Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Lavar column -- this guy gets it :).

Art

There is not enough film to evaluate this because Lavar has only played in 2 full games in this system...and they were both before he got injured...if you think that you are going to get the same Lavar that was leaping all over the place, you are mistaken...he is not going to be the same player he was before he injured his knee.

yup just like terry allen wasnt the same player after he had 7 surgeries on both knees and then had 3 awesome seasons with the Skins. or Edgerin James or .....

Soooo...everyone who's calling Marcus Washington, Joe Gibbs, and Gregg Williams a liar, raise your hand. They are all saying the same thing, and so is Art. Something is up with the leg, LaVar's trust in the leg, or the coach's trust in the leg/Lavar's ability to play on the leg. All the conspiracry theorist's out there who think that the coaches are limiting LaVar's playing time because he irked The Danny over the disputed $6mil in his MONSTER contract need to send me whatever they're smoking, because it must be the stickiest of the icky. $6 mil to the Danny is nickles and dimes to you and I. Noone wants to win more than the coaches, its their job. Everyone who says "Lavar gives us the best chance to win, period" must be watching more film, attending more practices, and have more on the line than our coaches do, because these guys aren't going to sacrafice productivity on defense to spite a player, prove a point, or simply F with the fans. Come on guys, anyone who doesn't see this situation for what it is...what Marcus Washington, Gibbs, Williams, and Art say it is; have joined LaVar on the "my version of reality accomidates my personal viewpoint, so it must be the truth, bandwagon". LaVar is a prideful, emotional, talented, freak of an athlete...I'm sure he will play when he beats out Holdman in practice, even if he has too much pride to admit it. :logo:

Good article. It's both good and bad that we live in a football crazed town, bad side however we have non-stop drama that the media tries to create. Like a big soap opera for guys, it's horrible and when the players aren't playing they are probably reading the paper and seeing all this trash being talked about him. I would probably get lured into the drama as well, his reactions are understandable.

I doubt Marcus, Gibbs or Williams is "lying". I just have a feeling we're not getting the entire story, not that it really matters. Gibbs has given Williams final say over who starts and who plays so, based on our defensive results thus far, do you really think Gibbs is going to question his reasoning or motives?

I'm certainly not going to say Lavar should be starting. Do I think he could be an asset to the team if he saw the field? Absolutely. I also don't think he'd be the liability some people are making him out to be. I also know that, if we were getting more pressure on the QB and more turnovers, all of this questioning would be moot.

I think I've had just about ALL of my questions on this subject answered except one. Lavar was a starter at the beginning of last season before getting hurt. We all understand that being hurt set him back. My question is, "Has the defense changed so dramatically from last year to this year that Lavar can't even get on the field when he was starting before?"

If someone from the team can confirm this (and NO, Marcus Washington did not), in addition to telling me all of the other linebackers, including Holdman in his FIRST YEAR HERE, have passed Lavar by then all of my questions will have been answered and I really won't wonder what's going on any more. Until then, I'll still suspect there are "other" reasons why he's sitting.

Guest Gichin13

I think I've had just about ALL of my questions on this subject answered except one. Lavar was a starter at the beginning of last season before getting hurt. We all understand that being hurt set him back. My question is, "Has the defense changed so dramatically from last year to this year that Lavar can't even get on the field when he was starting before?"

If someone from the team can confirm this (and NO, Marcus Washington did not), in addition to telling me all of the other linebackers, including Holdman in his FIRST YEAR HERE, have passed Lavar by then all of my questions will have been answered and I really won't wonder what's going on any more. Until then, I'll still suspect there are "other" reasons why he's sitting.

After reading a lot and thinking a lot on this, I think Lavar's actions regarding the contract dispute really hurt his position on the team.

I do not think Danny has the secret "bench Lavar as a lesson" plan. I just think Lavar running his mouth about the contract dispute during the season, then attacking the coaches for "bringing him back before he was ready" fried all trust in his capacity to be a team player. Now he is going to have to walk through fire to earn that trust, and blasting his gums crying about playing time on the John Thompson show is not the way to do it.

Can anyone summarize Rick Walker's overall response to this situation? Doc seems to believe that Lavar should be playing and he is generally biased towards the coaching staff if anything ...

Yeah and the coaches say there was no situation in the Bronco game that fit putting Lavar in. Oh the term their using is package. I don't believe that. Lavar isn't clean in this but neither are the coaches. Both sides need to stop this.

Exactly!!!!!

We can argue until our damned faces turn blue, but both sides have wronged in this situation.

LaVar for b*tching to no end, and then saying he isn't trying to b*tch.

And the coaching staff for saying on two occasions that he "wasn't in the package." It is just a bull:pooh: excuse...

LaVar isn't a saint (far from it), but neither are the coaches that said he wasn't in the packages.

Heres to a win in KC.

:cheers:

I doubt Marcus, Gibbs or Williams is "lying". I just have a feeling we're not getting the entire story, not that it really matters. Gibbs has given Williams final say over who starts and who plays so, based on our defensive results thus far, do you really think Gibbs is going to question his reasoning or motives?

I'm certainly not going to say Lavar should be starting. Do I think he could be an asset to the team if he saw the field? Absolutely. I also don't think he'd be the liability some people are making him out to be. I also know that, if we were getting more pressure on the QB and more turnovers, all of this questioning would be moot.

I feel the exact same way...

Everytime a question like that is asked, we are given a turn-around answer...

(Something like this is usually the answer)

"LaVar has been injured and needs to learn more before he can play."

I know we aren't being told something, thats why this situation is so confusing to all of us.

If Lavar doesn't get it why did we agree to pay him so much money! People talk and talk about ST even Williams, where was our "strong safty" on all those long runs the last two games when Alexander and Bell made our #5 D look so easy to run against. Lavar is a play maker please turn him loose!

There is no doubt that Coach Williams has done a good job on defense. The Skins are ranked 5th. What is keeping them form being ranked 3rd, like last year, or even higher? No turnovers, plain and simple, or at least not enough to make a difference. When a player with the talent that Lavar has is playing, the offense has to make adjustments first of all, which can take them out of thier usual game plan. Second of all, he can blitz like no other person on the team. With someone like Lavar breathing down the QB's neck, he is going to throw more interceptions. He is going to be sacked more often. And when Lavar hits someone at full throttle, chances are the ball is coming loose. The coaches say he isnt ready.....but my question is how is he ever going to be ready sitting on the bench. Put him on the field and turn him lose. Give the man some motivation to become the player they want him to be. And while we are discussing coaching decisions, what the heck is going on with the non-use of Thrash? He was a great TE for the skins but they traded him away to the eagles, where he lead the team in receptions, and we get him back and all he does is return punts? What the heck, over.

Its all about his contract look it up, thats why he is not playing... This year defense is not as good as last year. Still no pass rush let Lavar rush the passer. Double talk by the coaches.

I dont agree. I think the defense is all of what it was last year....and then some. Also not to mention a DRASTIC improvement on the offensive line. All around a better, more solid skins team. It could only go better if LaVar were on the field...

:eaglesuck

Lame excuses as we saw today in the kansas city game Larry Johnon is used in situation and play that he excels in.

You can't tell me that throughout the entire game there arent situations or a play that he can be used especially in obvious passing situations.

I dont agree. I think the defense is all of what it was last year....and then some. Also not to mention a DRASTIC improvement on the offensive line. All around a better, more solid skins team. It could only go better if LaVar were on the field...

what defense you looking. This year defense has nothing to do with last year. Do ever say that again. Defense last year didnt give up this many points and they were on the field longer. And our turnover ratio wasn't in the negatives. So please let me know where the defense of this year is "and some" compared to last year.

You know what's worse than not having Arrington on the field? Having him on the Giants, Philly, or Dallas defense which is exactly where he is going if the coaching staff doesnt get their act together. I assure you he is next coming of Lawrence Taylor and will keep the skins out of the superbowl if traded to an NFL east team.

LaVar is becoming a issue for the goodness of the team and as we all saw we won without him and we can totally do without his issues!

and we continue to lose without him, we have given up 49 points in two weeks and haven't even sniffed the other qb or a turnover

No one may be purposefully, explicitly, assaulting LaVar's intelligence, but when the predominant reason that a "new" guy (Holdman) is on the field and you're not, is not knowing the system (despite the fact the new guy has known the system for six months, and you've known it for three times that length), the unspoken message most certainly *is* that you haven't grasped the system mentally despite three times more opportunity to do so.

LaVar's conclusion in that regard certainly has merit.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I've read, and listened and so far I've heard no one suggesting that Lavar is not intelligent enough to cope with the system, except Levar himself and a few couch coaches.

What I have heard and read are comments that are saying that Levar is not ready to play in the system. Another way of putting it might be to say that Levar is smart enough to understand the system, but not smart enough to recognise that he has to swallow his pride and work within the system instead of demanding that the system work around him. Levar is a great athelete, a great natural player, but the lone maverick doesn't play so well when the system is all important. If this is a no-face defence where no one person is more important thatn the other, then Levar has to find a way to work within that. I have no doubt he is capable of understanding the scheme, I am personally unsure whether he is ready, or willing (and therefore able) to do so. Until he is ready, until he recognises that his route back to starting is to work with the coaches and the system I figure his playing time will be quite limited.

Look, it's not about intelligence, Levar could have a 150 IQ, but if Levar is not smart enough to buy into the system and the coaching of the coaching staff, then Levar isn't smart enough to play. Everything I read and hear points to Levar being unwilling or unable to buy into the system.

Perhaps he needs to ignore the agents and publiscists and listen to the players and coaches?

LaVar is becoming a issue for the goodness of the team and as we all saw we won without him and we can totally do without his issues!

Oops! Aren't we over anxious to bash LaVar. When did "we win without him"? Last year's 6-10 season? Or the last two games we lost without LaVar in at all? Why would you say that, except that you would prefer LaVar be worse than he is.

I think people like you have "issues" about LaVar not vice versa.

Archived