & H on H St. Awesome, authentic Chinese food.

Regardless of what you think of the French, they make damn fine vittles. A really fun place (and great place for a date) is Bistro du Coin on Connecticut Ave, about 2 or 3 block north of DuPont Circle. For the best late night food in DC (and a great restaurant anytime) is Bistro Francis, in Georgetown, on M St., a few doors down form the corner of Wisconsin & M - best Eggs Benedict on earth. Overall, La Chaumiere (alos on M. St) probably has the best French food within the city limits.

If you like Thai food, a great "bang for your buck" (pun intended) place is Bangkok Bistro on Prospect St. They have lots of great dishes and you can get out of there for cheap. The Salmon Perfect is, well, perfect.

Another good restaurant in G-town is Neyla. They have Lebanese food that's so frickin’ good! And on a Friday night, the place is packed with good looking women.

Another good Chinese place is Oriental East in Silver Spring, near the Metro. Really authentic - one of those places where the take-out, American patrons get different menus than the Chinese who dine there. But if you ask for the Chinese menu, look for the pan-fried scallops. Heaven on earth, those things, and I don't usually like scallops.

Kinkades on Pennsylvania Ave between 20th $ 21st has some of the tastiest seafood dishes in town.

Heritage India has the best traditional Indian food that I've had. They have two locations, one on Wisconsin Ave. near Calvert St. and another somewhere in VA I think. There is also IndeBleu, which has a fusion of French & Indian food. Amazing dishes.

So many good restaurants in DC......my favorite food is actually Northwoods in Annapolis....right across the road from the Navy Marine Corps Stadium. I dined there Sunday night after attending the Skins game and it was awesome as usual. I didn't feel like going out after the debacle at FedEx but already had reservations for a special occasion.

Northwoods has a one price special all evenings except Saturday....you pay $32.95 and get any appetizer, salad, choice of entree and dessert. Most entrees run $24-28 alone so it is a very good value. One thing we've learned over the years....they always have specials for appetizers and entrees and almost always they are incredible...the food on the menu is excellent but the specials they come up with are incredible.

If you want tapas go to Jaleo.

If you want seafood go to Kinkead's.

The Old Angler's Inn is very good (but also expensive).

For Vietnamese food I would go to the Four Sisters in Falls Church.

There are also a number of good Korean restaurants in Annandale.

For Ethopian food I would go to one of the restaurants in Adams Morgan (there are a couple in northern Virginia, but they are not as good IMO).

For German food I would go to the Old Europe in DC.

For Italian, try Il Pizzico in Rockville (my Italian coworkers at a former job always went there).

Anything else?

Edit: If you want a large variety of beer go to the Brickskeller in DC. :pint:

If you want tapas go to Jaleo.

If you want seafood go to Kinkead's.

For Vietnamese food I would go to the Four Sisters in Falls Church.

There are also a number of good Korean restaurants in Annandale.

For Ethopian food I would go to one of the restaurants in Adams Morgan (there are a couple in northern Virginia, but they are not as good IMO).

For German food I would go to the Old Europe in DC.

For Italian, try Il Pizzico in Rockville (my Italian coworkers at a former job always went there).

Anything else?

Edit: If you want a large variety of beer go to the Brickskeller in DC. :pint:

Cajun? Still lookin for a good place...

The one thing I love about the DC area is they are so many good restaurants, but like others have said it all depends on what you want.

If you like sushi, check out Kaz Bistro or the new Pauli Motos in Tysons is incredible it is a fusion place created by Moto from the Iron Chef.

If you like tex mex can't go wrong with Rio Grande Cafe, worked there for 10 years so can tell you want to get.

Swee****er is another great place, if you want steak can not go wrong with Ruth Chris or Mortons.

If seafood is your game Rio has a lot of great seafood specials which many are not aware of. Can not go wrong with the Chart House either.

If you want something different try Butterfield 9 one of the finest places I have been to and the menu changes every season.

Harry's Tap Room- Clarendon, VA

***Last time I was there I got the steak (medium rare, of course) with mashed potatoes and vegetables. DELICIOUS.

A little upscale and pricey.

P.F. Changs- Fairfax Corner

***I get the Moo Shi Pork and spring rolls. MMMMMMM

Glory Days- Fox Mill (Herndon) VA

***Man, I love me some Glory Days. My softball team always goes after our doubleheaders...........I like their clam chowder (Fridays) and Macho Nachos without the sour cream

There's this restaurant in the new wing of Tyson's mall called Brio Tuscan Grill that has delicious portabello mushroom ravioli as an appetizer that I ate as an entree a few weeks ago. Portabello mushroom ravioli is my absolute favorite food, and it was fantastic.

AND...I LOVE getting dim sum on saturday and sunday mornings at China Garden in Rosslyn. My friend Alex and I go a couple times a month at least.

That's even beyond recommending. If you want to do something special for the love of your life, the Old Angler's Inn is the place.

a) Go on a romantic hike in Great Falls during a georgous spring day

B) Come back to the Inn for the best 5 course meal you will ever have

c) Retire to the lounge, next to the fire, for after dinner treats

d) Go up to the room and :censored:

You significant other will worship the ground you walk on after that. Especially if you paid for it all!

Archived