Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is there such a big deal about Bush and VA

jbooma

Seeing as how I lived for almost 1/3rd of my life in VA., no I do not think so.

In otherwords, Yankee money is infultrating your state. . .just come out and say it, don't beat around the bush.

As for the "favorable conditions" . . . ummm, the only thing real favorable to VA is the proximity to DC. And when you have conservative leaders who expand government, the people have to live somewhere right.

It is people like yourself who cause the polarization of this country, and it reeks of hate radio. You need to stop being so polarized in your views, and actually look at the facts before spewing off false propaganda, distortions and outright hate filled dirbble like you have in your last couple of posts.

Actually Chom VA has one of the best unemployment rates in the states, heck Fairfax County has a 1.8 unemployment rate, which I believe is tops in the country.

There is no "yankee" money here, va has become one of the leaders in information technology and is exploding in so many different industries. There are many favorable conditions in this area, including great schools, strong real estate.

Hate radio isn't here, it is where the ignorant live, in the dc area we have the most people with higher education degrees, yes more then Boston :)

It is clear you have no clue what is going on in this state, and before you continue to look like a fool and try to tell us who live in the state I would not say anything.

Born and raised in Virginia, and happy to be the heck out of there. As far as I can tell, the parasites live in the "real" Virginia of which you are so proud. Tax dollars are sucked out of NoVa and transferred downstate to those disciples of "limited government," year after year, decade after decade. It's easy to spout about limited government when you get services that you don't have to pay for.

Actually Predicto it is not bad as you think. Don't know when you lived here last but northern VA is great :cheers: It is completely different now then even 5 years ago, pretty amazing what has happened to this area.

Exactly. Those rugged real virginians to the south talk a good game but never fail to use NoVA as a piggy bank. Also last I checked NoVA and it's absolutely BOOMING economy and housing market is creating the favorable conditions in this state, not the other way around.

BTW - Warner created favorable conditions. Gilmore did not.

:cheers::cheers:

Warner saved us from that idiot Gilmore. He got elected mainly due to a campaign promise that we still pay for this day.

I hope Warner would run for president, since he is a democrat I would vote for :cheers:

It's the state capitol. Therefore, the lawmakers are putting money into the roads they drive on every day. Mystery solved.

Even so, a lot of the pavement on the interstates around Richmond (especially 64 downtown) will knock both axles off your car if you're not careful, so let's not exaggerate too much here.

I would also say the roads in richmond are worse then in NOVA by far. Have any of you been down the PoWhite Pkwy before (that is the name) :laugh:

Chom my family is up in Mass the taxes are very high there, heck didn't you have state wide healthcare?

Booma, PROVE IT!!!!!

I have brought out proof which states the EXACT OPPOSITE, and sorry, but I don't believe your parents, especially when OUR tax rate is the same as YOUR tax rate.

Actually Chom VA has one of the best unemployment rates in the states, heck Fairfax County has a 1.8 unemployment rate, which I believe is tops in the country.

Where did I say anything about unemployment? How does this prove it is "conservative" or a "democrat" state?

There is no "yankee" money here, va has become one of the leaders in information technology and is exploding in so many different industries. There are many favorable conditions in this area, including great schools, strong real estate.

I never said there wasn't, but look where the money is coming from. As for ont of the "leaders" in information technology? I don't buy it. You will have a HELL of a lot of catching up to do in order to top the big three. Silicon Valley, the 128 belt and RTP. Virtually all it technology comes out of those three areas. Farafax county may be developing the infastructure, but they still have quite a ways to go to get to the big three still.

Hate radio isn't here, it is where the ignorant live, in the dc area we have the most people with higher education degrees, yes more then Boston :)

Umm, you don't get Rush Limbaugh? you don't get Michael Savage? Just because you don't listen to it does not meant that others don't either.

As for the % of educated people, yes more then Boston proper, but you have to remember Boston is a city. Mass does it different then Virginia as it is town governed, not county governed. There are many places in the Boston suburbs with much higher rates of college graduates then Farifax county.

Cambridge 65%

Wellesly 75%

Newton 75%

Medfield 61%

Marblehead 60%

Manchester 62%

Boxford 65%

It is just that the educated society up here lives in the suburbs, and not necessarily Boston.

It is clear you have no clue what is going on in this state, and before you continue to look like a fool and try to tell us who live in the state I would not say anything.

No Booma, you have since refuted absolutely nothing I have said about your state, and in fact I hardly talked about anything other then politics in your state. Your earlier posts AGREE and corroberate with my initial premise, that Virginia is NOT one of the most conservative states in the US. :doh:

So then the GOP would be upset if a Republican replaced Buch but they lost one seat in the house?

please.....

We all know some positions are of greater political value then others. The dems won the game....the GOP got a nice parting gift.

Actually if the situation was to match your qoute:

A republican won the Presidency

The Democrats won the House

The Senate was 49/2/49

And then the Republicans called that a victory :)

JBooma, your whole post presumes that Chomerics was somehow criticizing Virginia. He wasn't. He was defending Massachusetts, which is a different thing, and point out that Virginia is not an ultra-conservative state, not when compared to a Utah or a Kansas or a Mississippi or an Idaho. Why is that a bad thing? Seems like a compliment to me.

Information technology IS booming in Northern Virginia. Of course, this is because of government and defense contracting and the proximity of Washington and the Pentagon, not because of anything "conservative" or "liberal" about Virginia. Go to Tysons or Crystal City or out the Dulles Access Road and see who occupies all of those shiny buildings. They are all government affiliated companies and think-tanks (with the notable exception of AOL). This is not a bad thing - it is a natural economic development coinciding with the growth of the federal government and the military.

NoVa is rich and well-educated, as is Montgomery County Maryland. NoVa is more conservative than Montgomery County, but it ain't conservative like Oklahoma City, either.

And to return to the original argument NoVa gets screwed over by the rest of the state on tax revenues, rendering laughable the claims of "rugged self reliance" by our friend AJ_Skins.

Guest Gichin13

What I don't understand is why the folks in Nova don't just stand up for their rights. The biggest voting block is in Nova, so why do they let the rural areas take their money? Hampton Roads is almost just as gridlocked, and has the second biggest population but we too let our money disappear. I really don't understand what goes on in Richmond, but it's highway robbery.

Ultimately, I think it is that the rural areas carry more overall votes in the Senate primarily.

I also state the issue somewhat sarcastically -- in the end, No Va. is the economic engine of the state, Richmond and Tidewater to a lesser extent. I do not have a basic philosophical problem with that engine driving the state government, but I do have a problem with the inherent hypocrisy in some of the politics surrounding these issues.

Guest Gichin13
That's a ridiculous statement, but it shows what it always comes down to with liberals...hatred for Christianity.

Hmm, how is that? First, I am not a liberal, I am at best a centrist. I voted for Reagan, Bush I and Bush II (only the first time around, that was enough). I also have voted for John Warner in every election he has been up.

On the other hand, I voted against Ollie North. The mere fact a candidate like North can be placed up for vote in Virginia says alot. I voted for Bolling and for Kaine. Stop labelling me, especially if you are going to do it incorrectly.

Second, I am Christian. That does not mean I believe religion and politics should merge, in fact I am definitely opposed to that concept. I am getting tired of the mantra on the right that to question the injection of religion into politics is somehow to attack God. It has played well in elections but it is logically false.

The facts are the facts. The Republican party has been tied down by the religious right since at least the mind to late 1970's. Look it up -- John Warner, a great Senator since 1980, could not even get the nomination in Virginia during the convention because he ran against Dick Obenshain, a darling of the religious right.

As a result, what do we get in Virginia? We get more social conservatism crap with no fiscal reality from the Republicans. That is the opposite of what I want.

I want balanced budgets. I get Gilgore blowing the budget and almost trashing our AAA bond rating.

Instead, we get marriage amendments. We get Richmond telling Arlington it cannot provide partner benefits to homosexual couples working for the government despite the fact that local voters overwhelmingly approved the measure.

That led to what I believe was an extremely misguided decision on the part of some voters to split their ticket and abandon Kilgore in favor of a left-wing crook that they didn't take enough time to check out before they voted. Maybe Kaine will restrain himself. If not, the legislature will do it for him.

Nice spew. I especially like the "crook" part. What a joke.

Quote:

The only reason John Warner is a Senator is because Dick Obenshain was killed in a plane crash in 1979. Virginia Republicans have never liked Warner because he was never pro life or conservative enough for them on social issues. Budgetary conservatism and hawkish protection of national interests be damned.

Again, you're wrong. Even if he's occasionally "squishy" in a number of areas, his fiscal and national security conservatism are greatly appreciated, as is his seniority and the resulting strong hand it gives Virginia in Congress.

Maybe you should become more of a student of history. I am right on this. I know I am right.

Warner lost at the nominating convention in 1979. To Dick Obenshain. Darling of the religious right. After the convention, Obenshain was killed in a plane crash. The Republicans were forced to turn to Warner to step in a replace their original choice as candidate for Senate. Warner won the 1979 senate election and has been in office ever since.

Guest Gichin13
:cheers::cheers:

Warner saved us from that idiot Gilmore. He got elected mainly due to a campaign promise that we still pay for this day.

I hope Warner would run for president, since he is a democrat I would vote for :cheers:

I heard something last week that was new to me from two people I trust greatly so I believe it (they both are involved in lots of lobbying in Richmond). The idea to can the car tax actually came from Democrat Don Beyer who was Lt. Gov. He decided he could not use it because of the conflict with his car business. Mary Sue Terry did not want to use it. Gilmore jumped on it and the rest is history.

Archived