Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the best way to sell a car...

halter91

This question is right up my alley.......clean it up really well and like the previous poster said..post a sign in it. If you ask a fair price it will sell rather quickly. Park it in a spot where people park cars for sale...I am sure you've noticed spots around town. School parking lots on the weekends..commuter lots...certain shopping centers...people looking for cars know where these spots are. I have always sold EVERY car this way. And yes....a dealership will let you trade a car for something cheaper but it depends on what you owe on it..what it's worth...your credit history...etc. And if you live in a state that requires a state safety inspection get the inspection done BEFORE you attemt to sell it and indicate that it has already passed inspection on your sign. People are much more likely to make an offer knowing they don't have to lay out cash to get it on the road....

I just sold a vehicle recently, I had it in the newspaper for 3 weeks, not a single phone call, in the Auto Trader for a week, no calls...

Then, I parked the car at a parking lot at a busy intersection, 30 phone calls in 3 days, sold in less than a week.

Good advice....Newspaper ads...Auto Trader...to sell a vehicle have become a VERY ineffective way to sell a car...don't waste your money.

Parking the car on a busy lot is by FAR the best way..people can see what you are selling and then call you if they like it...if they take the trouble to call you after seeing it 9 times out of 10 they WILL buy your car

Depending upon the condition of the vehicle Carmax will buy it from you....I took my mother's conversion van there and got a check the same day...that was a good option....instead of talking to a bunch strangers on the street. Might not get the maximum....but it is a quick sale to a reputable place.

Has anyone sold cars themselves in the + 15,000.00 range. I am thinking about trying to sell my car myself before I buy a new one. Dealerships trade-ins are always less than private sales because of their overhead.

Just wondered if many people bought cars they needed a loan for from private parties.

I just bought a car on Tuesday for my son. I responded to a newspaper ad, but in the process I stopped and looked at many cars that were just parked with for sale signs. It occurred to me that if someone had a vacant lot on a busy street they could charge car sellers $10 a day to park their cars. Word would get around and buyers would go out of their way to check it out. It would be an easy way to turn a vacant lot into a money maker. Teenage kids could man the lots.

Depending upon the condition of the vehicle Carmax will buy it from you....I took my mother's conversion van there and got a check the same day...that was a good option....instead of talking to a bunch strangers on the street. Might not get the maximum....but it is a quick sale to a reputable place.

True, but with such a soft SUV market, you'll have a lot dealers and wholesalers taking shots at you.

Code listed the best method. I'm in the business and I don't trade my

wife's cars in. I sell them myself...sometimes get in the doghouse by

doing so. Guess should inform my wife ahead of time selling her

ride. :rolleyes: :laugh:

True, but with such a soft SUV market, you'll have a lot dealers and wholesalers taking shots at you.

Code listed the best method. I'm in the business and I don't trade my

wife's cars in. I sell them myself...sometimes get in the doghouse by

doing so. Guess should inform my wife ahead of time selling her

ride. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Good advice...

It has been my experience that CarMax will give you a fair number on something they can keep on their lot and sell quickly at retail....i.e...late model year and low mileage....if it's a car that they intend to wholesale they'll really stick you. I bought a Camry XLE V6 @ wholesale and drove it for 17k miles and sold it to CarMax for $600 less than I paid for it.

Has anyone sold cars themselves in the + 15,000.00 range. I am thinking about trying to sell my car myself before I buy a new one. Dealerships trade-ins are always less than private sales because of their overhead.

Just wondered if many people bought cars they needed a loan for from private parties.

Yes, and have also bought vehicles in that range and above. It's easier for people with good credit to walk out of their bank or credit union with a loan these day.

I tried parking my 4Runner around the neighborhood w/ a 4sale sign on it. I got quite a few calls - most of them wanting me to "hold da note" for them. When i explained that I was not looking to finance anyone, most became indignant.

I actually ended up putting my truck in the AutoTrader and it sold for full price w/in 2 weeks to the first guys that came to look at it. I was a little nervous about the private party sale - but I was really impressed w/ the Auto Trader responses. I think the ad cost me about $50 and I was able to post all kinds of pics on the Internet site....worked beautifully.

Here is the link to the thread where I asked the same question:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103245

I actually ended up putting my truck in the AutoTrader and it sold for full price w/in 2 weeks to the first guys that came to look at it.

That's what I do. Be patient, it seems to take 2 weeks before you get a call,

then the first person usually buys it, and then the phone won't stop ringing.

Archived