Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Portis Threads

Drkstar

Portis isn't the problem, watch good running teams play and you'll see the same thing I do. The offensive lines of good running teams open up huge holes and create cut back lanes with superior blocking by the entire team. The redskins O-ling opens nothing at all, and on a few plays some of them get flat out owned.

Portis played poorly again (for a starting RB) but made up for it by saving the game.

:banhim:

Portis = MVP of this game. I've never seen someone play with as much pure emotion and heart as I saw CP play with tonight. He was incredible, and I am proud to have him on the Redskins. He earned his B&G tonight, that is for SURE!!

:cheers: to Portis!

Clinton Portis gave SO much to Mark Brunell tonight against a defense that ALWAYS finds it's way to Redskin QBs. I too am very concerned about his yardage production. It's as if both Joe Gibbs AND Clinton Portis want CP to be a power back, grinding out the Ladell Betts carries while Ladell seems to get the outside running plays. It also seems that Clinton Portis is succeeding in situations where he has to emulate (gulp) Brian Westbrook. :) Portis was open for more than a couple dump-offs tonight when the pass went further downfield at the last second. The passes he does receive are so key so I love what he brings to our team.

I do, however, see the 1-yard (or less) carries that are doomed from the handoff because CP simply gets "confused" at the line of scrimmage. I also see the stumbling and the tackles unbroken. It's so frustrating.

Go CP. I love ya, man. They gotta get you to the outside.

I'm just asking for a century mark. Is that too much to ask for a starting running back? Good blocking and hustle should come standard. If you can't get a hundo running than find other ways to get him the ball as a reciever. He is too talented to not have a bigger impact on this offense.

Clinton Portis has been ripped alot for just being a product of a good offensive line in Denver.

He has had his struggles rushing the ball with the Skins but he deserves some credit for being a complete player.

He is a fantasic blocker and he is a good reciever.

He isn't exactly running behind the 80's hogs. The offensive line was a mess last year and he's averaging around 4.5 yards a rush this year.

His numbers may not show it but he was a big factor in the win tonight.

That tackle he made after the fumble was huge.

:logo:

:banhim:

Portis = MVP of this game. I've never seen someone play with as much pure emotion and heart as I saw CP play with tonight. He was incredible, and I am proud to have him on the Redskins. He earned his B&G tonight, that is for SURE!!

:cheers: to Portis!

Absolutely. He picked up so many key blocks on blitzes by the Eagles, that catch he had on the side line, the tackle he made on the fumble.

He played his guts out

I'm just asking for a century mark. Is that too much to ask for a starting running back? Good blocking and hustle should come standard. If you can't get a hundo running than find other ways to get him the ball as a reciever. He is too talented to not have a bigger impact on this offense.

So if he got 100 and we lost, would you have been happy?

If he rushes for just one yard, but that one yard is the game winning TD, then I'm happy. 100 is just a number.

Also, I think it's more our o line than Portis. Our O line seems to be just a tad too slow for Portis...

The coaches have to realize the o-line is'nt getting any movement especially that turd Dockery. Atleast he made his best play of the year recovering a fumble. Did you see him with his back to the defense on a pull like he was watching CP run and actually tackled and hurt him. We need Steve Hutchinson he continues to plow holes for Shaun Alexander.

Portis is being hit before he even makes it to the LOS. The oline is'nt generating any movement. And were trying to force him in between the tackles.

I'd bet money right now he would be near 100 yards every game with 25 carries if they'd run to his strenghts. Sure zone blocking would be great but how about some outside pitches. Some of the fake to the FB flip it wide misdirection kinda plays like Tatum Bell runs and burnt us on. How about some shovel passes,draws,runs from the shotgun, etc anything to get him into space.

I honestly can't believe the coaches can't see that the line is'nt giving the guy any room to run and thier not adjusting to his strenghts. Please for the love of my heart quit running him into a pile no wonder he is nicked up.

For what it's worth, statistically, Portis did better than Tomlinson's 17 carries and 7 yards against the same defense. Portis did a lot of things today that don't show up in stats, and also had some good catches.

Exactly what I was going to say. Also, I was out of my seat cheering for him when he took on blocking Jevon Kearse all by himself.

So if he got 100 and we lost, would you have been happy?

If he rushes for just one yard, but that one yard is the game winning TD, then I'm happy. 100 is just a number.

Also, I think it's more our o line than Portis. Our O line seems to be just a tad too slow for Portis...

I don't know if they're too slow but they certainly aren't opening up the holes you'd like to see. If you noticed, just about every one of his runs that didn't get good yardage started with him getting hit or avoiding a hit in the backfield. For example, when Kearse tackled him on that pitch to the right, Sellers dove for Kearse's feet trying to knock him down but Kearse dodged him and Seller's just ended up taking himself out of the play and eating grass. It seems like they're so close so many times but all it takes is one blocker not getting a full hat on somebody and you've got problems in the backfield. What I don't understand is why this offensive line won't play to their potential. They're so strong and talented, and while they've been doing much better this year, they're still plenty of room for improvement. What's really suprising to me is, I thought they would take longer to gel in pass protection than run blocking. All in all, I think Portis has been huge this year. No running back can put up numbers without good holes (Barry Sanders may be the exception to that) and right now, he's not getting them. Very strange, especially considering the passing game is doing everything it needs to do to take pressure off the running game. Hopefully, this o-line can get a little more on the same page in the running game in the next couple weeks.

Portis is a great all around player. He can pass block, he can catch, and he can run well. The only problem is that Gibbs is using 50gut too much and he's too small and fast for that, especially when there aren't any holes opening up.

I agree try the stretch play. And the toss plays. Not to mention let's see some play action.

Clinton Portis is a good player and a good team mate to have with a lots of heart. End of story. Stop hating on him.

Archived