Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Lavar column -- this guy gets it :).

Art

The fact the skins would allow an article on their own site that bashes Lavar is outrageous.

There's a few thing s to say there, but to keep it brief, this was not a LaVar bashing article, it was a LaVar understanding article. If you read it, you must have seen a few positive words written about him.

LaVar is a rare talent possessing unique physical gifts while accepting those physical talents may not always negate some apparent flaws in his game....I'm over here with this group.

There were some other parts, perhaps more of them, that called the situation what it is, and there's only so much positive spin anyone can put on this saga. That's not bashing.

Art is also proving to be a very good teacher.

I seriously need to cease with the broadscope attempts at nuanced anaylsis of all things burgundy and gold, set against a backdrop of historical and sometimes culinary context, and intead start singling out the most hot-button controversial subject du jour, and setting fire to it.

Thankfully, I'm still young. It's not too late to learn from wise old men. :)

Yours,

Junior

Art is also proving to be a very good teacher.

I seriously need to cease with the attempts at broadscope attempts at nuanced anaylsis of all things burgundy and gold, set against a backdrop of historical and sometimes culinary context, and intead start singling out the most hot-button controversial subject du jour, and setting fire to it.

Thankfully, I'm still young. It's not too late to learn from wise old men. :)

Yours,

Junior

Melancholy, Junior. Melancholy.

Nice post I feel speaks for the non spamming majority, but maybe should have added something like 'THE COACHES HAVE THE RESPECT AND TRUST OF THEIR PLAYERS - THEY WILL NOT SACRIFICE THIS JUST TO KEEP FANS INFORMED' and add a fedex link to mail out some large wooden mallets that some people obviously need to smack themselves in the head repeatedly with....

This seems pretty reasonable. No one is assaulting Arrington's intelligence. Arrington was out while the bulk of the defense was put in and he has been working to catch up within the defense to get better.

Mmm, okay, but how do you factor Holdman in then?

LaVar has been in 18 months' worth of meetings and has played half a dozen games in Williams's system. Holdman has only the 2005 offseason and four games.

Why would LaVar be working to catch up mentally yet Holdman is ready to go?

No one may be purposefully, explicitly, assaulting LaVar's intelligence, but when the predominant reason that a "new" guy (Holdman) is on the field and you're not, is not knowing the system (despite the fact the new guy has known the system for six months, and you've known it for three times that length), the unspoken message most certainly *is* that you haven't grasped the system mentally despite three times more opportunity to do so.

LaVar's conclusion in that regard certainly has merit.

There's a few thing s to say there, but to keep it brief, this was not a LaVar bashing article, it was a LaVar understanding article. If you read it, you must have seen a few positive words written about him.

There were some other parts, perhaps more of them, that called the situation what it is, and there's only so much positive spin anyone can put on this saga. That's not bashing.

Once again all of this is Danny's problem for marketing a guy and selling him to the Redskin public before he knew about his full profile as a player. Darrell Green never had to be marketed. Brian Mitchell never had to be marketed. This article hits the nail right on the head. I really like Lavarr. He has a HUGE upside. I hope he can get it together because his contribution is what this defense needs to be number 1! I'm pulling for him and fully trust the coaches to put him in when the time is right.

LaVar has been in 18 months' worth of meetings and has played half a dozen games in Williams's system. Holdman has only the 2005 offseason and four games.

No one may be purposefully, explicitly, assaulting LaVar's intelligence, but when the predominant reason that a "new" guy (Holdman) is on the field and you're not, is not knowing the system (despite the fact the new guy has known the system for six months, and you've known it for three times that length), the unspoken message most certainly *is* that you haven't grasped the system mentally despite three times more opportunity to do so.

Have you considered that he is reticent to play within the system?

dont give me the crap about not knowing the system and not even getting 1 snap last week. gibbs will not trade him though because if he wanted to he would have already done it.(huge hit for coles) he is just trying to mold and harness his ability before he cuts him loose.i just cant beleive all u people that have jumped off his bandwagon all of a sudden.but wait,i can, just like you all jumped off Brunell's last year and now back on it.well,i have been and are still on Brunell's and Lavar's!!! free Lavar!!!! :cheers:

its about time someone brings that up. And Holdman sure aint doing a great job in this defense. I thought the best players were suppose to be on the field. i dont understand how holdman has such a good grasp on this starting job. Poor Marcus is gonna have to sack, tackle and force turnovers all by himself, cuzz holdman nor lemar will do so. Marcus is gonna have to be what Levar was three years ago. How come Williams did so good with Spikes as his top dog but cannot make ends meet with Levar. They are both freaks of nature athletes.

Just when we thought all we needed was for our offense to be a little better. Now we have to want for a defense to get back to 2004 status.

4 sacks, and a negative turnover ratio every game.

Damn its tough being a Redskin Fan.

Good point. Thats why when everyone keeps saying the coaches said this or that, I'm like there's room to dispute what they're saying also. Once again though, I wish they'd all kiss and make up and lets pull together.

I think you miss the point.

Holdman was here, working while the entire defense was put in. Lavar wasn't. Holdman would naturally be ahead because he's had more time than Lavar has.

and the downstream plan is....?

spin control?

It would be beneficial if you'd order your thoughts in such a way as others knew what you were asking :). I think the downstream plan is to play Lavar when he's ready or cut/trade him if he never proves to be. But, I would imagine that's the downstream plan with every single player on the roster, so, what else do you want?

The only area where I will question the coaching staff right now is this: I don't think the apparent policy of not speaking publicly about player moves is working. You leave the fans in the dark, carefully making only positive comments about a player, and then all of a sudden people realize what you've been saying in public doesn't match up with what you actually intend to do with that player. Happened with Ramsey, happening now with Arrington. "Oh yeah, he's great. Oh yeah, we want him to be a big contributor." Then all of a sudden, he's on the bench. Even if there may be positive intentions behind it, it clearly doesn't work in this era of "new media". Maybe somebody should try to get that point through to the staff. They've done a lot of good things to create a state-of-the-art media operation, but the info coming from the coaches right now is not very "adept" or "savvy" at all.

You seem to think that the coaches tailor how they handle the media to how the fans feel. Wrong!! It's much more important to protect the team, including the players you are having issues with.

You can bet Lavar's teammates know exactly why he's not playing, and, given the success without him, are not going to choose his side over the coaches. However, if the coaches step out and throw Lavar under the bus by discussing the real problem in a public forum, the players will lose trust and respect for the staff. It's called Leadership, guys.

It isn't important to the on field success of the team that the fans know the inside info on these kind of deals. That there are those questioning the situation given the pedigree of the coaching staff, the play of the defense without Lavar, and the overall improvement of the team as a whole doesn't speak to how the situation is being handled, it speaks to the ignorance of the fan who can't grasp this simple fact.

Archived