Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs is setting Other teams up !

Sknzfan

With all the WR Screen's....I'm waitng for Brunell to Fake the WR Screen and hit a Streaking WR down the Sideline.....If I'm not mistaken we ran at least 4 WR Screens last night.....and the Iggles played them quite well.....I think Gibbs is hoping that teams will over play the WR Screen and Burn them for it ...or at least " I " hope that 's what Gibbs is doing....anyway.....HAIL SKIN'S !!! :applause:

Here is my only problem with this theory. When you throw the WR screen it is from a two or three step drop. You are not very far from the interior line at that point. A pump fake also takes a tremendous amount of time. Not to mention the time it takes for the reciever to start running and head down field. You are setting yourself up to get waxed on a play like that. Also a good D-tackle, say Warren Sapp, would smell that and put his big mitt on the ball when Brunnel's arm is going backwards. I say we don't run that play with a fake, but that is just me.

Here is my only problem with this theory. When you throw the WR screen it is from a two or three step drop. You are not very far from the interior line at that point. A pump fake also takes a tremendous amount of time. Not to mention the time it takes for the reciever to start running and head down field. You are setting yourself up to get waxed on a play like that. Also a good D-tackle, say Warren Sapp, would smell that and put his big mitt on the ball when Brunnel's arm is going backwards. I say we don't run that play with a fake, but that is just me.

Warren Sapp? :laugh:

A pump and go would take about 2-3 seconds. If we can't block for that long to get Santana Moss zooming downfield then we deserve to get waxed. CP stands longer in the backfield during counter treys than Brunell would take throwing a pump and go.

We are throwing way too many wide receiver screens in my opinion.

Why is that a problem? They are mostly successful and no one has burned us on one yet. Sure, they are getting sniffed out by some defenses and aren't ALWAYS successful, but what play is?

As long as it works, keep doing what you're doing....

We are throwing a lot of screens and other teams are anticipating it because it is sort of our bread and butter...even last year. We need to look like we are doing it, as was said, and keep the other teams D honest by opening it up downfield.

The reason the Pats get away with it a lot more than us is because Brady can just as easily heave it accurately downfield as he does the screen. So it keeps the D honest. We need to do that.

With all the WR Screen's....I'm waitng for Brunell to Fake the WR Screen and hit a Streaking WR down the Sideline.....If I'm not mistaken we ran at least 4 WR Screens last night.....and the Iggles played them quite well.....I think Gibbs is hoping that teams will over play the WR Screen and Burn them for it ...or at least " I " hope that 's what Gibbs is doing....anyway.....HAIL SKIN'S !!! :applause:

I disagree. I think he's becoming predictable & just needs to make the adjustment to what you suggested.

I was thinking that last night, and was waiting for the fake and bomb to Moss but it never happened. Whatever it is, Gibbs went to that well a couple of times too many last night. I was sure Philly was going to pick one off and take it to the house.

Execution is key. It doesn't matter if we keep running screen plays and the other team knows it or not. If we execute it well it will work well.

Think about Portis' TD yesterday, I doubt a person in the stadium, or at home watching the game on TV didn't know it was going to be Portis up the middle, and what happened? TD.

Or the way KC won yesterday. Lined up everyone knew it was going to the tail back and it was going right up the middle, and what happened? TD.

Execution is key. It doesn't matter if the D knows it or not.

I disagree, I think Gibbs is calling all the screens to negate the teams that want to blitz. I was breaking down the Eagles game as it was unfolding. Gibbs used the motion man to identify whom the blitzer was on the overloaded side of the D-Line. That was something he borrowed from Shanahan a week earlier. The Eagles formula is out there; teams are going to break that blitzing pattern by spreading out the formations to make the Eagles dedicate one of their blitzers out on a route. Additionally, I liked the fact that Gibbs tested the stubbornness of the Eagle's Johnson because they refused to let Santana beat them. While doubling Santana they were leaving 1 LB to cover the flat, which at time included a WR. Gibbs kept Cooley and Sellers running straight for the whole in their D, which was just north of the flat and out of the LB's range. It's my guess that Santana will be free to see man coverage again in the near future because teams can't stomach giving up 100 + yards receiving to a Fullback/TE.

Archived