Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is there such a big deal about Bush and VA

jbooma

It's not just a big deal in VA. The Governator refused to be seen with Bush recently (it was on Drudge) and was critical of Bush visiting the state so close to the election. The guy has lost so much support that the media is starting to smell a story, that being he isn't able to help the GOP.

All kidding aside though, Virginia is not one of the "most conservative states", not by a long shot. They lean right, mainly because of the Pentagon, Andrews and the military in the area, but it is starting to change. This country is completely changing before our eyes, and we are witnessing the Bush democrats just like the Reagan republicans.

You are getting ahead of yourself. Before we can have any "Bush democrats" the democrats need to find some national candidates that don't suck. Hopefully a nice southern moderate this time, that doesn't catch like a girl.

(no offense ladies)

Time to move to a new state if you think that Johnny. NOVA has become an educated society with a LOT of northerners moving to that area. We're infultrating your society, and I LOVE IT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:jk:

All kidding aside though, Virginia is not one of the "most conservative states", not by a long shot. They lean right, mainly because of the Pentagon, Andrews and the military in the area, but it is starting to change. This country is completely changing before our eyes, and we are witnessing the Bush democrats just like the Reagan republicans.

I guess that is what happens when northern economies crumble and people realize the glory of life below the Mason Dixon Line!!

Andrews actually isn't in VA, it is MD, and has a fairly insignificant population. The military presence in VA is actually more focused around the VA Beach/Hampton roads area, at least if you consider the Navy military:) !

you think northern virginia is mostly democratic???? Where do you live??? NOVA is mostly republican.... maybe in places like Woodbridge and Dumfries (if you consider those towns northern va) it's democratic, but fairfax county? I strongly disagree.

Naaaa MissU, this place (NOVA) is liberal as hell

The County board is 7-3 Dems

In terms of Congress yeah we have Tom Davis and Frank Wolf, but this place is pretty damn liberal

Which is why you'll see your taxes go up pretty soon

I guess that is what happens when northern economies crumble and people realize the glory of life below the Mason Dixon Line!!

Yea, northern states crumbling HAHAHAHA. Tell that to all of my friends making 6 figures and owning $500K houses at 35 years old. THe reason people leave the states up here is because they retire. Hell, my buddies brother sold two houses for $1.2million, and bought a sports bar in Florida. Not to bad for a HS educated pot smoker.

Andrews actually isn't in VA, it is MD, and has a fairly insignificant population. The military presence in VA is actually more focused around the VA Beach/Hampton roads area, at least if you consider the Navy military:) !

I know where Andrews is, and I also know a LOT of military live in NOVA. You have Andrews, Belvoir and Bolling (But I think that was on the BRAC list, or it was closed earlier). You also have the Pentagon, the largest office building in the nation. All add up to a hell of a lot of conservative folk in the NOVA area, which is why they lean right. If you remove the military, and retired military, NOVA is pretty blue.

Yea, northern states crumbling HAHAHAHA. Tell that to all of my friends making 6 figures and owning $500K houses at 35 years old. THe reason people leave the states up here is because they retire. Hell, my buddies brother sold two houses for $1.2million, and bought a sports bar in Florida. Not to bad for a HS educated pot smoker.

I know where Andrews is, and I also know a LOT of military live in NOVA. You have Andrews, Belvoir and Bolling (But I think that was on the BRAC list, or it was closed earlier). You also have the Pentagon, the largest office building in the nation. All add up to a hell of a lot of conservative folk in the NOVA area, which is why they lean right. If you remove the military, and retired military, NOVA is pretty blue.

Honestly Chom, the Pentagon has a lot of liberal ass people working there as contractors now

Its not your father's Pentagon thats for sure

And it certainly is not your father's Northern Va either

Chom, Warner is probably more conservative then Mitt Romney

Romney is a wind blower, and I have completely soured on him lately. He's been pandering to the religious right, and he has been bad talking the state to southern states, and on top of that, he tried to overturn the gay marriage ban. He has done a few good things for the state, but the majority of his platform that resonated with the righties is non-existant in mass. He was a pro-choice repub until he decided to go national, and he would never carry this state if he runs for re-election, so he will most likely not run next year.

Actually, I'm voulenteering for Tom Reilly tomorrow night, I'm gonna work the phones at his campaign headquarters. I decided to see what the inside of the campaign is like, and he's a good man to start with. I don't know much about his platform yet, but I will. I just want to see what politics is like to know if I ever want to get involved.

Honestly Chom, the Pentagon has a lot of liberal ass people working there as contractors now

Its not your father's Pentagon thats for sure

And it certainly is not your father's Northern Va either

Really? I'm quite suprised. It used to be a pretty conservative area when I lived there. . . I geuss a lot more of us Yankees have moved down there then previously :laugh:

Time to move to a new state if you think that Johnny. NOVA has become an educated society with a LOT of northerners moving to that area. We're infultrating your society, and I LOVE IT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:jk:

All of the sudden you know everything about VA politics? Virginia is a conservative state whether you want to believe it or not. Mark Warner is a fiscal CONSERVATIVE/social moderate and where you live would be considered a right-wing republican. The Virginia House and Senate are dominated by Republicans. Tim Kaine ran on fiscal responsibility and improving roads and pretty much keeping the status quo. The new Lt. Gov and State's Attorney are both Republicans.

Hey, if your neck of the woods is so much better being under the control of left leaning politicians why are people up there moving down here in droves like you've said? We slack jawed southerners must be doing something right huh? Also, I wouldn't laugh too hard. The more people move down here the more you will have to pay in taxes to make up for it and the less influence your state will have in national politics. :silly:

All of the sudden you know everything about VA politics? Virginia is a conservative state whether you want to believe it or not. Mark Warner is a fiscal CONSERVATIVE/social moderate and where you live would be considered a right-wing republican. The Virginia House and Senate are dominated by Republicans. Tim Kaine ran on fiscal responsibility and improving roads and pretty much keeping the status quo. The new Lt. Gov and State's Attorney are both Republicans.

Hey, if your neck of the woods is so much better being under the control of left leaning politicians why are people up there moving down here in droves like you've said? We slack jawed southerners must be doing something right huh? Also, I wouldn't laugh too hard. The more people move down here the more you will have to pay in taxes to make up for it and the less influence your state will have in national politics. :silly:

Johnny, Virginia is not "one of the most conservative states in the union", not by a long shot, that was what you said, and you were wrong. Nothing wrong with not being correct, hell, I make my fair share of mistakes, but I usually admit it if I am wrong. You shouldn't dig your hole any deeper by standing by a ludicrous assertion to begin with.

As for my taxes. . . hell you pay more in taxes then we do, I guess that means we just know how to spend the money better :silly:

Johnny, Virginia is not "one of the most conservative states in the union", not by a long shot, that was what you said, and you were wrong. Nothing wrong with not being correct, hell, I make my fair share of mistakes, but I usually admit it if I am wrong. You shouldn't dig your hole any deeper by standing by a ludicrous assertion to begin with.

As for my taxes. . . hell you pay more in taxes then we do, I guess that means we just know how to spend the money better :silly:

If you have been southwest of Winchester, you would know this place is pretty damn conservative

Its a completely different state an hour drive out of DC

Commonwealth of Virginia

November 8, 2005 General Election

These UNOFFICIAL RESULTS have not been certified and are subject

to change as data is corrected by the local electoral board.

This page will automatically refresh every two minutes.

Results last updated 12:22 AM Wednesday, November 9, 2005.

Office: Governor

Precincts Reporting: 2403 of 2426 (99.05%)

Registered Voters: 4,451,711 Total Voting: 1,953,889 Voter Turnout: 43.89 % Candidates Party Vote Totals Percentage T M Kaine Democratic 1,012,555 51.82% J W Kilgore Republican 897,010 45.91% H R Potts Jr Independent 42,551 2.18% Write Ins 1,773 0.09% View Results by District Locality Total: 1,953,889

Office: Lieutenant Governor

Precincts Reporting: 2402 of 2426 (99.01%)

Registered Voters: 4,451,711 Total Voting: 1,915,508 Voter Turnout: 43.03 % Candidates Party Vote Totals Percentage W T Bolling Republican 967,732 50.52% L L Byrne Democratic 944,135 49.29% Write Ins 3,641 0.19% View Results by District Locality Total: 1,915,508

Office: Attorney General

Precincts Reporting: 2403 of 2426 (99.05%)

Registered Voters: 4,451,711 Total Voting: 1,913,950 Voter Turnout: 42.99 % Candidates Party Vote Totals Percentage R C Deeds Democratic 956,883 50.00% R F McDonnell Republican 955,448 49.92% Write Ins 1,619 0.08% View Results by District Locality Total: 1,913,950

If you have been southwest of Winchester, you would know this place is pretty damn conservative

Yea, I remember the "good ole' boys" down in that area. My sister went to Radford, and that area was similar. The argument was that Virginia was "one of the most conservative states in the union", not a conservative state.

The most conservative states are places like Utah, Idaho, Kansas, Wyoming, Oaklahoma, Nebraska, Montana. . .

Hell, what did Virginia vote for Bush, like 53 or 54%? That's not one of the most conservative states by a long shot. . . if it was, we'd all be talking about President Kerry :laugh:

Yea, I remember the "good ole' boys" down in that area. My sister went to Radford, and that area was similar. The argument was that Virginia was "one of the most conservative states in the union", not a conservative state.

The most conservative states are places like Utah, Idaho, Kansas, Wyoming, Oaklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas. . .

Hell, what did Virginia vote for Bush, like 53 or 54%? That's not one of the most conservative states by a long shot. . . if it was, we'd all be talking about President Kerry :laugh:

Gotcha

Bush v Gore, Bush got 52

Bush v Kerry Bush got 55

Yeah and around the NRV, oh boy its interesting. You have the liberal professors in the college towns, and then the scary townies

Quite a mix :doh:

Ok Chom, prove that Virginia isn't one of the most conservative states in the US. Virgina is 2nd behind Texas in executions, we still have anti-sodomy laws on the books, Republicans control the House/Senate/Lt Gov/Attorney Gen, and Virginia voted by a large margin for Bush in the last election.

What is the percentage in real estate and personal propery taxes?

The most conservative states are places like Utah, Idaho, Kansas, Wyoming, Oaklahoma, Nebraska, Montana. . .

The problem Chom is you think the Dems here are like the Dems in New England or in California. If they were they would never be elected.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/08/AR2005110802044_pf.html

wow, Nov. 28!

(hmmm, Warner and Kaine were awfully confident that their guy would win yesterday, despite the fact that he was trailing for most of the night....odd)

McDonnell, Deeds in Virtual Tie

Loser Can Request Recount After Board of Elections Certifies Results

By Maria Glod

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 9, 2005; A15

Democratic Sen. R. Creigh Deeds and Republican Del. Robert F. "Bob" McDonnell were virtually tied in the race for Virginia attorney general, and both campaigns said the race was too close to call.

Peter Jackson, Deeds's communications director, said last night that Deeds was awaiting the tallying of final votes as well as absentee ballots. "At the end of the day, all the votes have to be counted," Jackson said. "I'm sure Delegate McDonnell joins Senator Deeds in demanding that every vote is counted."

John Phillippe, McDonnell's spokesman, said the candidate would wait for final results. "It's so close that there will likely be a recount," he said.

Under Virginia law, the loser may request a recount but not until the state Board of Elections certifies the results Nov. 28. If the winner's lead is less than one-half of one percent, the state will pay for the recount, election officials said.

But why, with clear winners for both governor and lieutenant governor, was this race so close?

Toni-Michelle Travis, an associate professor of government and politics at George Mason University, said last night that the tight race might be attributed to the exposure both candidates have had outside Northern Virginia during years of public service.

"Creigh Deeds has a wide name recognition in parts of Virginia, and McDonnell does too," Travis said. "They are both well-known throughout the nonurban areas."

Voters in many jurisdictions split their ballots. In several locations, voters selected Democrat Timothy M. Kaine for governor but voted for McDonnell for attorney general. In Bath County, however, where Deeds was a prosecutor, voters favored Republican Jerry W. Kilgore but cast more ballots for Deeds.

Larry J. Sabato, director of the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia, said last night that the Deeds campaign was bolstered by the popularity of Democratic Gov. Mark R. Warner, and governor-elect Kaine. "A lot of this was coattails," Sabato said. But he said the final outcome remained uncertain. "Maybe there will be a recount. Who knows?" Sabato said.

Deeds (Bath), 47, and McDonnell (Virginia Beach), 51, who both made public safety reform a campaign centerpiece, are former prosecutors. Each also has spent 14 years in the Virginia General Assembly, and, in campaign stops, each stressed his work as a lawmaker on criminal justice issues.

McDonnell, a retired Army officer, was an assistant prosecutor in Virginia Beach before he was elected to the House in 1991. He has sponsored legislation to toughen penalties for drunk drivers and pushed for increased compensation for crime victims.

In his campaign for attorney general, McDonnell has made reform of sexual predator laws a key focus, saying he would push for 25-year mandatory sentences for people convicted of sexually assaulting children. He says a second offense should be punished with a life sentence, and he wants released sex offenders' movements monitored using Global Positioning System tracking.

Deeds, who was commonwealth's attorney in rural Bath County for four years, served 10 years in the House and four in the Senate when he was elected to fill the seat of Emily Couric of Charlottesville after she died in office. He sponsored measures that created Virginia's versions of the Amber Alert system, used to help find missing children, and Megan's Law, which tracks released sex offenders.

One of Deeds's most high-profile proposals was a 2001 constitutional amendment guaranteeing a right to hunt and fish, an effort that helped him secure the endorsement of the National Rifle Association in the attorney general's race.

Although public safety issues dominated the early race, in recent weeks both candidates have campaigned with the intent of using social issues to energize core supporters from their respective parties, said Joshua G. Behr, an assistant professor of political science at Old Dominion University.

In recent days, the Deeds campaign ran a television advertisement in Northern Virginia that emphasized McDonnell's ties to evangelist Pat Robertson, who gave $36,000 to McDonnell's campaign. McDonnell earned his law degree at Regent University in Virginia Beach, which was founded by Robertson in 1978.

The spot also emphasized McDonnell's antiabortion stance.

McDonnell, responding in statements to reporters, called Deeds "religiously intolerant" and described the television spot as an "attack on Christians across Virginia." McDonnell's campaign went on to describe what it called Deeds's "liberal record" and note that he was endorsed by NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia.

Yesterday morning, Shakuntala Ghare, 71, of Fairfax, an associate professor at Northern Virginia Community College, said her views on abortion caused her to cast a vote for Deeds. "I thought Deeds was more pro-choice for women," she said.

Dan Harris, 71, of the Leisure World retirement community, said he was thinking about safety when he supported McDonnell, whom he sees as tougher on criminals.

Staff writer Rosalind S. Helderman contributed to this report.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company

Like I just posted on another thread:

If we could just work out a deal to give Fairfax County to Maryland, Virginia would be fine. Barring that, they're going to destroy everything for the rest of us who are actually Virginians. Warner was one thing, Kaine is something completely different. No offense to anyone who lives there that isn't to blame, but the fact that this guy could win is a sign that the bad guys have finally won. 8 years in a row of having a governor who wasn't born here, elected by people who weren't born here. It's over. Goodbye Old Dominion, rest in peace.

Kaine is going to throw the door wide open to illegal immigrants in an attempt to turn the state for the Dems permananetly. Write it down now and watch it happen. The rest of us always knew NOVA would eventually stab us in the back for good. Congratulations, you finally did it.

Tell those rugged individualists south of Winchester to stop spending my money. That idiot Gilmore damn near bankrupted the state buying votes and now liberal NoVA (aka VA's piggy bank) is unable to get a property tax cut.

Also as has been the case for the last decade, both parties talk "fiscal responsibility" but only one has actually pulled it off.

Can you tell those rugged individualists south of Winchester to stop spending my money. That idiot Gilmore damn near bankrupted the state buying votes and now "liberal NoVA" (aka VA's piggy bank) is unable to get a property tax cut.

Can't put "liberal NOVA" in quotes. You elect Kaine, you are liberal. Period. It's nothing but the cancer spreading out from DC. Virginia is the first stop for liberals running south to get away from high taxes, and this is the result.

We'll see what Kaine does though. If he tries to do what he really wants to do, there's going to be some serious buyers' remorse from dupes south of NOVA who voted for Kaine/stayed home yesterday because Kilgore was weak and they're disgruntled with the GOP.

Im shocked I tell you SHOCKED that the non-liberal media is making this such a big story (insert as many sarcasm emoticons as possible here).

A popular conservative Democrat sitting Lt Gov held onto a seat held by an even more popular conservative Democrat. While a very Conservative Republican won the Lt Gov seat defeating a Dem and a Pat Robertson puppet won the AG seat.

This is supposed to be big news and a positive for the Democrats?

The big loser yesterday in the VA Gov election was Hillary Clinton. Mark Warner's status as a major player just skyrocketted.

Archived