Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advantage Giants?

N.YFootballGiants

Coach could give the midgets our playbook and it still won't help the midgets D stop our O. The only chance the midgets have is if their O is awesome all game AND they are +2 in critical position turnovers.

Don't get me wrong I think the midgets can win this one but I think a big win by the 'skins is more likely.

(I'm not having a go at the OP it's just my opinion on the matchup this week)

I don't think it's ever that big of an advantage for anyone except maybe those individual players. There really isn't much they will be able to tell the team or coaches that can't be viewed on game tape. Pierce personally might get a slight advantage from being able to read and react to behaviors quicker, but then I have to wonder how much does he remember from when Brunell was under center. He knows nothing of Moss or Patten. Sellars wasn't hardly even in the picture last year. Betts didn't run nearly as much as he does know. The shotgun didn't exist. And most importantly the line is completely changed. You have two new bodies in Rabach and Jansen, who are good enough players to have impacted the play and tendency of the other three around them.

Defensively he may help a little, cause he seemed to really understand Williams tendencies, but last year we Blitzed like made and the 3-4 didn't exist. This year we've actually Blitzed less and Arrington has really caused a whole new demsion to the D that even Williams hasn't fully exploited yet.

Coach Williams said he would install about a third of his play book a season, so AP only knows the basics of the system with another third in place at this point. On the O side, there have been some changes also. Don't know if it helps the Giants or not........

I would be worried if I were relying on information I got last year to call a play. If I were AP I might just second guess whether or not the offense has not changed a few things since he was there. Besides there has been times when the opposing D has called the plays and Brunell has confimed it during the snap cadence that thier call was right...and we are still sucessful getting the plays off and getting conversions. As for Hasselbeck I dont think he even met Musgrave and that means he does not know anything about our new O scheme.

I think being familiar with our system may help Pierce as a player within the Giants team. However unless he has gained some psychic powers in the last 6 months i doubt he will be able to turn that knowledge into too much of an advantage this weekend.

It should be an exciting game between two very evenly matched teams.

I don't think so. The Giants look at film just like every other team. They know exactly what to expect from the Greg Williams defense. A player might have something to add, but it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that sometimes the player will have a little more energy and focus to beat their former team. So i would look for Pierce and Skin's Griffin to have solid performances.

The only advantage present lies with the hometeam. Antonio Pierce isn't going to "outscheme" Greg Williams because he remembers some plays from last year, and Hasselbeck's knowledge of the watered down version of the Gibbs playbook won't help the G men stop the Juggernaut we call the Skins offense.

It won't be much of an advantage because the types of things that can help the Giants will be accounted for. Hand signals and calls Pierce or Hasselbeck might know will be adjusted. Or, better, they will be maintained, shown to the Giants letting them feel we will do something because we just did, then, suddenly switched to create a big play.

Nothing the Redskins are doing on offense is all that sneaky. We just have enough weapons and accuracy at the QB to make it hard for teams to defend, so, Hasselbeck can tell the Giants what might be coming, but, whether they have the personnel to stop it is the question. Defensively even if Pierce recognizes a defense there's nothing he can do from the sidelines to help his offense.

Do the Giants have an advantage because we have Pierce and Hasselbeck on our sideline?

I'm not saying does that mean the Giants will win, I'm asking is that an advantage?

I think it helps them understand certain details of our offensive or defensive schemes perhaps, but nothing more. Copius film study, which is what all teams do, yields most of the information for your game plan.

Besides, Gibbs has already referenced an anecdote where they changed a "hitch" signal to a "hitch-and-go" signal when he was an assistant with the Chargers under Coryell and up against a former QB on their team, and of course the CB bit on the hitch and they got a big play. The 'Skins are big on self-scouting and looking for their own trends, so I'm sure they've got their signals changed for this game.

I liked Pierce as a Skin and I still think he's a quality player. But his role with the Redskins will not suddenly reveal glaring gaps in the Wahington defense. As for Hasselbeck...what information would he divulge? The horizontal passing game? Things in DC have changed, at least one of them will see first hand.

Do the Giants have an advantage because we have Pierce and Hasselbeck on our sideline?

I'm not saying does that mean the Giants will win, I'm asking is that an advantage?

Essentially a QB on offense and one on defense. Didn't realize you all had picked up Hasselback. Always liked him. Too bad for us.

Mioght help a little but Williams is playing mostly different schemes this year and obviously our offense is a lot different. Not a game decided IMHO.

I also don't buy into alot of it either. The reasons have been stated clearly above. I will add that if it comes down to player familiarity, ( as in with each other and physical and playing abilities), I've stated several times this week that this works both ways. A.P. may know the guys across the line of scrimmage, but they know him too. Just another angle on it.

Archived