Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Texans screwed by Refs

Taylor 36

Did anyone notice that the refs screwed the Texans out of a down on their last drive in the first half. I even had to rewind my DVR to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

Carr threw for a first down on 3rd and 16. The ESPN marker on the screen said 1st and 10, but the side line official holding the stick changed it to a two. After the next play, which was an incomplete pass, both the ESPN marker and the side line marker went to three. Another incomplete pass after that and they moved the marker to four. The Texan had a timeout and six seconds left on the clock, but tried a long FG and missed it because of the screw up by the officials. The Texans did not even seem to notice. Those refs should be fined or fired for such a disgrace.

I have to admit Im only kinda watching it, Im paying more attention to the game on nfl.com for stats. If this is true, then the refs shouldnt be blamed the Texan coaching staff should be blamed. Theres no way a coaching staff should let that happen, and theres no way the refs can get away with it.

It's true. I have rewound it three times to check. Once for myself and twice to show my brother.

I agree that the coaches should take some heat for it, but there is no excuse for the officials to let it happen in the first place. This goes well beyond a blown call.

He spiked the ball. That's why the clock stopped.

1-15-HOU47 (:35) D.Carr pass incomplete to D.Davis (K.Bentley).

2-15-HOU47 (:31) D.Davis left tackle to HST 48 for 1 yard (K.Bentley).

3-14-HOU48 (:22) D.Carr pass to C.Bradford pushed ob at SEA 37 for 15 yards (K.Herndon).

1-10-SEA37 (:15) D.Carr spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-SEA37 (:15) D.Carr pass incomplete to C.Bradford.

3-10-SEA37 (:10) D.Carr pass incomplete to J.Gaffney.

4-10-SEA37 (:06) K.Brown 56 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-B.Pittman, Holder-C.Stanley.

I agree that the coaches should take some heat for it, but there is no excuse for the officials to let it happen in the first place. This goes well beyond a blown call.

I disagree. A blown call happens and the coach screams and the ref ignores him, yet if they steal a down from you and your staff is too dense to realize it thats on your shoulders.

First off, if your O coordinator isnt taking down and yards to first into consideration into his play calling you need to get rid of him. So right there thats way worse than a blown call, cause that is occurring every down.

Second, if your head coach isnt aware enough to realize that a down was stolen from him thats way worse than a blown call cause its happening every down.

This is a Redskin board, we are painfully aware of how pittifull refs are, yet I still dont buy the story I cant believe the Texans werent up in arms about it. That just doesnt add up.

::edit::

ATB comes through, I had wandered away from the keyboard before I sent this one.

He spiked the ball. That's why the clock stopped.

1-15-HOU47 (:35) D.Carr pass incomplete to D.Davis (K.Bentley).

2-15-HOU47 (:31) D.Davis left tackle to HST 48 for 1 yard (K.Bentley).

3-14-HOU48 (:22) D.Carr pass to C.Bradford pushed ob at SEA 37 for 15 yards (K.Herndon).

1-10-SEA37 (:15) D.Carr spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-SEA37 (:15) D.Carr pass incomplete to C.Bradford.

3-10-SEA37 (:10) D.Carr pass incomplete to J.Gaffney.

4-10-SEA37 (:06) K.Brown 56 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-B.Pittman, Holder-C.Stanley.

He never spiked the ball. I have it on right now on the DVR. The clock stopped because the the receiver went out of bounds. There would not have been a reason for him to spike the ball due to that anyway.

He never spiked the ball. I have it on right now on the DVR. The clock stopped because the the receiver went out of bounds. There would not have been a reason for him to spike the ball due to that anyway.

...jobbed by the refs AND the NFL.com play-by-play guy...

Well, it's a good thing the Seahawks won by a zillion points. The refs do really need to get their acts together though.

Hmm. I think you're right. I've looked up the rules; the "clock stops when runner goes out of bounds" rule seems to apply within five minutes of the end of the second half AND within two minutes of the end of the first half. Very strange.

Yeah, it is really strange that they would even post that he spiked the ball on NFL.com, when it obviously didn't happen. I'm trying to see if I can get it from my DVR onto my computer to post a link for those who don't have Tivo or a DVR (since I know no one would purposefully tape this crappy game). It may have to wait until tomorrow though.

I'm confused. Doesn't the clock ALWAYS stop when someone goes out of bounds?

only in the last 2 minutes of the first half, and the last 5 minutes of the second half. The clock stops all other times when someone goes out of bounds untill the ball is set at the new line of scrimmage, then the clock rolls again once the ball is set by the ref.

well I cant really fault you for it, its a pretty new rule. Only been in effect for a couple of years. I had a near knuckle brawl with my brother in law over that when the rule came out. It wasnt heavily publicized, and I think the reason they didnt hype it was cause they did it to fit the games into a more managable tv package. Some games werent getting enough tv timeouts cause the clock wasnt moving do to the out of bounds routes and loads of passing. Its possible the west coast offense spurred the rule change.

Next time your watching a game, take notice of how often they goto commericals vs how often the team runs. You will find that running teams show more commericals than heavy pass teams, cause the pass teams stop the clock with incompletes and that prolongs the game and disrupts the 3 hour product package the nfl is going for. A running team burns way more clock, so they have to use tv timeouts to extend the game.

Have you ever noticed durring some games after a punt or a change of possesion they dont goto commericial, thats cause the game clock is moving slower than scheduled. The rule keeps the game clock moving and easier to manage to keep it in the 3 hour window.

well I cant really fault you for it, its a pretty new rule. Only been in effect for a couple of years. I had a near knuckle brawl with my brother in law over that when the rule came out. It wasnt heavily publicized, and I think the reason they didnt hype it was cause they did it to fit the games into a more managable tv package. Some games werent getting enough tv timeouts cause the clock wasnt moving do to the out of bounds routes and loads of passing. Its possible the west coast offense spurred the rule change.

Next time your watching a game, take notice of how often they goto commericals vs how often the team runs. You will find that running teams show more commericals than heavy pass teams, cause the pass teams stop the clock with incompletes and that prolongs the game and disrupts the 3 hour product package the nfl is going for. A running team burns way more clock, so they have to use tv timeouts to extend the game.

Have you ever noticed durring some games after a punt or a change of possesion they dont goto commericial, thats cause the game clock is moving slower than scheduled. The rule keeps the game clock moving and easier to manage to keep it in the 3 hour window.

I feel so used and dirty.

I didn't know that either, I assumed the refs were just trying to make the game go by faster, not that it was actually in the rules.

If we blame anyone for this blame the texans they were getting penalties after each play, i think the refs were just trying to get out of there because it felt like an nfl europe team out there

only in the last 2 minutes of the first half, and the last 5 minutes of the second half. The clock stops all other times when someone goes out of bounds untill the ball is set at the new line of scrimmage, then the clock rolls again once the ball is set by the ref.

Hmmm. Never knew that, I guess I've always subconciously wondered. Thanks for the tidbit. :helmet:

Archived