Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think I've got Redskins fever

ChicagoRedskinsFan

Does anyone else experience physical symptoms when the Redskins lose? As things fell apart for the Redskins on Sunday my stomach was in knots, my heart was racing, and I got sweaty. Then I had a very restless night in bed. I felt like I was in a never-ending bad dream. Whenever I slipped into a feeling of peacefulness, I was soon jarred awake by feelings of dread about what happened in the game. It’s not just that they lost, it’s the manner in which they lost. The Giants game was easier to swallow because we got flat-out beat (no what-if’s or bad calls to contemplate).

I know it’s only a football game and I must be a loser for caring so much but I can’t help it. The Redskins, unfortunately, have an effect on my happiness. Especially with Joe Gibbs at the helm. It makes losing that much more painful.

Can anyone recommend therapy/drugs to make me not care so much? (I’m kidding – but only half kidding) :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. Exercise is the only thing that helps me through a week during which the Redskins lose.

All in all, I'm a more productive citizen when the Redskins lose--I exercise a lot and don't spend all of the workday reading about the win in various forms of media. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have to go completely cold turkey after a Redskins loss. No reading about football until Wednesday at the earliest (Thursday if it was a Monday-night game), no Extremeskins for two days.

I know what you mean. Exercise is the only thing that helps me through a week during which the Redskins lose.

I get in some pretty good workouts after Redskin losses. I am in a pissy mood the rest of Sunday. Last Sunday my depression lasted into Monday Morning. :cry:

Hey ATB, Hey Fuji. The Seattle game crowd rides again. :)

In my case, I hedge my bets by following my Ohio State Buckeyes with the same enthusiasm. It's very rare that both teams lose on the same weekend, so I can usually cheer myself up ... though for most of the past 13.5 seasons the Buckeyes have done more than their share. :(

Still, I'm encouraged by this season. Apart from the Giants loss, this team is headed squarely in the right direction. We play toe-to-toe with everyone. We play tough. The Redskins are no longer a team that simply collapses under pressure, as they often did under Petitbon, Turner and Spurrier.

On that topic, I think Norv is going to get a harsh welcome in DC this week. ;)

:raidersuc

Yup, im the same way. I get SO down when we lose, and so happy when we win. But question to you guys is losing harder on you than winning, in terms of effect? I mean if we win, I'm super happy and stuff, but when we lose I am SO distraught and down, its just the negativity of the loss (at least short-term) outweighs the happiness of a win. There was something on ESPN about this, how losing effects a coach much more than winning ever will, somethin like that. (they had Gibbs and Parcells talk about how devastating losing is)

i always hated it when the SKINS lost especially on the MNF game. it would end after

12am & i have to work the next day & i did not sleep very well & if i had to face any

NYG fans, DALLAS fans or PHILLY fans i really did not want to go.........but when they

would win my week was SWEET. i guess i have my DAD to blame!! he started watching

when they were the only team on tv being from the SOUTH. i remember EDDIE LABARON, SONNY J.BILLY K.LARRY B.SAM H. & THE FUNBUNCH!!. i wish i had been home when VINCE L. coaching just to see him on the sidelines. UNCLE SAM had other

plans so i missed that year!!! this is true a TRUE FAN has that certain "feeling" when

our team comes out on top but when it is a LOSS then it CUTS TO THE BONE!!!

I've been irritable and down since Sunday's loss. I was beginning to feel like I was getting too much into these games, but I realized I can't help myself. Then last night with Philly's loss it made our loss sink in further. I tend to stay away from all the media as well as I try to get over a loss. Anyways good to hear I'm not the only Redskin nut here, lol.

Yes, Sunday night I renounced all sports. After my teams win, it's not that I feel great, I'm just exhausted, and grateful that I have avoided massive disappointment until the next game. But after they lose, I'm totally depressed for at least the rest of the day.

Anyway, I think I'm back to normal, for now. I can't let go of my teams. I just have to try to tell myself not to get so wrapped up in it.

Go Redskins, beat the Raiders. :)

I was irate on Sunday night...couldnt even watch the sunday night game (thankfully it was a game between two teams that have zero factor in the Skins playoff hunt).

Monday during the day wasnt good...but when MNF came on I was better. I think the fact that the Giants lost and we are only 1 game out of first w/back to back home games makes me feel better. Having the Giant/Cowboy games at home is HUGE....now the only road game we have left in the division is vs. the dumpy Eagles....McNabb will be in ICU by then and either Detmer or McMahon will be running a TO-less offense...not too scary.

I try to look at the big picture on the day after the loss.....the losses arent too hard to get over.......yet.

Never fear...We all feel the same here. I not only hardly ever sleep the night prior to a game, but before I lay may head down, I lay out the shirt, shorts, and hat to wear to the pub where I watch the game "live".

Hell, I know guys who puke just before the game. Its as though they were suited up to play. When the Redskins score we bring the house down.

Hail Redskins!

Oh I get knots in my stomach all the time watching this team I would have to be in a coma to not have a physical reaction. Sometimes I wish I was not so obsessed with this team, it kills me. I also get sick when people call me after the game to say they are sorry...leave me alone people I'll talk to you in a few days!!!

Does anyone else experience physical symptoms when the Redskins lose? As things fell apart for the Redskins on Sunday my stomach was in knots, my heart was racing, and I got sweaty. Then I had a very restless night in bed. I felt like I was in a never-ending bad dream. Whenever I slipped into a feeling of peacefulness, I was soon jarred awake by feelings of dread about what happened in the game. It’s not just that they lost, it’s the manner in which they lost. The Giants game was easier to swallow because we got flat-out beat (no what-if’s or bad calls to contemplate).

I know it’s only a football game and I must be a loser for caring so much but I can’t help it. The Redskins, unfortunately, have an effect on my happiness. Especially with Joe Gibbs at the helm. It makes losing that much more painful.

Can anyone recommend therapy/drugs to make me not care so much? (I’m kidding – but only half kidding) :rolleyes:

I know exactly how you feel. I used to think I was the only one who was like this until I came to this site. It's rather comforting to know that there are sick, twisted,dillusional, freaky fans just like me in the world.

After the last 2 games (Philly& TB) I really did feel physically ill afterwards. The feeling was much better after the Philly game since they won. But I had knots, nausia, back pain and uncontollable sweating during and after both games.

It is helpful to see that I am not alone in how I react to the Redskins games and tough losses. I don't know any Redskins fans here so sometimes I feel like I'm in a bubble. It doesn't help that the lame Bears are 6-3 in the easiest division in football.

It seems like there is a trend among us of:

- anxiety before the game

- depression afterward that ruins the rest of the day if not more

- various coping methods to ease the pain (drinking, exercise, watching the 1991 video yearbook)

- brief thoughts of trying to quit cold turkey

- after a couple days the attempt to distance ourselves fails

- we look ahead at the schedule and convince ourselves we can still get 10 wins

- we hope for the best but fear disaster just around the corner

Hail to the Redskins!

Archived